USA annual school holidays

asda

Hi. Please could you tell me when the main school holidays are for most of the children in the USA.

In the uk our children break up for 6 weeks from middle of July until the end of August.

Our cruise is in February from miami on epic. has anyone got an idea of the age ranges that sail in feb . Are daughter is coming with us and she's 23. Just want to know if there's her age on board.

Thanks.

Most kids here don't get a lot of time off in feb except around Presidents' Day so some family's might take the long weekend and cruise 😄 I went to disney once in feb and it was people with non school age kids and a lot from the uk. Hope this helps!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi. Please could you tell me when the main school holidays are for most of the children in the USA.

In the uk our children break up for 6 weeks from middle of July until the end of August.

Our cruise is in February from miami on epic. has anyone got an idea of the age ranges that sail in feb . Are daughter is coming with us and she's 23. Just want to know if there's her age on board.

Thanks.

Many 23 yo are still in college in the USA so no February breaks

If they work it is doubtful they are cruising in massive numbers in February

If you cruise the 3 rd week in February you will have plenty of teens and younger on the cruise and pay twice as much too

Just make it family time a d enjoy making memories together. That is what I did with my 22 yo in June

And that is what I am doing in January with my 19 and 20 yo college kids. January will definitely have college kids as they are all home and can't travel in summer any longer do to job commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kids in most US lower grade (K-12) schools have summer breaks - timing depends on where in the country and individual schools. Some kids are off in early May and return in August, other get out in mid-June and return in the first week of September (schools in the south seem to get out earlier and return earlier as a *general* rule, schools up north use later dates). There is also a holiday break! a week or maybe two around the Christmas and New Year holidays. Most of these schools also have a spring break, *generally* revolving around Easter, although many schools have been changing to anywhere in March or April. Some schools also have a February break, *generally* revolving around Presidents Day weekend - this is more typical in Northern US schools, especially the Northeast - this break started I believe in the '70's as a way to save money when heating oil prices were skyrocketing, and remains in place even now.

Now colleges and universities have completely different schedules. My daughters went to school in completely opposite sides of the country, one to public university and one private - but their general schedules followed similar timing. Summer breaks usually begin sometime in May and they return to school in late August (this can vary, but is close). Holiday breaks are longer, one daughter had two weeks off at Christmas, one had almost four weeks off, beginning in mid-Dec. Colleges don't usually take more than a long weekend break in February for Presidents Day. Spring Break can be anywhere from late February until mid-April, depending on the school, with a lot of them taking a week off sometime in March.

Age 23 is kind of an odd age, older than most US college students, or at least last year age. My daughters have always sailed with us at that and nearby age, often one or the other (both together only once every two years or so). They usually enjoy spending more time with us, as we don't see them often. There aren't usually that many young adults sailing looking for friends, but there are a few. If your daughter would like to meet friends, I recommend she start with the nightly dance parties, and get friendly with the cruise director who can involve her in activities with likewise folks. Otherwise, just enjoy your time together. :)

Robin

Other than the week before Easter, schedules are all over the place.

A "rough" guess is based on supply and demand. Look at the prices on ncl.com and those weeks with higher prices are getting more demand, often because of more kids.

As to how many 23 year olds onboard - really no way to tell at all. No different than how many 29 or 34 year olds.

Thanks.

There are colleges that start their spring breaks as early as February. At 23, I'm sure she will have people around her age on board!

Ditto on everything that has been said here. I'm east of Syracuse, NY & my sister is in Rochester, NY & the kids have different weeks off for Presidents Day. One the week before & one the week after. Also it's going to be hit & miss because I'm actually taking my son (14) out of school this November for 10 1/2 days so we can do the 2 week on the Dawn. I take my vacations when I can & he goes with me. Although some would fry me for doing this, he has very good grades & he takes work with him and writes a journal for extra credit. The sailing in November I know of 1, 16 year old boy who will be sailing too, my son likes to hang out with his age range, and I'm sure we will see maybe a few more, but if you go around the middle of February I'm sure there will be lots others for your daughter to meet. Best of luck to her & enjoy your cruise.