Bathing Suit Cover-Ups

TidePrideGA

Does anyone have a favorite site for swimwear that has great coverups? I'm not much of one to wear them, and think I threw the only one I owned out recently because I never wore it. Darn!

I don't think I want a pareo - but I want something "special"... ideas, anyone?

You said you don't think you want a pareo - but have you considered wearing one other than just tied around the waist? I'm vertically challenged and a size 18 and wear a pareo as a coverup-type dress over swimwear. Either I wrap it just under my armpits and tie in the front over the bust making a big fluffy knot, or hold it behind me at armpit level, cross the two ends in front of me and tie at the back of my neck, halter-style. Just an option.

You said you don't think you want a pareo - but have you considered wearing one other than just tied around the waist? I'm vertically challenged and a size 18 and wear a pareo as a coverup-type dress over swimwear. Either I wrap it just under my armpits and tie in the front over the bust making a big fluffy knot, or hold it behind me at armpit level, cross the two ends in front of me and tie at the back of my neck, halter-style. Just an option.

Thanks, Joy! I don't want to sound ignorant, but are they really big enough to do this? I'm also vertically-challenged (5'3") and a size 12/14 depending on the garment, with fairly large, uh, assets. It just never occurred to me that a pareo might be big enough to wear as you describe - I particularly like the sound of the halter-type option. Hmmmm ... maybe I'll buy one and try it.

The coverup wrap that is....

I had a long, print, sleeveless rayon/cotton/poly? dress that I loved but felt like I had worn it so much that it was time to retire it. Then one afternoon, I was in the pool and needed to run out quickly for something. I threw the dress on and VOILA! a new bathing suit cover up. It doesn't wrinkle, it dries quickly and looks smashing. I recently had some gals over for cocktails by the pool and their first comment was "we didn't know you were dressing up!" When I told them it was my new cover up, they all started to brainstorm what they might have in the closet to use as well.

Thanks, Joy! I don't want to sound ignorant, but are they really big enough to do this? I'm also vertically-challenged (5'3") and a size 12/14 depending on the garment, with fairly large, uh, assets. It just never occurred to me that a pareo might be big enough to wear as you describe - I particularly like the sound of the halter-type option. Hmmmm ... maybe I'll buy one and try it.

Tide - I bought one at the marketplace in Cozumel and it has fringe along the short edges (which become the front of the "dress", so it sort of adds some decor there). Yes, I wondered if it would be big enough - and no doubt they do come in various sizes, but they are so lightweight they pack into a tiny space ans weigh next-to-nothing. I am a well proportioned (read big on top and bottom, but with a nice waist!) 18 and I think it fits with room to spare. Give it a try, it looks cute.

Fresh Produce dresses make great cover-ups. If you can't find one in a store near you, I'm sure you will find one where you are travelling to, they always seem to have them at resort stores.

I recently found a couple of Fresh Product dresses at Sam's Club. I agree they will make wonderful coverups and would be great for walking around the ship.

I have a sarong from the Phillipines that i LOVE. it can be used as a "dress" - tied in a knot under your armpits, or a skirt, which i usually wear it as. It's also great for those rooms where the temp is a little cooler than you'd like. i take it to the movies with me as well! I have a black wrap as well, but the sarong for the phillipines is great for the beach. have you looked for something like that on eBay?

I have a sarong from the Phillipines that i LOVE. it can be used as a "dress" - tied in a knot under your armpits, or a skirt, which i usually wear it as. It's also great for those rooms where the temp is a little cooler than you'd like. i take it to the movies with me as well! I have a black wrap as well, but the sarong for the phillipines is great for the beach. have you looked for something like that on eBay?

I also wear a sarong (pareo) quite a bit, I take along my Fresh Produce dresses to wear when I go to eat, or if I will walk through the ship. My pareo serves as a blanket to cover me, a blanket to lay on (I don't like laying on terry cloth!), you can use it as a picnic blanket, a tablecloth, I wrap it around my beach bag and make a pillow. Then, when everything is dirty, I use it to carry laundry to the laundry room at the hotel. I have even folded it and used it for a beach bag, when I didn't have a lot of heavy stuff to carry. I have a large sized one I got from a lady who imports them from Bali. It is beautiful, hand painted, one of a kind. It has survived years of use, washes and dries beautifully and packs to absolutely nothing.

You guys have been GREAT! Thanks!

Here's what I think I'll do.

Thanks to cupidbaby99 for the link to swimsuitsforall. Some great, really inexpensive stuff there - I'll probably order a couple, but they're so inexpensive I'm wondering if they'll hold up....

Thanks to AIMS312 for the tunic top idea. Definitely going to get at least one of those.

And a special thanks to Joy for the ideas on pareos. Think I'll wait and buy one on the trip - probably in Ocho. Or isn't there shopping at HMC? Maybe there?

Thanks again, y'all!!

I *love* my pareo pants. They are the same fabric as pareo or sarong but like pants that wrap around you. To be honest, they go on like a diaper and then you wrap around the waist to tie and then tie down at the ankles or leave open and flowy. They are so comfy. Though they are harder to find. I'm a big girl and most of them fit me, you can eye them to see if they will be too small to go all the way around. Here's a link to what they look like: http://www.angelfire.com/dc/brisa/epantalon.htm

i bought two cap sleeve cotton dresses from newport news, it's like a v-neck tshirt, but to just above the knee. they are breathable and easy to take on and off, and pack small.

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?catid=4750&gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1686&superstyleID=196982&mainstyleid=257768&prodnum=5499594

i bought two cap sleeve cotton dresses from newport news, it's like a v-neck tshirt, but to just above the knee. they are breathable and easy to take on and off, and pack small.

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?catid=4750&gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1686&superstyleID=196982&mainstyleid=257768&prodnum=5499594

These look GREAT! Thanks!

I *love* my pareo pants. They are the same fabric as pareo or sarong but like pants that wrap around you. To be honest, they go on like a diaper and then you wrap around the waist to tie and then tie down at the ankles or leave open and flowy. They are so comfy. Though they are harder to find. I'm a big girl and most of them fit me, you can eye them to see if they will be too small to go all the way around. Here's a link to what they look like: http://www.angelfire.com/dc/brisa/epantalon.htm

That's great, Thanks. I've been looking for these pants and I happen to be going to Puerto Vallarta at the beginning of Nov. I will be stopping in to purchase a pair or two. Thanks again for your info!;)

Pareo pants are awesome! I must have 6/7 pair! I buy a multi colored bathing suit and pair it with single color pareo pants in different matching shades. If you can't find one thats fits well, buy one at a local store (keep the reciept) and take it to your dry cleaner/seamstress etc and have her copy the design, then return the item where you bought it. Then you can chose the fabric color/style/shade to match your suit and she can put it together for you.

check out victoria secrets online catalog,they have clearance at 70% off,they have cabana pants that match the suits. i got a tankini,bottom & pants for 50.00.

Thanks for the tip! I looked at the website & I like the "second skin swim". This is what it looks like:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=SC-179777&page=1&cgname=OSSWMCOVZZZ&rfnbr=1339

Do you think the swimskirt a cover-up or is it for swimming? Also, do you anything about the sizing at Victoria Secrets? I've heard to buy one size bigger bathing suits than clothes size.

I'm imagining that online swimsuit fits are a nightmare... :confused:

Thanks for the tip! I looked at the website & I like the "second skin swim". This is what it looks like:

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application/prodDisplay/?namespace=productDisplay&origin=onlineProductDisplay.jsp&event=display&prnbr=SC-179777&page=1&cgname=OSSWMCOVZZZ&rfnbr=1339

Do you think the swimskirt a cover-up or is it for swimming? Also, do you anything about the sizing at Victoria Secrets? I've heard to buy one size bigger bathing suits than clothes size.

I'm imagining that online swimsuit fits are a nightmare... :confused:

LOL... if you look RIGHT above her post, I suggested Vicotrias Secret as well... generally I find their sizing to be very consistant with many brands, not one of those "our large only fits most places smalls" kind of thing. You can swim in the skirt as well as use it for a cover-up...

LOL... if you look RIGHT above her post, I suggested Vicotrias Secret as well... generally I find their sizing to be very consistant with many brands, not one of those "our large only fits most places smalls" kind of thing. You can swim in the skirt as well as use it for a cover-up...

Sorry, beth. Didn't mean to "dis" you. (When I clicked on your link I only thought about dresses. On the other post, I got to thinking about swimsuits as well.)

Thanks for the info. Do you think it's worth ordering on the internet, considering how hard it is to find a b.suit that looks & fits good? I just hate to pay for shipping only to have to pay for returns as well...

Archived