First Time Cruiser - Help with cabin choice please

Captain Noodles

Hi,

I've considered a cruise a few times in the past but never quite got to the booking stage. However, our kids are getting older and it seems like the perfect time for my wife and I to give it a try.

I am looking to book the Ultimate Carribean Cruise on Celebrity Equinox leaving from Fort Lauderdale in March. I am debating whether to book a C2 Concierge Class or an A2 Aqua Class suite. The prices for both are very similar. I have no idea what the best cabin location would be and would really appreciate any advice ? Ideally, we would like a quiet cabin, balcony with an unobstructed view so we can sit, relax and watch the world go by. I read that the hump cabins have larger balconies, great views etc but would there be a lot of noise due to their proximity to the elevevators etc ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

I've considered a cruise a few times in the past but never quite got to the booking stage. However, our kids are getting older and it seems like the perfect time for my wife and I to give it a try.

I am looking to book the Ultimate Carribean Cruise on Celebrity Equinox leaving from Fort Lauderdale in March. I am debating whether to book a C2 Concierge Class or an A2 Aqua Class suite. The prices for both are very similar. I have no idea what the best cabin location would be and would really appreciate any advice ? Ideally, we would like a quiet cabin, balcony with an unobstructed view so we can sit, relax and watch the world go by. I read that the hump cabins have larger balconies, great views etc but would there be a lot of noise due to their proximity to the elevevators etc ?

Thank you.

I hate "noise" in my cabin when I want peace. We've been near the elevator twice and never heard a peep so we would not worry about elevators. While the door is generally open, the cabins are in a separate hallway than the elevators. The ultimate Caribbean cruises are longer, tend to have less kids so should be quieter. The only thing I might say is there is music in the main corridor that might come through, but only at night when your out and about, or I guess we were as I never heard it.

I am not sure where A2s and C2s are on Equinox but all thing being equal if there was an A2 not under public space, if take that for the ability to dine in Blu as an option.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I think the general rule is to have cabins all around - above, below and beside to reduce unwanted noise. I would pick an AQ2 after of the elevators. You have cabins all around. Once you have an idea of the cabin numbers available, check out the sticky that has information on each of the cabins. As far as cabins goes, Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse are essentially the same ship. HAVE FUN.

Many ong time cruisers have come to the conclusion that there's no true benefit to concierge class. Although it sounds good on paper, in reality the benefits are minute. Aqua class carries the ability to dine in Blu, a small separate dining room, which many people prefer. Personally, we enjoy being in the large main dining room and sitting at a table for eight or 10 so we can get to know a few folks, but to each his own.

All of the cabins are identically sized from insides up until suites so that should not be a factor. Midship is our preferred location for the ability to move around the ship easily.

Welcome to CC and Celebrity.

Any balcony cabin decks 7,8,9,10, 11 mid ship in the hump area are all the same 194 sq ft in size, and a great spot. Your difference is with the class level, not the actual cabin itself. You have Blu as your private dinning venue in the Aqua level cabin. We are in a 1A, hump angle, on 8 on this route in Nov as the extra for Aqua is outta sight!

Welcome to CC and Celebrity.

Any balcony cabin decks 7,8,9,10, 11 mid ship in the hump area are all the same 194 sq ft in size, and a great spot. Your difference is with the class level, not the actual cabin itself. You have Blu as your private dinning venue in the Aqua level cabin. We are in a 1A, hump angle, on 8 on this route in Nov as the extra for Aqua is outta sight![/QUOTe

1A is great, (1B, is too, but smaller balcony)and rather than spend the additional money for Aqua, buy a specialty dining package and then you can eat at different restaurants each night. We did this, and I purchased a Persian Garden pass, and we still came out ahead over AQ.

We have sailed with Concierge and Aqua Classes,

Advantage: extra points toward next level of Captain's Club! (both C2 and A2 earn 5x number of nights.)

The showers in both are upgraded. The Aqua Class showers have body jets!!!!!:D:D

Aqua Class you get to eat in Blu. If the price is not that much different from balcony and Concierge - go for it!!!!!! the food in Blu is excellent. We ate all of our dinners there as well as half of our breakfasts. Definitely worth the additional $ if the price is not that much higher than Concierge.

Aqua class you get bottles of water in your room everyday at no cost.

Some of the other amenities are not worth the extra dollars or are subjective.

As others have stated, pick a cabin with cabins above and below. A2 are great if they are aft of the elevators (approx. the back 1/3 of the ship) as they have cabins above and below. The mid ship (A1) are under the pools; and forward A2 cabins are under the gym and spa.

I would choose the A2 for Blu!

Hi,

Thank you.

We did this cruise last January. You will love it. We were in cabin 1504. No noise and right next to the relaxation room and close to the stairs that go straight to the spa. Stay in Aqua class it is worth it. You are too late to get a hump cabin unless you are very lucky. Don't miss the persian garden.

Have fun

We have sailed with Concierge and Aqua Classes,

Advantage: extra points toward next level of Captain's Club! (both C2 and A2 earn 5x number of nights.)

The showers in both are upgraded. The Aqua Class showers have body jets!!!!!:D:D

Aqua Class you get to eat in Blu. If the price is not that much different from balcony and Concierge - go for it!!!!!! the food in Blu is excellent. We ate all of our dinners there as well as half of our breakfasts. Definitely worth the additional $ if the price is not that much higher than Concierge.

Aqua class you get bottles of water in your room everyday at no cost.

Some of the other amenities are not worth the extra dollars or are subjective.

As others have stated, pick a cabin with cabins above and below. A2 are great if they are aft of the elevators (approx. the back 1/3 of the ship) as they have cabins above and below. The mid ship (A1) are under the pools; and forward A2 cabins are under the gym and spa.

I would choose the A2 for Blu!

Hi CAPTAIN NOODLES,

I see you are relatively new to Cruise Critic as well as Celebrity... So a BIG Welcome aboard !!

I agree with the reasoning above by ATTILAMOM1217

We have cruised Concierge Class in the past on Celebrity... And are going to give Aqua Class a try on our next cruise

When we're on The Solstice in 2012 (sister ship to the Equinox) we took a Concierge C2 midship on the angle off "the hump" (oversized Balcony) on Deck 10. Great location... Cabins above & below, and Suites next door. We loved it, certainly sold us on more cruises with Celebrity.

On the S-Class Ships, of which Equinox is one, we would choose a C2 again (over C1s and most Aqua Class Cabins) solely because of their prime location !!

But as others have said, these special spots on the angles on & off "the hump" (midship) and "the bump" (forward) have cabins in other categories as well (1As) ... If you are looking to save a bit of money, and not too jazzed about the other amenities that Aqua Class offers (dining in the Blu DR - Expanded Spa services etc)

As you are new here, I suggest you take a look at the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet that appears as a Sticky at the top of this Forum

X - gone to find the link... Will be back

It is chocked full of great info... Go to the last page (# x) of the document and scroll backwards til you find the link to the Spreadsheet that LIBRARYLADY maintains.

The Spreadsheet shows info by Cabin number... Generally speaking, as the 5 S-Class Ships have similar footprints the cabin numbers will match location on the ships... However you should work with the deckplans too... Because in a few instances they do not.

On the Deck Plans you will find key notations showing Squares & Triangles. Squares mean the room has a convertible sofa bed and can sleep 3, Triangles mean the room has a Pulman Berth hidden in the ceiling... Both symbols mean the room can sleep 4

Rooms with markings in the key for 3 or 4 Pax, means that the main bed(s) are closest to the bath. Rooms alternate with beds near the bath and then near the balcony. So rooms either side of a "keyed room" will be bed by balcony.

This should get you started on finding a great cabin for your first Celebrity Cruise

If you have any more Questions... Just ask

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Oops, did not seem to get back in time (you can edit a post here on CC for 20 mins)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=911018

There are currently 113 pages... LIBRARYLADY's latest update is on Page 109 (Reply # 2179)... So everything after that will not be incorporated just yet into the Spreadsheet

Here too is a link I did back in 2012 on S-Class Storage... It talks about he Solstice, but cruisers on the other Ships as they rolled out aded to it as well = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1560620

Other great tips:

* As you are a first time cruiser... Make sure you check out the NEW Cruiser Board here on CC

* Other great CC Boards = Ports Of Call - and Your Sailings Roll Call (great way to meet sail mates & save money too). Look for the link at the top of this page labelled NEW Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

* For more info on your Destinations... Check out Wikipedia (good for a general overview) - CCs sister website TripAdvisor (good for Travel Guides - Reviews - and their Forums where you can post questions for Destination Experts & Locals) - Official Tourism Websites (countries, regions, cities... Everyone seems to have one now a days) - an online map (I like Google - Satellite View, Street View, Times & Distances no matter how you travel... Car, public transit, bike or by foot)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

If you are looking at the March 16 sailing, come over to our roll call and say hi. We are organizing private tours in all the ports.

Aqua Class- our favorite- is very expensive on the March sailings. You might consider doing as we have- book a veranda cabin midship and then buy a specialty dining package. As others have said, Concierge is not worth paying a premium for, great if little cost difference but not something g to spend a lot on.

Welcome to CC :-)

Our first cruise was in AQ and we were forever spoiled. Since this is your first cruise, spoil yourself. Do AQ. I would always take AQ if the price is close. Actually, Concierge really does not offer you much. Be sure to enjoy the heated tile beds (Persian Gardens) in the spa and the Relaxation Room up at the front of the ship (you will have to hunt for it). You will like Blu, especially the service and the breakfast . Be careful in choosing your A2 cabin. It is probably quieter toward the back than toward the front. Those cabins are under other cabins. The front is under the spa. The hump near the elevators would be my first choice. Enjoy!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies !

I am definitely going to book Aqua Class. It's only about £40pp more than Concierge. My wife will love the Persian Garden etc and I'm sure Blu will be a great option to have.

Just a matter of picking the cabin. A cruise agent I spoke to recommended 1621 or 1624 both of these are next to one of the suites ( I think) and are close to the elevators. Would these be a good choice ? As I mentioned we would prefer a quiet room, with a balcony which gets the sun and has a great view (if that's possible !).

Redjetz - Yes, it's March 2016. Can you point me in the direction of the roll call please ?

Many thanks for all your help and advice.