QM2 Dry Dock

Gazroberts80

It appears from comments on here that the November 2015 dry dock has been moved. Do we have any updated information if it has been moved forwards or backwards? The Hull clearly needs a repaint! With the world cruises in January 2016 I just can't see a dry dock being left till 2016. QE had a dry dock recently after 4 years, surely the flagship won't be forced to wait any longer. Can the hull be repainted without a dry dock?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At the moment you know as much as we do. Her 2015 schedule was (and still is on the US site) open for most of November, and the refit plans were to include a complete renovation of Kings Court and rumors (not confirmed) of new solo staterooms.

The hull cannot be repainted - except for above waterline touch ups - unless she is dry docked.

Perhaps somebody on board might hear some news from the engineering crew. Those on board recently reported some deep floor sink holes near the Purser's Deck and scaffolding in the Grand Lobby Atrium.

Dry dock means the ship isn't making money so all cruise lines coordinate the work into as few days as possible. If memory serves her 2011 dry dock was supposed to last 15 days but was shortened to 11.

Cunard's online FAQs say:

When is the ship's next refurbishment?

Queen Elizabeth undertook her first dry dock period in May 2014. Prior to this she was launched in October 2010. Her next dry dock period is yet to be confirmed.

Queen Victoria is scheduled for refurbishment in November 2015. The previous refurbishment for Queen Victoria was in December 2010.

Queen Mary 2 is scheduled for refurbishment in November 2015. Queen Mary 2 was previously refurbished in December 2011.

Please note that these dates are subject to change.

Regarding the 2011 scheduled QM2 refit being shortened, I remember reading that the refurbishment might take a few more weeks after the ship left dry dock.

A quote from Peter Shanks*: "Given the scale of what we achieved, notably refurbishing 1,310 staterooms in just 12 days, we had always planned for some of the activity to be completed over the coming weeks. I have had quite a few questions and comments about the new stateroom designs. One point raised was over some of the sofas and the fact that they do not quite match the new designs. Well please don't worry - they are all planned to be changed over coming weeks."

Mr. Shanks is no longer with Cunard, but the old sofas are still there and 'sinkholes' started to reappear less than 2 years after they were "repaired."

Just my opinion, but as long as the maintenance of the working parts of the ship that we don't see are being properly maintained - and I can only hope that it is the case, I can live with old ugly sofas in the cabins as much as I don't appreciate the false promises.

*Source: http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2011/12/cunards-qm2-is-back-from-dry-d-1.html

Edited by Salacia

Excuse me please - too late for me to add this to my previous post: I did not mean to minimize concerns regarding the reappearance of sink holes and plumbing problems. Clearly, that is a matter of health and safety that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. -S.

Having just booked on the 2016 QM2 World Cruise I am following this with great interest.

We did make the choice of QM2 in the belief that the ship would have been through its major refit in late 2015. Having been on QM2 earlier this year, we did find the issues that have been highlighted here and in particular found the strong sewage smells (presumably from leaking plumbing) around the ship to be very unpleasant. The bathrooms are also starting to show their age, though not sure how they go about refurbishing them as they are integrated pods.

If the refit is to be delayed until after the 2016 World Cruise, we will seriously consider cancelling and swapping to one of the other ships, as much as we do love QM2. Looking at the 2015 schedule, with the 175th Anniversary celebrations in June/July, it is difficult to see how the refit could be brought forward in 2015. From a cost point of view, I am sure that Cunard/Carnival will be looking to push out the refit as long as possible.

Hopefully we will get clarification on this soon, but I fear that we might not official confirmation for a long while. It would be great if someone on a Behind The Scenes tour on QM2 could try to get information.

Thanks

Will

Edited by WillH

Queen Victoria was originally booked to have a refit at the same time as the Mary but now she is having to refit before her next World Cruise, So the refit for the Mary will still be November 2015.

Thanks Zider

The latest Cunarder Magazine confirms that there will be additional cruises on QM2 in November 2015 "Queen Mary 2 will cross the Atlantic before exploring the Caribbean and returning to Southampton". Another member also had insight from their Travel Agent that additional cruises of Southampton to New York, New York to Caribbean to New York and New York to Southampton were showing on their system, covering the 28 days gap in the schedule in November 2015.

So unfortunately it does look as though the refit definitely will not be in November 2015. When it will be, is still unknown.

Thanks

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Can't they just change those god awful looking sofas in the Beotannia staterooms during a cruise!?! The fact that shanks said they would be replaced and that they still are not really makes you wonder just how tight with money Cunard has become.. It's not a good look for a premium

Priced cruise line.

In my opinion the ship should be dry docked before every world voyage as that is when Cunard really show cases the ship to the world (literally). The last thing people want to see is the mighty 'exclusive' QM2 with a slimy green and rusty hull and blotchy paint work. (I sailed on her after the 2011 refit and our princess grill suite balcony was still covered in rust..)

Hopefully the dry docking had been moved forward to before the 2015 world voyage and hopefully those sofas a finally thrown over board and the ship is properly refitted/repainted once and for all..

Carnival shares went up 4.3% yesterday after good quarterly results, so there is money in the kitty to do a proper job rather than what could be a quick slap of paint job.

Every one knows what needs to be done. Why don't they just do it right as the flagship deserves.

If I fall down one of the sinkholes will ther be a soft landing on the deck below?

David.

Isn't there a legal requirement for length of time between dry docks? I mean for mechanical, hull checking etc, not re-fit? How long is it since QM2 was in dry dock?

I do agree that by the time a re-fit is finally organised there will be so much that needs doing not everything will be able to be done which will be a huge shame.

Carnival shares went up 4.3% yesterday after good quarterly results, so there is money in the kitty to do a proper job rather than what could be a quick slap of paint job.

Every one knows what needs to be done. Why don't they just do it right as the flagship deserves.

If I fall down one of the sinkholes will ther be a soft landing on the deck below?

David.

Darn it!!!!! I was about to buy 100 shares earlier in the week as the price went down. I wasn't aware of the quarterly results being published, hence up 100+ yesterday! Must get them for the benefits for our QM2 crossing in November..............

Isn't there a legal requirement for length of time between dry docks? I mean for mechanical, hull checking etc, not re-fit? How long is it since QM2 was in dry dock?

LR, like all IACS members, requires annual and periodic surveys for vessels to remain in class. Dry docking surveys are required every five years with an intermediate survey, usually conducted afloat, between the second and third annual surveys. I believe QM2 is also operating under the continuous survey scheme for hull and machinery.

LR, like all IACS members, requires annual and periodic surveys for vessels to remain in class. Dry docking surveys are required every five years with an intermediate survey, usually conducted afloat, between the second and third annual surveys. I believe QM2 is also operating under the continuous survey scheme for hull and machinery.

Thanks navarch. If understand correctly, QM2 must have a dry dock survey in 2016, since her last dry dock was in December 2011. Currently, no dry dock is scheduled for QM2 since the 2015 dry dock has apparently been cancelled.

So when will QM2 be subject to the annual survey? Does any authority inspect passenger areas of the ship? Thanks. -S

Darn it!!!!! I was about to buy 100 shares earlier in the week as the price went down. I wasn't aware of the quarterly results being published, hence up 100+ yesterday! Must get them for the benefits for our QM2 crossing in November..............

Now's your chance, down 167p yesterday.

David.

Thanks navarch. If understand correctly, QM2 must have a dry dock survey in 2016, since her last dry dock was in December 2011. Currently, no dry dock is scheduled for QM2 since the 2015 dry dock has apparently been cancelled.

Yes, a docking should take place no later than 2016. The actual deadline though is based on a several month window around the date of the initial class surveys, so there could be wiggle room into 2017. (But I think a late autumn/early winter docking makes sense based on past itineraries.)

So when will QM2 be subject to the annual survey? Does any authority inspect passenger areas of the ship? Thanks. -S

In general, the annual surveys are scheduled in a six month window around the initial survey's anniversary date. I believe QM2 is on the continuous survey scheme, so that works a little differently. Rest assured QM2 is attended by many different types of surveyors/inspectors covering all aspects of the life saving systems, machinery, navigation equipment, and vessel hygiene in addition to Cunard's own technical staff.

Yes, a docking should take place no later than 2016. The actual deadline though is based on a several month window around the date of the initial class surveys, so there could be wiggle room into 2017. (But I think a late autumn/early winter docking makes sense based on past itineraries.)

In general, the annual surveys are scheduled in a six month window around the initial survey's anniversary date. I believe QM2 is on the continuous survey scheme, so that works a little differently. Rest assured QM2 is attended by many different types of surveyors/inspectors covering all aspects of the life saving systems, machinery, navigation equipment, and vessel hygiene in addition to Cunard's own technical staff.

Thanks, navarach. So it would seem that QM2 will be in dry dock, not in 2015 as scheduled, but rather sometime in 2016. (Any later "wiggle room" would delay the 2017 World Cruise.) Hopefully, Cunard will make known the dry dock schedule when the decision is finally made.

As has been mentioned, many cosmetic issues can be resolved prior to dry docking, but not the sink holes. And apparently, attempts to repair various leaks and plumbing problems have been on-going, but remain unresolved. I would like to rest assured that these issues are being attended to, as you suggested, but the fact remains that they are on-going problems. -S

• 4 weeks later...

Crossed the Pond on Queen Mary this August. A lovely experience, as it always is, BUT.

It astounds me how in so many places it looks as though someone at HQ pulled the plug on keeping her in tip-top condition.

Stained carpets, chipped woodwork, scuffed furniture, odours (particularly unpleasant was the strong diesel/exhaust smell that was most noticeable at our dining table), backed up toilets (as we approached NY it seemed that most of the toilets on D7 were out of order) uneven floors everywhere (we did see them patching one particularly bad pot-hole up one night) a lovely layer of green slime around the waterline in the pools (which came off if scratched, so there's no reason for it to exist, just needs a good scrub from time to time!) nothing seemed to work properly in the spa...

Not good if the refurb has been pushed into 2016!

Edit: drydock pushed into 2016 according to a friend who is currently dancing onboard. Will let you know month when he finds out!

Edited by Wjm989

Crossed the Pond on Queen Mary this August. A lovely experience, as it always is, BUT.

It astounds me how in so many places it looks as though someone at HQ pulled the plug on keeping her in tip-top condition.

Stained carpets, chipped woodwork, scuffed furniture, odours (particularly unpleasant was the strong diesel/exhaust smell that was most noticeable at our dining table), backed up toilets (as we approached NY it seemed that most of the toilets on D7 were out of order) uneven floors everywhere (we did see them patching one particularly bad pot-hole up one night) a lovely layer of green slime around the waterline in the pools (which came off if scratched, so there's no reason for it to exist, just needs a good scrub from time to time!) nothing seemed to work properly in the spa...

Not good if the refurb has been pushed into 2016!

Edit: drydock pushed into 2016 according to a friend who is currently dancing onboard. Will let you know month when he finds out!

Hi Wjm989. It seems to me that most of the issues you pointed out could an should be repaired as part of routine maintenance, not necessarily requiring dry dock - although I am also concerned about the postponement of dry dock.

As the fares decrease to the delight of some passengers, so does the amount Cunard (CCL) devotes to repairs, maintenance, staffing and food budget. Corporate profits will be maintained, of that we can be assured. But at what cost to the reputation of Cunard, its loyal passengers and crew members? -S.

Im wondering if they will fit plasmas to the cabin walls like they did during the recent QE dry docking? this is a very good idea and could possibly be done during a cruise without need for dry docking?

Yes, the plasmas on the wall were a good move. Much nicer to watch TV from the bed than on an angle.

I was hoping for a refit before I joined her at the start of the 2016 World Cruise. I guess it doesn't matter too much since I'm only in Britannia this time and not living it up in a Q1.

Yes, the plasmas on the wall were a good move. Much nicer to watch TV from the bed than on an angle.

I was hoping for a refit before I joined her at the start of the 2016 World Cruise. I guess it doesn't matter too much since I'm only in Britannia this time and not living it up in a Q1.

You would think it's just something they would roll out across the fleet ASAP.. I'm sure guests wouldn't mind if some

Maintanance men took a few minutes to drill some holes and fit a well mounted plasma as I'm sure most people would prefer it!

Same with those awful britannia couches in the staterooms, couldn't they just replace one decks worth each cruise or something!? These changes do not require dry docking.

Unsure as to whether you will get your dry dock before your world voyage in 2016 and I certainly won't get mine before my 2015 voyage that's for sure! But I do keep telling myself that surely they have to do a major clean up and complete going over before every world voyage (obviously everything they can do without dry docking).. The world voyage is when they show her off to the world literally! And many of the ports only see the Queen once a year during this world voyage, for example I was onboard in 2012 for her maiden call to my home town of Melbourne and she made front page news and was the talk of the media! And each year since she has made the news upon her arrival. No body wants to see some slimy dirty rusty thing that's supposedly meant to be 'the best of the best' as the media often tells readers/viewers. So fingers crossed they clean her up nicely before our trips and extra fingers crossed they roll out some of these changes before our trips!

Ps: I too am in Britannia for the first time on my upcoming voyage! Hence why I especially would like some of these changes lol

You would think it's just something they would roll out across the fleet ASAP.. I'm sure guests wouldn't mind if some

Maintanance men took a few minutes to drill some holes and fit a well mounted plasma as I'm sure most people would prefer it!

Same with those awful britannia couches in the staterooms, couldn't they just replace one decks worth each cruise or something!? These changes do not require dry docking.

Unsure as to whether you will get your dry dock before your world voyage in 2016 and I certainly won't get mine before my 2015 voyage that's for sure! But I do keep telling myself that surely they have to do a major clean up and complete going over before every world voyage (obviously everything they can do without dry docking).. The world voyage is when they show her off to the world literally! And many of the ports only see the Queen once a year during this world voyage, for example I was onboard in 2012 for her maiden call to my home town of Melbourne and she made front page news and was the talk of the media! And each year since she has made the news upon her arrival. No body wants to see some slimy dirty rusty thing that's supposedly meant to be 'the best of the best' as the media often tells readers/viewers. So fingers crossed they clean her up nicely before our trips and extra fingers crossed they roll out some of these changes before our trips!

Ps: I too am in Britannia for the first time on my upcoming voyage! Hence why I especially would like some of these changes lol

Compared to the 'luxury' ships that sail Australian waters, even the faults on QM2 make her leagues ahead.

Cunard ships always get prime real estate in Aussie media each Feb/Mar and rightly so. It's the best cruise fleet in the world.

Compared to the 'luxury' ships that sail Australian waters, even the faults on QM2 make her leagues ahead.

Cunard ships always get prime real estate in Aussie media each Feb/Mar and rightly so. It's the best cruise fleet in the world.

You make a good point!

Although sometimes I do question the extent to which the aussie media 'pumps up' the ship.. For one they always seem to mention how it will set you back like 30g for a trip, Completely ignoring that you can get onboard in Aus for a little as $500 for some small aussie sectors. Lol.

We got interviewed by chanel 7 when we got off for the day in melb, they were set up in the cruise ship terminal. It was slightly awkward because they were asking us questions like 'how long did it take us to save for the trip' & 'was it the trip of a lifetime' etc etc.. For starters we only paid about $3500 pp for PG and secondly although it was somewhat 'the trip of a lifetime' for me I guess (being a massive ocean liner buff) it perhaps felt after 8 days onboard so far, just like any other cruise we had been on. I truly don't mean that in a negative way at all, but perhaps it is just that little bit overhyped. It is just a segment of carnival after all and operates as such (re same budgets/cuts) as all the other ships operated by the company. But Cunard is Cunard after all I guess and being a liner buff there's no denying that the brand is historically the Rolls Royce of shipping lines. It just has to operate in the realistic modern business oriented world though which unfortunately doesn't favor the experience guests would have received in the golden era of ocean liner travel.

Kicking myself I never tried the QE2 pre carnival take over, just to see what it was like. I did used to see the ship every year in melb but never got to travel on her.

But again, not in a negative way, I love Cunard, but our previous cruise prior to our first on the QM2 was onboard Rhapsody of the seas in which we were upgraded to the exceptionally large Owners Suite and believe it or not, we were in my opinion treated better and were made to feel more special on that than what we did on QM2! It was so bizzar! Rhapsody of all ships!?! The captain literally came to the suite and had a chat with us everyday! As did the hotel manager! And everyday we received a special invite to something or to dine with someone! so I guess expectations were high for the QM2! Did it live up to them? Possibly not... But do I still love the QM2/Cunard line? of coarse! nothing could truly rival the ultimate overall vibe of traveling on the historical line. Especially for a liner buff.

Edited by melb1988