First time cruise, MSC Magnifica, a review

sealynx

Just last week I made my first ever cruise. After I made several mini-cruises on ferries from the Netherlands to the UK, I was now looking forward to the 'real thing'. As a try-out offer, MSC offered a 2 night cruise from Amsterdam to Hamburg for only € 200,- (indoor cabin), an offer I could not refuse.

Check in was smooth. As it was only a two night cruise, we only had carry-ons. It took just a few minutes to get the boarding cards, get our picture taken, our credit card matched with the boarding card, and to make one of those pictures in front of a huge photo of the vessel (I can't believe anyone would actually buy that :confused:).

First impression of the vessel was very good. The interior was perfect. And to my great surprise, we had an free upgrade to a balcony cabin. I never expected a balcony was worth the extra money, but I must admit I found it wonderful to have one. Just to read a book, or breath off fresh air early in the morning.

For lunch we went to the buffet restaurant. Actually, there are two buffet restaurants, but when you are there you wouldn't know the on from the other. They might as well give them one name. The food was just ok, nothing special. Since many people were at that time still visiting Amsterdam, we had no trouble finding a empty table.

Next we went for a strole around the ship. The Magnifica has four decks filled with restaurants, bars, pools, and other entertainment-venues. Deck five, six and seven share the atrium, which even has a three story waterfall. In the bow one can find the theatre. I never expected it to be that big, and the star-like lighting made it beautiful.

To rest a little we opted for reading a book on our balcony, with which we drank a cup of the we got from the buffet. Dinner was in one of the two main restaurants. I was kind of afraid to be stuck with straingers, but happy to find out we got a two-person table. The food was again just ok, I had expected more of it. But then again, I did read about the poor food quality in many MSC reviews, so I guess I was warned. We did buy a wonderful bottle of wine with our meal, which we later took to the Tiger bar to finish.

The tiger bar is one of the two largest bars. From quite early live-music is performed, and soon many people were dancing. Later on in the evening the entertainment team pulled more people to the dance floor. It seemed everyone was having a good time, and so were we. We took a quick look in the theatre, but the show was just horrible. After just three songs we went back to the bar for some more dancing.

After a good night sleep, and some poor quality breakfast (they didn't even have normal break, just buns :(), we arrived in Hamburg. This is where most passengers disembarked. Just a few were transfer passengers from Amsterdam like were were. That afternoon new passengers would embark for a short cruise to Amsterdam (and then back to Hamburg again).

After a fun day in Hamburg we were back on the ship. Before dinner we went for a swim and rested a little in the whirlpool, as was a group of German soccer players who had their anual team weekend. Later we found out that there were several of these groups on board, which I believe is not the average cruise-passenger, so that might have influenced my first cruise experience.

Then we just had to wait for dinner, and soon boredom kicked in. I expected a lot of entertainment on the ship, but apart from the pool, a few football tables, and shuffle board, there wasn't really a lot of things to do. I guess on a longer cruise I might have went to the fitness centre for a few hours, but still I couldn't help being a little disappointed.

The second evening was quite like the first one. We had a great time in the bar with live music and dancing, the theatre was better this time, but still far from broadway-style, and the food was again not what I would expect in a restaurant. The service (speed) in the bar could have been much better, but the cocktail and beer tasted like they should.

So, all in all, how was my first cruise experience? A slight disappointment in a. food quality, and b. things to do while on board. Possitive is the intior design, it gave me several decorating ideas for my own home, and the evening entertainment in the bars. Will I ever cruise again? Possibly, but not likely with MSC. How does a cruise compare to a mini-cruise on a ferry? I believe a company like DFDS Seaways offers product just as good as a 'real' cruise. Ofcourse a ferry's initary is somewhat boring, but at least the food is much better.