Just booked an Independence B2B! Need Advice!!

skatermegs

Hi, my name is Megan and it has been one year since I have cruised...

And I Must Cruise Again!

But this one is special, I booked a B2B (YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!) on Independence of the Seas June 14-27 for my mom's retirement gift. The best part? I am keeping it a secret until then! (Which means a lot of time here so I don't give it away).

A little background-I took mom on her first cruise about five years ago, after many years of hearing how she would be bored :rolleyes: and she wouldn't like the food :rolleyes: and on and on and on... But it was my vacation, so it was my choice! After much, much research and many long hours slaving away over cruise critic (oh the torture! the inhumanity!) I decided on Freedom of the Seas for that trip. I decided there was plenty to do to cover the "bored" and the ports looked fantastic. Then, last year the cruise bug bit again, and we decided Alaska sounded awesome (it helps to be able to drive to Seattle to fly- that was a perk I loved!) Sadly, the best deal and best ports were Holland America (Oosterdam) and so, deciding to give it a shot, we bravely sailed away. The ports were amazing, the weather insanely nice, the ship? Awful. Bad staff, bad food, dirty rooms, generally bad condition. In other words, a nightmare. For example: I was cut in line at the buffet...by a group of staff members! And then they proceeded to take up several tables and sit and make fun of the cruisers around them! And for a cruise to Alaska-bland Atlantic salmon and overcooked everything? Really? I digress.

The experience was not to be repeated. So, back safely into the arms of our Royal Caribbean family. On a long car ride mom happened to mention that she had always wanted to be surprised for her birthday or something similar, and nobody ever had. Cue overactive brain, and a few weeks later I decide that a retirement cruise is just the thing! Only, I want the surprises to keep coming, so why not make it a B2B? So give me the good, the bad, and the ugly about Independence and the pier there. We will need a hotel the night before, ideally one with airport and cruise ship shuttles. I know absolutely nothing about Fort Lauderdale. Also, what excursions/restaurants aboard would be excellent surprises for a teacher who just turned 71 and her crazy 32 year old daughter? We are both pretty active, and I love taking pictures (when you're behind the camera nobody takes pictures of you!)

So- tell me everything I need to know (and even what I don't!)

Megan

Hi Megan,

My family is on the 6/14 cruise, not doing a back to back but someday plan to do so. This will be our first time on the Independence of the Seas, can't wait. I've been on quite a few RCCL ships and probably won't try another cruise line, at least not anytime soon.

We stayed at several hotels in Ft Lauderdale, that's where we cruise out of most of the time, but can't think of any of the names. I always book through hotel.com so I will sign in and look, the one we stayed at in March 2012 was a great hotel on the beach.

Hope you have a great time planning your moms surprise, that sounds exciting. If you think about it join our roll call, it's a little slow right now though, hopefully it picks up soon.

If you have any basic Royal Caribbean questions ask away, but since you've cruised RCCL you probably don't.

Have a great evening.

Janet

First, congratulations on booking a B2B on Indy.

You will be very happy with your selection of the ship and the itinerary - East/West Caribbean.

It is best to arrive a day ahead of time if cruising between November and March.

Most folks stay on 17th St. ( 10 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes to the pier) in places like the Hilton, Renaissance or Holiday Inn Express. Most all the major hotels offer shuttles (some with fees) or taxi for 2 with tip is about $20 to either port or airport.

There are many eating places on this street, as well as shopping plazas and places like Walgreen's to purchase water, soda or sundries. Wine is available in the shopping center behind the Embassy suites.

There is an inexpensive jitney that will take you to the beach and a water taxi under the bridge if you want to do some sightseeing, shopping or dining.

If you get in early leave your bags at your hotel and explore - rooms are available usually around 3 P.M.

At 4 P.M. there is a nice happy hour (till 6 or 7) at the Bimini Yacht Club.

Yachts can be viewed here as well as the Hilton located 1/4 mile east on the waterway under the bridge.

Everything is in easy walking distance - no need for a taxi - unless raining.

The Independence is laid out just like the Freedom so you will be right at home.

Once on the ship you can do as much or little as you like.

A nice excursion in the Cayman's is to swim with the stingrays.

Labadee is a wonderful beach day and Cozumel for snorkeling and water sports/beach.

St Maarten has a nice water taxi that takes you into town for shopping and/or take a taxi out to Maho Beach (taxis are on Back St.) to watch the planes fly directly over your head, so low that you'll think you can touch them. There are many videos on uTube you can view to get the idea.

Jamaica you can go Dunn's Falls - shop at the secure gated area right off the cruise ship or book a beach day .

Two weeks will give you plenty of time to have a wonderful vacation with things to do and even time just to relax.

Enjoy your vacation - you are going to make Mom very, very happy.