Which ship? Navigator, Magic or Dream

megamoo

Looking at the following cruises for next year and wondering what you would choose. Have been on three Carnival cruises but no other cruise line. Just wondering what your opinion/experiences of these ships were and what the ports are like in Galveston and New Orleans for getting to etc.

Royal Caribbean Navigator out of Galveston, Texas

(Ports: Cozumel, Mexico / Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica)

Carnival Magic out of Galveston, Texas

(Ports: Cozumel, Mexico / Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands / Montego Bay, Jamaica)

Carnival Dream out of New Orleans, LA

(Ports: Montego Bay, Jamaica / Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands / Cozumel, Mexico)

The only port that I have already been to is Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands and that was five years ago.

Will be cruising with husband, and two teenagers (12 and 17).

Thank you

Well the Magic and Dream are sister ships, with the Magic being the newer one. So out of the Carnival options, I'd lean towards that one. It's got some features that the Dream doesn't (yet).

The Navigator has inside cabins with wall to wall TV screens that give you a "virtual balcony." Personally, I'm super interested in trying one of those out. Sounds a bit gimmicky, but I'm intrigued none the less.

But if you're interested in getting a balcony, the Dream and Magic (and Breeze) are the only ships that offer Cove Balconies.

Edit: I think I'm a sucker for "exclusive" things, such as virtual balconies and cove balconies. Whichever you pick, I'd lean towards trying something out that you can't get elsewhere.

Edited by ryansmith18

You will find more amenities on either Magic or Dream especially for your family. RCl doesn't handle embarkation or debarkation as efficient as Carnival and the food on Navigator hasn't been first class. They do not open their buffet dining before time, whereas if you like to go there early and have a quite cup of coffee or continental breakfast or lunch etc.,then you will prefer Carnival. We are D+ on Royal, but do not care for Navigator, and are Platinum on Carnival and have sailed on Magic many times. Which ever you choose enjoy your cruise.:)

We sailed the Magic on the Med in '11.

For me the factors would be:

- price

- itinerary: the ports are virtually similar, but are the cruise lengths the same

- departure port: if I was close to one of the two, that would be a bonus. From where I am, I could fly to Houston on fewer points than NO. On the other hand, I've never been to NO, so I would likely try to make NO part of the vacation, not just an overnight the day before

If everything was still equal after that point and I was choosing for myself, I'd likely pick RCI, just to be different. If my kids were picking, they might prefer one of the Carnival options for the clubs (for my son) and potentially younger demographic.

I would choose Magic and get a spa cabin. I have been on Magic twice and in May we were on Navigator of the Seas and had one of those virtual balconies. On Magic I had a spa cabin with a walkaway view (11201) and I also had a spa balcony. I actually liked 11201 better, it was closer to the spa elevator and the room was huge. Navigator was nice, our room was comfortable and we really enjoyed the virtual balcony - but it was a bit of a let down after being on Magic. I have to say that Magic is probably my favorite ship and I love the Cloud 9 Spa.

I hope you have a marvelous cruise. You really can't go wrong with any of your choices. If it were me, I would pick Magic!