Mykonos

We really love Mykonos. Lovely place to walk about with some nice bars in the little harbour area. Walk through the streets until you come to the windmills with lovely views down to what I think is nicknamed little Venice or so we were told.

We really love Mykonos. Lovely place to walk about with some nice bars in the little harbour area. Walk through the streets until you come to the windmills with lovely views down to what I think is nicknamed little Venice or so we were told.
According to whatsinport, the ships dock 30 minute walk away from the town. Do you know if there is usually a shuttle bus ?

After all the research I did for Fire and Ice for places we didn't go to :rolleyes: I suppose I'd better start researching for places we might not go to on Aegean Delights :D

Has anyone got any info on what to do in Mykonos?

We love Mykonos Linda. Very picturesque, quaint and unlike anywhere else I've been. It's sometimes a tender port (why we came unstuck last month, boo hoo) but if you are tendered you are dropped at the harbour right in the centre of town. There is a dock (one ship only I think) but the berth is a little out of town. Not far - you can see it from the harbour perhaps a bit over a mile round the bay I'd estimate but I'd recommend you use the shuttle to get into town if you dock there as there is no pavement iirc and it's quite a busy road and the traffic seems to whip along.

But whether you use the tender or shuttle, once in town it's so easy to explore on your own. The narrow paved streets are like a maze and traffic free at least apart from some small three wheeled type delivery vehicles. It's so pretty with some beautiful shops - some quite expensive but lots of craft, art and designer shops which are lovely and interesting to look around. There is a square where the famous pelican wanders around. It has a name but I can't remember it. It looks huge close to!!! :eek:

You can walk up to the iconic windmills (the ones photographed in many tourist shots you see of Greece) and round the headland if you want to stroll further. There is also a beach round there although it's a natural beach - no beach furniture or cafe etc and I've only seen it from a distance so don't know what the sand is like although our friends walked round there and had a swim. I think if you want a beach, that's not the one to make for but I don't know where the good beaches are as we've always been happy to just explore the winding streets of the town, have a drink and soak up the atmosphere and had every intention of doing the same again had we made it on our last trip.

Speaking of having a drink we found a quirky little cafe called Helvetia or something like that on account of the lady who runs it is from Switzerland! She's married to a local man and has lived there for donkey's years and makes gorgeous baklava! ;)

For a first visit I wouldn't say you need to do an excursion unless there is something special you want to see. Enjoy Mykonos Linda, it's one of our favourite destinations in the Aegean. :)

P. S. Just read the previous post - I forgot to mention Little Venice. Yes that's what it's called although there's not a great deal of similarity to Venice but it is very attractive with cafes overlooking the water. A good spot for a drink!

Edited by kruzseeka

Its nearly a 2 mile walk from the cruise terminal to the interesting bits, over a busy road with no pavements. I have been to Mykonos twice, first time we tendered and second docked. Tendering is much better as you are dropped right in the centre of town. There is a bus from the terminal but IIRC it does not drop you in the town centre.

A beautiful place :)

Thanks everyone. What would we do without Cruise critic?

Just looked at the itinerary and it isn't down as a tender port. But as we know, things can change:rolleyes:

That's good news Linda. You could double check on the cruise timetable site and see if any other ships are due in on your day there and if not, you should be fairly confident that you're docking. ;)

We had a tender at Mykonos in May, and had a walk through town for the bus to the Beach Transfer trip. We got comfy beds with brollies but bought drinks as the free one was fizzy pop. I enjoyed swimming in the freezing water, before sunbathing. We had time to explore the town when we got back and the labyrinth of streets are beautiful. Found a café / bar where Ray had a local beer while I enjoyed a plateful of delicious yoghurt and honey. Have some photos, but don't know if I can load them up on here.

PS. Just put some photos on FB that cover the beach trip and the lovely little streets in town.

Edited by gillhalfpint

According to whatsinport, the ships dock 30 minute walk away from the town. Do you know if there is usually a shuttle bus ?

yes it is a 30 minute walk....uphill too

when we were there (last year) the port did lay on a shuttle bus into the town...although we didnt go into the town...we got a taxi to a beach somewhere? for some snorkelling....sorry cant remember where?.... it was a busy beach...lots of beachfront resorts....down some v narrow roads populated by people/lunatics on scooters

Agree with everyone else, just wander around the lovely town.

Majesty and Spirit are in Mykonos on the same day, and the same happens 2 weeks later when we are on the Spirit, the Majesty is showing up as a tender port for you Linda.

This will probably suit you better as you get tendered straight into town, and will be better for us as well because we should be able to get the shuttle into town with Mum.

BTW, Monemvasia is lovely too, it reminds me Erice wandering through the old streets.

Monemvasia was a tender port for us too. A bit rough on the day for us but we got over before they stopped the tenders going out. We were sat in a café in the old town when we saw Majesty sailing away past us so we waved to her and wondered what was happening. We later got told it was now too rough for the tenders so they went round the other side to see if it was better there, but it wasn't so Majesty came back and we all found lovely sunny bars to wait in till it was calm enough for the tenders to take us back. A great day out, we loved all aspects of the town and were on the last tender back having a great sing song with Katie CD and a lot of the entertainment gang as we bounced back to the ship. You will love it.

You were right Joe :D Just going to print out my tickets.

Arr Dep Day: 1 Corfu Town - CORFU

23:00 Day: 2 At Sea

Day: 3 Mykonos Town* - MYKONOS 07:00 18:00 Day: 4 Kusadasi - TURKEY 08:00 17:00 Day: 5 Piraeus (for Athens) - GREECE 08:00 17:00 Day: 6 Monemvasia* - PELOPPONESE 07:00 17:00 Day: 7 Katakolon - GREECE 09:00 18:00 Day: 8 Corfu Town - CORFU 07:00

*Tender to shore

I was on the Celebration in August. Thomson provided a free shuttle bus to the town. It isn't far, but we were warned not to walk as there isn't a footpath. We walked around the sea front to Little Venice where we sat in a cafe next to the sea. We walked to the windmills and then back to the bus stop. It was a lovely day. Mykanos is a beautiful place.

I was on the Celebration in August. Thomson provided a free shuttle bus to the town. It isn't far, but we were warned not to walk as there isn't a footpath. We walked around the sea front to Little Venice where we sat in a cafe next to the sea. We walked to the windmills and then back to the bus stop. It was a lovely day. Mykanos is a beautiful place.

Same for us a month ago, shuttle bus. If you walk to the 'back' of the town to where the local buses leave ( I can't remember the name of the square), you can get a local bus to the beach where they filmed Shirley Valentine. We did this, very easy and had a beer down there. Needless to say, mrs S2B had to sit in a chair and pose! The locals were very helpful and all direct you to the bus and the beach. There was plenty if time to do this, little Venice and the windmills in the time we were in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums