70yo Mother and 37yo Son: Which Cruise Line..Help!

tbase1000

To all those taking their parents on cruises, I just want to say how wonderful that is! I desperately wanted to take my mom on a cruise since the 1990's, but my dad refused to go on a cruise, so my mom refused to go without him. (Dad was in the US Navy for 33 years and spent most of his career on ships so he was "done" with them.) So anyway, I was reduced to planning to take mom on a cruise after dad passed on. Trouble is, my mom passed on first - last spring. I will always regret that I didn't do something, anything to force the issue and take mom on at least 1 cruise somehow, even though dad refused to go. Now it is too late and all that is left is my regret that I didn't fulfill this wish of mom's.

To anyone reading this...if your parent is able to travel and wants to go...even if their spouse refuses...find a way to do it.

If you're open to it, why not try Alaska? May have to move it to August/September. On our Princess Cruisetour, we had a very spry 94 year-old that was running her son ragged! We started in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific. Great location, because you can take the elevator down to the parking garage and simply walk to the ship! We took the 7-day ship part up to Seward, disembarked, and took the land part to McKinley Lodge, Denali and Fairbanks. There's a wonderful train ride in Skagway. You step off the ship, and there is the train! We like Alaska because of the scenic cruising. If your Mother is a "stay on the ship" person, She'll still see a lot of beautiful scenery. The round trip Seattle and San Francisco view Tracy Arm Fjord (heard it rivals Norwegian Fjords). And the Vancouver to Seward sees Glacier Bay and the wonderful Glaciers. Watching a Glacier Calf is a Bucket list item.

We've also been out of Seattle a few times on Royal Caribbean, and San Francisco once on Celebrity with another booked. With the San Francisco round trip, we got to see Astoria and Ketchikan.

Another option would be the East Coast. Do Canada/New England in October for the wonderful fall color.

We usually stick w/ Royal Caribbean, but will jump lines if we like the itinerary.

Hi everyone!

Thanks again, so much, for all of your comments.

I just booked yesterday...Nov 1 Eastern Caribbean on the Oasis. 22 days to go! I also booked her first class airfare to FLL and I plan to meet here at the airport from my home in CA. I really want this to be a very special treat for her.

I decided to go for a W cabin (deluxe guarantee) but I'm tempted to upgrade it after seeing that Grand Suites just dropped to $300.00 more than what I paid. I'm trying my best to hold out for my cabin assignment, though..just in case! :)

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd book a Grand Suite if you can swing it. Booking a Deluxe Guarantee will probably get you into a JS. A nice room in itself, but no free concierge club drinks. We usually book a JS, and we like the priority boarding. You also get a bathtub, usually a walk-in closet, and usually a coffee and tea kettle. We really like the priority boarding. On our Legend cruise earlier this year, we got in the priority boarding line with the suites, and the Diamond Plus didn't board with us. They were shown to another line.