Freeport!

La Princesa

We head out to Lucaya Beach and the Lucaya Marketplace. The beach is nice, and while the marketplace is yet another tourist trap, it's picturesque and pleasant.

Freeport is not as developed as Nassau, but IMHO, that's part of the reason why we prefer it. Less people and a bit more relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did Lucaya marketplace once. IMO it was a waste of money. It was $10 pp round trip by cab so for a family of 11 you are talking $110 :eek: All the cruises we have been on it is an early arrival (7am)with early departure (2pm) so now we just take our time getting off and just hit the shops right at the port and there are more and more each time we go. Then hit Senior Frogs for a little fun (my kids are older, 21+). Its tough when you leave so early.

Great place to Dolphin Swim at a discount. Shuttle over to Lucaya Mkt Place. Make your way to the UNESCO pool and you can book your dolphin encounter there for 1/2 what the ship charges and the let you bring your own camera. They do take a pictures but the were reasonable.

We had a great time snorkeling with Pat & Diane a couple of years ago. We did the snorkeling & lunch on the beach tour. DS said it was the best meal of the whole trip. Found them on the Bahamas forums here. Trip Advisor reviews are excellent.

Hello! any ideas as to what to do in Freeport? I was there once and did not see much to do there??? Family of 11. Most teenagers and young adults! thanks!

You go to the beach, which rival places like Half Moon Cay and Coco Cay. It's just not where you pul in. It's a 15 minute ride on the south east shore. And the further east you go, the prettier.

We did the UNEXO dolphin experience which was a great time but nothing else about the port impressed me at all. Our ship didnt depart till 7 pm (in July) from Freeport and the shopping area was dead around 5 pm. Even Senor Frogs had closed their kitchen which was dissapointing as the wife and i wanted to hang around drink a few beers and get some Nacho's.

We ended up leaving the area after 10 minutes and headed back to the ship. Definitely not a place I would want to go back to.

We didn't get to Pat and Diane's because of the waves being so rough from the eve before's rain, but trip advisor recommended it. Even though I did not get to go, the experience I did have with them was good! Diane booked me and gave me instructions of where to go from the ship. The morning of, we woke to rain. I didn't know if I still needed to show up or not. The cruise customer service desk let me call Pat and Diane's, and Diane told me the sad news and said I would not be charged.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Freeport...the most important thing is GO DO SOMETHING. Visit the ports of call section and there are lots of options listed.

We love the diving and the dolphins with UNEXCO but there are great beaches and snorkeling.

But don't just hang around near the ship.

There is nothing there...Its a great place much better than Nassau...you just have to do a little bit of planning. Have fun.:D

Hubby wants to do the Beach Getaway with Open Bar excursion through Carnival (which I guess wouldn't be so good for you guys with the kids, but they have a "Family Beach Getaway" as well). I think the beach is Taino Beach? It gets good reviews. Anyway, we will most likely do that or the day pass at Grand Lucayan.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Hubby wants to do the Beach Getaway with Open Bar excursion through Carnival (which I guess wouldn't be so good for you guys with the kids, but they have a "Family Beach Getaway" as well). I think the beach is Taino Beach? It gets good reviews. Anyway, we will most likely do that or the day pass at Grand Lucayan.

I booked this excursion too. The reviews are so good. However, after making up mind to get Atlantis Beach Day pass at Nassau, I'm not so sure about spending so much on another beach day at Freeport -- we have 4 adults and 1 kid... Need to find out more what we can do at Freeport :cool:

Has anyone ever just gotten off the ship, grabbed a cab and done a sightseeing tour of the Island? We haven't been to Freeport in 20 years and want to see the changes.. Carnival has a tour like that for $50 pp looking for something a bit cheaper... Thanks