Magic Kingdom with NCL

Xpto

Hi,

After all your advices, suggestions, warnings, I made a decision about my plan for the visit. I'll buy the tickets online, book the fastpass (30 days before the day) and guarantee 3 rides! I was thinking on having lunch with some characters but I'll pass that because I prefer hanging around the park when waiting for schedule fast pass time. I think I'll have the opportunity to take some pictures with characters when hanging around.

With NCL I'll only book the transfer because, like I said I don't want to be worried with the traffic and others delays.

I have lots of time to study the park and to choose what I really "Must Do", and maybe choose create a priority list.

This is my thoughts today, tomorrow we will see...

Hi,

After all your advices, suggestions, warnings, I made a decision about my plan for the visit. I'll buy the tickets online, book the fastpass (30 days before the day) and guarantee 3 rides! I was thinking on having lunch with some characters but I'll pass that because I prefer hanging around the park when waiting for schedule fast pass time. I think I'll have the opportunity to take some pictures with characters when hanging around.

With NCL I'll only book the transfer because, like I said I don't want to be worried with the traffic and others delays.

I have lots of time to study the park and to choose what I really "Must Do", and maybe choose create a priority list.

Sounds like a plan! The fastpass+ is really great for people who get to the park later in the day. We had a wonderful arrival day at Epcot this past July, because we were able to go on some rides even though we arrived at 11am!

As for meeting characters and taking pictures with them, they are set up at Magic Kingdom in meet & greet areas, and they have fastpass+ available for those as well. But, I'm not sure if there are other areas where you could meet Disney characters. We always just meet them at character meals.

For a quick service lunch, you could go to Be Our Guest, the Beauty & the Beast castle, which is beautiful. We ate dinner there and Disney did such a wonderful job making the castle look exactly like in the movie, on the inside! There are also a few other quick service locations you will find online. Try allears.net for the list of menus and other tips.

If you need any attraction advice or anything, feel free to ask! :)

It sounds as if you have a plan. I would stop for a meal when you have a break and See something you like. Cinderella's Castle is great but it will consume time. I would stick with a counter service restaurant known as (CS) on the maps. There is another discussion forum devoted to all things Disney. It is named the disboards (dot) com. You can get more advice there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi,

If your daughter is interested in meeting Mickey, as soon as you enter the park the Town Square Theater is on the right and he is in there, usually with Minnie also, they have fast passes for it but the line usually moves pretty quickly. Good luck on your trip, we live 30 minutes from the parks so we are there often, if I can answer any questions let me know....in a few weeks though, as we are leaving for CA and then a Panama Canal cruise Friday. ;)

Sounds like a great plan. The only thing you may have an issue with is meeting the characters. Almost all of the Character meet and greets are FP+ attractions now and if offered regular standby lines can really eat up your park time. Either way you will have a very fun day.:)

In 2013, we did DL Paris as a day trip and we just went into it knowing we would not be able do everything. We had a few "must see" attractions and spent the rest of our day enjoying the parks.

Hi,

Sounds like a good plan.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Hi,

As you know I've decided to buy the tickets for MK online and do the transfer with NCL to have the possibility to use the fastpass.

But, now I've a doubt, and if I buy the online tickets, use the fastpass reservation and when we arrive to the park, its full of capacity. Can we enter, no matter that?

I think you should be fine. The only times I recall DCL at capacity is Christmas Day, New Years, Easter and July 4th and it's usually just Magic Kingdom. This is what I found regarding "at capacity" park closures.

Phase 1 Closure

Casual visitors are turned away at the automobile toll plazas. This means that people without tickets, those with one-day, single-park tickets, and those intending to use cast member passes will not be allowed to park.

Other guests may enter:

Those with multi-day or multi-park tickets

Those staying at a Disney Resort

Annual Passholders

Those re-entering the park that day.

Those "hopping" from another park.

Those with in-park reservations or appointments.

Those arriving via Disney transportation

Phase 2 Closure

The following guests are allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots:

Annual Passholders

Those re-entering the park that day.

Those "hopping" from another park.

Those arriving via Disney transportation

Phase 3 Closure

The following guests are allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots:

Annual Passholders

Phase 4 Closure

The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests.

I'm not sure if Disney considers FP+ an in park reservation/appointment. If they do, you should have no issue getting into the parks. You could make an in park dining reservation to play it safe.

As far as I know, a Fastpass+ reservation is NOT what they count. It is things that will yield them money, so sit down dining reservations. If memory serves, last year during spring break there were most definitely closures. You would fall into the Phase 1 closure.

This is exactly why we aren't doing it on our Breakaway cruise in December. I was told there is a 99% chance we would get closed out. You won't have that problem with any of the other parks, just the Magic Kingdom.

Hi,

I'm so confused:confused::confused::confused:. I don't know what to do. I really want to go to Magic Kingdom because I already tell my daughter we'll go there.

I've planned to buy the online tickets to be able to use the fastpass to guarantee 3 rides but don't want to arrive to the park and sent to Animal kingdom for instance after spend a lot of money.

I think I'll need to book the lunch with characters to guarantee the entrance in the park, but I don't know if it will be too much to do/see (3 fastpass + lunch) in only 4-5 hours in the park.

This stop in Port Canaveral it's making me crazy...:p:p:p

Hi,

I'm so confused:confused::confused::confused:. I don't know what to do. I really want to go to Magic Kingdom because I already tell my daughter we'll go there.

I've planned to buy the online tickets to be able to use the fastpass to guarantee 3 rides but don't want to arrive to the park and sent to Animal kingdom for instance after spend a lot of money.

I think I'll need to book the lunch with characters to guarantee the entrance in the park, but I don't know if it will be too much to do/see (3 fastpass + lunch) in only 4-5 hours in the park.

This stop in Port Canaveral it's making me crazy...:p:p:p

Keep in mind that if you book a character lunch reservation, there is a credit card guarantee and the policy is that if you cancel within 24 hours of the reservation, or if you're a no show, they charge you $10 per person. This is stated on their website. While some people have reported canceling the same day of their reservation and not being charged, there is no guarantee that you will not be charged the late cancellation fee.

You could always call Disney and explain the situation to them, and ask if the fastpass+ selections would guarantee you entrance into the park. Is this on Easter? That would be the only day in spring I would worry about the park being filled to capacity by the time you get there, but of course there is no guarantee either way. I know that every time we have gone in July, during peak summer season, we have never been turned away at the gate of any of the theme parks, and we always take a break at the hotel in the afternoon to swim or nap and then return to the park late afternoon. Also, when we leave for our afternoon break around 1:00, there are always people entering the park as we exit the park, and have never witnessed anyone being turned away due to capacity.

I love Disney and I don't want to be a debbie downer but we did this excursion last year and it wasn't worth it. By the time you get inside the park you have maybe about 5-6 hours to enjoy it before you have to make your way back to the port again. IMO, during the time of year you're traveling, that's not enough time at all especially if you've never been there before. I don't think you'll be able to utilize Fastpass+ in advance because you won't get your ticket until you board the bus. If you wish to use it, buy tickets somewhere else, and just book the transportation to the park through NCL.

If you're set on going go to http://www.wdwinfo.com or http://www.allears.net They are head & shoulders above the Disney World site with all of the information that is available. http://www.easywdw.com is great too because they have a crowd calendar and touring plans for the park which may be helpful to you.

THe pre purchased Disney tickets are NOT considered Reservations. You cant as I recall book fast pass times till you arrive IN the park. If you book a lunch with a cast or princess, those start before you arrive. and if you get in will basically be the only activity you do that whole day.

Honestly what the NCL tour will probably be is getting there mid afternoon, then wandering around trying to get a ride before running back to the bus... This is NOT a small place it is miles upon miles !!!

Take the Disney cruise park package from Disney...

Your post is very clear that Disney is a huge priority to you and your family.

My suggestion , since this is a once in a life time trip is to cancel the NCL ship totally and book a Disney Cruise and park combo.... it will in the long run be way better. and less costly a 3 or 4 day cruise and 3 days in the park. THe Disney cruise and park combo is as good as it gets !!!

Or fly in early and spend 3 days in Orlando and do the NCL thing

The reality is you should have 3 days at the park as a first timer....it is larger than you have yet dreamed...

Getting to the park will totally overwhelm a first time visitor...

There are 4 parks... it takes almost I/2 a day just to figure out where stuff is.

By the time you get to the park all the fast pass times for all the good rides will be gone till the evening, It will be an adventure of stress and frustration seeing all the wonderful things that because of time you will never be able to do....

Its going to be packed in March...one of the high times of the year. Long waits and lines. with only 4-5 hours in the park your going to get more frustration than satisfaction. 90 % of the visitors arrive before 9 am and flood in to all the good places, booking all the fast passes till evening.... And you maybe around 1:30-2:00 !!!

Traffic to the port... can be ugly it takes me 1.5 hours from the park to the port each way... and on a bus add another 30 min for loading and unloading.

Edited by Hawaiidan
more info

You are planning to go Easter week, which is one of the busiest times at the busiest park to go to. Last time at went at that time, the ferry was backed up by at least 1 boat and the monorail was backed up by 2 trains. I'm afraid the aggravation of the crowds would make the day a complete disappointment if you are expecting the happiest place on earth.

If money comes easy and you are able to look at the day as just a way to check it off your bucket list, then a 5hr trip would be ok. Enough time to not stress about actually doing a lot. Set your expectations low and give extra time to any plan. With 5 hrs, you can still see the show in front of the castle, the afternoon parade, ride the railroad that takes you around the magic kingdom and ride the people mover in tomorrow land(faster loaders). Any fast pass you are able to make is a bonus. This would not be the ideal disney experience, but if you won't be able to do it again, then it's better than nothing.

Personally, I would just plan an entire trip to disney at a different time. For this one, Just make sure you explain to your daughter that the excursion is just a quick peek at the castle and prepare her for the crowd. For me, I would rather just book the tickets through ncl. If for some reason the ship doesn't dock(unlikely), or the weather forecast looks horrible, or someone is sick, you might be able to cancel(w/couple day notice). I would hate to have tickets I wouldn't be able to use. But again, if money comes easy, buy the tickets ahead of time and plan what you can and enjoy.

Hi,

I'll be in Breakaway on 29th of March with my family. We were two times in Miami but never gone to Orlando. The first stop of our cruise is Port Canaveral. My daughter, age 8, wants to go to Magic Kingdom park. I know we'll be on a Spring Break weekend, the park will be 8/10 full, won't have much time in the park, the price is very high, but... it's a "unique" opportunity to go to Disney because I don't know when I'll back in Florida. I'm planning to go with NCL to have the peace of mind of don't think in traffic/delays.

So, can anyone tell me how it's was its experience in the park leaving Port Canaveral in a shore excursion? Advices to have a better experience?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide us.

If I were in your position, with an 8 year old, I would go for it. There are a few things you can do that will make the experience less difficult and more memorable for her.

We now have a 21 year old daughter and she has visited Disney every year, since she was 6. We have visited with longer stays on property, combined often with cruises that departed from Port Canaveral, and day long visits from cruises we boarded in NYC.

It can be done! The real issue from the Breakaway is the timing, the afternoon arrival. You can do it, but more careful planning is required.

To guarantee great memories for an 8 year old visiting MK, I would book a character dinner at Grand Floridian (princesses). For example, You can take the boat or the monorail to the hotel (memorable in itself). OR visit Pooh and Tigger at the dinner near the entrance of the park at the Crystal Palace. Either can then be combined with afternoon parade viewing and one or two venues.

Be a well-armed parent and know where things are and what would make her happy. There is no way for you to see it all in the time available. But great memories can be made when a well-educated parent is driving the journey.

I would pick my battles carefully based on what she would be excited to be part of. If a show at the castle and parade viewing would be the most powerful for her, I would stay centrally located on the center of MK only trying one additional section of the park. You should have no problem surfacing schedules on line.

You must have reservations for character dinners six months in advance. So, now is the time to make those decisions.

There are forum driven websites that can help you make very specific decisions. Check out the dis.

Have fun! They get to be 21 really, really fast! Now, in addition to college tuition, we pay for suites at Disney hotels!

Gina

I have done the Ncl excursion for magic kingdom

We are Disney experts but dd and I just did this as a quickie one day and it was fine even though we could not ride much we enjoyed the day. Fwiw we had been there 5 times previously

I would only go thru the cruiseline for a one day because of convenience

Being spring break

My concern is being locked out if the park due to it being at capacity but that is probably more if a concern on the weekend anyway

But my hope would be that the excursion with the ship somehow would guarantee not being locked out of mk but one never knows

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

If I were in your position, with an 8 year old, I would go for it. There are a few things you can do that will make the experience less difficult and more memorable for her.

We now have a 21 year old daughter and she has visited Disney every year, since she was 6. We have visited with longer stays on property, combined often with cruises that departed from Port Canaveral, and day long visits from cruises we boarded in NYC.

It can be done! The real issue from the Breakaway is the timing, the afternoon arrival. You can do it, but more careful planning is required.

To guarantee great memories for an 8 year old visiting MK, I would book a character dinner at Grand Floridian (princesses). For example, You can take the boat or the monorail to the hotel (memorable in itself). OR visit Pooh and Tigger at the dinner near the entrance of the park at the Crystal Palace. Either can then be combined with afternoon parade viewing and one or two venues.

Be a well-armed parent and know where things are and what would make her happy. There is no way for you to see it all in the time available. But great memories can be made when a well-educated parent is driving the journey.

I would pick my battles carefully based on what she would be excited to be part of. If a show at the castle and parade viewing would be the most powerful for her, I would stay centrally located on the center of MK only trying one additional section of the park. You should have no problem surfacing schedules on line.

You must have reservations for character dinners six months in advance. So, now is the time to make those decisions.

There are forum driven websites that can help you make very specific decisions. Check out the dis.

Have fun! They get to be 21 really, really fast! Now, in addition to college tuition, we pay for suites at Disney hotels!

Gina

Just an FYI to the op ( not the quoted poster) the bus back to the port will leave around 7:30

Sit down dinners even with ressies can be long wait times

If the op really wants a sit down I suggest the first available time regardless if it being lunch or dinner but that still may not get them to the bus on time. Pooh meal is notorious for long waits to be seated regardless of ressie time but they do serve continuous throughout the day

They will not get to the park until 2 pm so if a sit down is a priority do it then and basically just walk around and enjoy the sites

If they can get its a small world and Ariel's ride in after the meal they will be lucky

They should also be able to do the people mover which is fun and the carousel of progress in tomorrow land

That would be a successful day IMHO and that assumes they are actually seated within 15 minutes if their ressie and the meal is over with by 4 pm thus giving them 3 hours for 4 quick loading continuous high capacity rides.

The wdw excursion for Ncl pax is basically 2 pm into the park with a 7 pm exit from park as a conservative estimate. Maybe an extra 15 minutes on each end but that is all and that is pushing it.

Edited by luvtheships

My family love Magic Kingdom and Walt Disney World (WDW). As you have already mentioned, the price of the excursion is very high and you will have very little time in the park. If you are okay with that, then I think the ship sponsored excursion is the way to go for peace of mind.

Port Canaveral is about 60 miles away from WDW. So be prepared to sit in the bus for about 1 hour each way. Maybe more depending on the traffic.

We have a 7 year old daughter. We have never done the excursion from NCL, but we go to Disney almost every year, including last July (summer and very crowded). We will be back again this December (Christmas Week).

Check out the map/layout of the park and prioritize the rides and attractions that you want to do. Magic Kingdom has a lot of rides to choose from. Some are not as busy as the others.

FastPass+ is very helpful. You can get 3 FastPass+ as soon as you get in the park. You can obtain more FastPass+ reservations once you've used your first set or once their reservation times have expired (whichever comes first).

Get a free APP to check the wait times. Undercover Tourist Disney Wait Times

Bring lots of patience and have fun! Hope this helps.

Sorry but that is incorrect. You only get 3 Fastpasses a day with the new system.

Disney also has their own app for setting up Fastpasses and to tell you about wait times but I can tell you, in the middle of Spring Break, EVERY ride will have a wait, and a long one at that! I love Disney (heck I'm here as I type) but I would not waste my time going to the Magic Kingdom during Spring Break.

Just an FYI to the op ( not the quoted poster) the bus back to the port will leave around 7:30

Sit down dinners even with ressies can be long wait times

If the op really wants a sit down I suggest the first available time regardless if it being lunch or dinner but that still may not get them to the bus on time. Pooh meal is notorious for long waits to be seated regardless of ressie time but they do serve continuous throughout the day

They will not get to the park until 2 pm so if a sit down is a priority do it then and basically just walk around and enjoy the sites

If they can get its a small world and Ariel's ride in after the meal they will be lucky

They should also be able to do the people mover which is fun and the carousel of progress in tomorrow land

That would be a successful day IMHO and that assumes they are actually seated within 15 minutes if their ressie and the meal is over with by 4 pm thus giving them 3 hours for 4 quick loading continuous high capacity rides.

The wdw excursion for Ncl pax is basically 2 pm into the park with a 7 pm exit from park as a conservative estimate. Maybe an extra 15 minutes on each end but that is all and that is pushing it.

Also the steam train around the park.

Sorry but that is incorrect. You only get 3 Fastpasses a day with the new system.

This is no longer true, and the PP is correct. You can make 3 FP+ when you enter the park. When you have used those three, you can make another one. When you have used that one, you can make another etc. This is all subject to more FP+ being available.

However, if MK is predicted to be an 8/10 for that day, then it's doubtful there will be anything left after the first three has been used.

Edited by holula

Also the steam train around the park.

We also did that on our day trip. Unfortunately it took longer to get to fantasyland than it would have if we walked as the park was so crowded and the train wait line was like 20 minutes. Which is almost unheard of but we did it anyway

We regretted not just walking down Main Street.

Also there is never a line for that stitch ride..... But we all know why that is!!! Lol

This is no longer true, and the PP is correct. You can make 3 FP+ when you enter the park. When you have used those three, you can make another one. When you have used that one, you can make another etc. This is all subject to more FP+ being available.

However, if MK is predicted to be an 8/10 for that day, then it's doubtful there will be anything left after the first three has been used.

I have never used the Fastpass+ kiosks in the park. I have an annual pass and therefore pick my rides and times on the Disney website prior to the day. I know when then started in January of this year I was told by the Disney employees that it was only 3 per day (which ticked me off). I can't find anything on the Disney website that says you can make more than that. Who told you this and when did it change?

I have never used the Fastpass+ kiosks in the park. I have an annual pass and therefore pick my rides and times on the Disney website prior to the day. I know when then started in January of this year I was told by the Disney employees that it was only 3 per day (which ticked me off). I can't find anything on the Disney website that says you can make more than that. Who told you this and when did it change?

I have an AP too. It changed a few months ago, possibly June time? I'm not 100% sure on the dates. I REALLY hate FP+, but this at least does give a little more flexibility.

I have an AP too. It changed a few months ago, possibly June time? I'm not 100% sure on the dates. I REALLY hate FP+, but this at least does give a little more flexibility.

Oh, I hate the new FP+ as well. The old system was much more flexible and more info was provided before standing in a line to try and obtain a FP. But thanks for the info. I'll have to check into it.