Visas

JGS

Is it necessary to get a Visa if you do not intend going ashore in a particular country? This question relates to a Spirit cruise next year where the ship spends a day Mumbai, India and we see no sense in going to the trouble or cost of getting Visa's for this.

Depends on the country. Several years ago, we were in the same situation on a cruise that visited Vietnam...had to purchase a visa even though we didn't go ashore...only $10, but none the less, really did not want to but had to...suggest that you contact Seabourn at 800-929-9391 and find out the policy for that country.

Leonid

India, along with other countries who shall remain nameless, has recently gotten much stricter on visa requirements. You used to be able to get a landing card on arrival--no more. To land by plane or ship you must have an individual India entry visa. And they may not clear the entire ship if anyone doesn't have one. Also anyone entering India or the Seychelles must now have a yellow fever vaccination certificate if the ship has been in an officially "affected area" (such as Kenya) whether or not the passenger embarked there! In November, for instance, Seabourn Spirit is coming into Cochin from Kenya and Seabourn sent out notices saying they will not allow anyone to embark if they don't have an India visa and a yellow fever certificate (those are good for ten years). They can't risk the authorities deciding not to clear the ship.

(sigh)

bgood

bgood,

That is indeed most unfortunate, as the yellow fever vaccination has some percentage risk (I cannot recall the exact number) of causing serious illness due to potential side effects.

Denyse

Seabourn advises guests to use Zeirer Visa Service. We are on Spirit in October and the advisory to us noted that applications for India visas will be included in preliminary documents. I would check with Zeirer (sorry but I can't remember the website) in any case; visas are its business so Zeirer will probably be most up to date.

And, yes, bgood is correct; it was also noted on our advisory that yellow fever immunizations are required for entry into India since Mombasa is a prior port. We are also looking into malaria prevention pills.

We are booked on the Spirit for Oct. 23 to Dec. 8 and got no such notification from either Seabourn or our TA!! Now I am worried about the visa thing. When did you get this notification?? Jean

Seabourn advises guests to use Zeirer Visa Service. We are on Spirit in October and the advisory to us noted that applications for India visas will be included in preliminary documents. I would check with Zeirer (sorry but I can't remember the website) in any case; visas are its business so Zeirer will probably be most up to date.

And, yes, bgood is correct; it was also noted on our advisory that yellow fever immunizations are required for entry into India since Mombasa is a prior port. We are also looking into malaria prevention pills.

Zierer's website is www.zvs.com

I have used them many times and they are just great.

mcboo:) :) :)

Jean--I picked up the voyage information booklet (the one including descriptions of shore excursions, etc.) from our TA today. We are on Spirit for the first leg of your October 23 journey. There are visa forms for each country that requires visa, although I understand Egyptian visas may be bought at the airport of entry. The information is quite thorough, including medical requirements for India, etc., since the ship stops in Mombasa.

See you on board! Winnie

Archived