Currency South America

Jollyholidays

Your cruise will be in US dollars.

For going ashore you will need Brazilian Reals, Argentinina Pesos and Uruguay Pesos. I've never been to Uruguay so don't know how easy it is to get them in the UK. I've had no issues gettingbSrgentinian and Brazilian currency. I did however have a wee bit bother changing some Brazilian notes when I returned. They would not accept 2Reais notes and I had 4 of them but they changed the rest. So recommend you only bring back notes of a higher denomination than hat.

You will be able to get currency from STMs as well.

Thanks AmoMondo, just a bit confused now though, never cruised before and understood currency could not be used on board ship only the card, where can the US dollars be spent? Also can currency be bought on ship for South America?

Edited by Jollyholidays
Spelling mistake

Take US dollars, you do not need any currency onboard unless you want to hand out tips for room service.

Are you staying in Recife before joining the ship, if so you should be able to change dollars to Reals in the hotel.

Change $ to Argentine currency in BA, there is a blue market for currency there, others will give you more info as it is a higher rate than the official one. In Uruguay may have used $ I can´t remember now.

If you book private excursions before you go they usually want paying in dollars either through paypal, credit card or $ cash on the day

On the other ships we´ve been on you can change dollars into local currency on the ship but the exchange rate is worse, but it´s convenient and you probably won´t be spending loads.

We will be cruising for the 1st time with MSC in Brazil next March

Which cruise are you taking?

Sandy in Spain

Take US dollars, you do not need any currency onboard unless you want to hand out tips for room service.

Are you staying in Recife before joining the ship, if so you should be able to change dollars to Reals in the hotel.

Change $ to Argentine currency in BA, there is a blue market for currency there, others will give you more info as it is a higher rate than the official one. In Uruguay may have used $ I can´t remember now.

If you book private excursions before you go they usually want paying in dollars either through paypal, credit card or $ cash on the day

On the other ships we´ve been on you can change dollars into local currency on the ship but the exchange rate is worse, but it´s convenient and you probably won´t be spending loads.

Sandy in Spain

Hi Sandy,

Going in November, but taking cruise from Barcelona on MSC Poesia. Thanks for all the info, really useful, think will take majority in USD and try and get an amount of reals to start us off as majority of cruise in Brazil. Getting excited now as only about 9 weeks.

Sharon

Edited by Jollyholidays

When we lived in UK we couldn´t get Reals.

Have a good trip, I would be interested to hear what the cruise and ports of call were like

Sandy in Spain

PS I forgot to mention take small denomination dollar biils, lots of 1$ for tips

Edited by t60

You might want to consider getting a world wide currency card that you preload.

I personally would not take any USD as you are converting to convert into local currency and you're going to get a double hit on the rates for converting twice. Exception would be if you'd booked local tours and they wanted payment is USD.

I used MSc's excursions a couple of time whilst in Brazil. They were really cheap compared to their prices elsewhere. Think it was $22 or 25 for a 5 hour tour to Olinda and around Revife. It was really good and I loathe organised tours. There was a marathon on that day and traffic was hideous. Took ages to get anywhere and we were reLly late back. Ship wIted for us of course. There was no way I could have risked covering so much duringnthe time we were in port other than on their excursion.

If you are going to Salvador too, don't bother with a tour, it is mega easy to FIY and I'll tell you how if you are calling there.

When we lived in UK we couldn´t get Reals.

Have a good trip, I would be interested to hear what the cruise and ports of call were like

Sandy in Spain

PS I forgot to mention take small denomination dollar biils, lots of 1$ for tips

thanks Sandy will let you know

sharon

Sandy in Spain

You can order them from American Express. I'm sure other currency providers may also order for you, just not a currency they hold in stock usually.

I agree about taking a double hit on exchange rates, but at least you can keep extra dollars to use on a future vacation whereas I think you would find it difficult if not impossible to re-exchange Reis into your own local currency....we did in UK.

Sandy in Spain

Thanks AmoMondo

We are startiing from Barcelona and calling at Recife, Maceio, Salvador, Buzioz, Rio, Santos, Punta del Este Uruguay, Buenos Aires ( 2 days) Montevideo. Any info on Ports/trips would be really useful. You have been a great help already with info on buses from Santos to GRU

Sharon

Hi Sharon, Just checking, are you looking at the South America forum as well there is lots of good info on there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

This is a copy of a section today for BA and currency < if you change US dollars for Arg pesos at a "cueva" or unofficial exchange house because the black market price for a dollar is now about 15.4 or almost twice the official exchange rate you would otherwise have received for each of your dollars. See http://www.ambito.com for exchange rates.>

The forum has info on several of the places you´re visiting, you just need to do a search. Also Tango shows etc in BA.

We are using Rafa as a guide in Rio he comes well recommended

Have fun researching

Sandy in Spain

Thanks AmoMondo

We are startiing from Barcelona and calling at Recife, Maceio, Salvador, Buzioz, Rio, Santos, Punta del Este Uruguay, Buenos Aires ( 2 days) Montevideo. Any info on Ports/trips would be really useful. You have been a great help already with info on buses from Santos to GRU

Sharon

I've been to Recife, Salvador, Rio and BA.

For Salvador, just come out the terminal, turn right and walk up the street about a 100 yards or so until you come to a junction and crossing. Cross the road and you will see an indoor market (Mercato Modelo) walk either through it or around it and at the back of the building just across the street you'll see the public elevator up to the old town. It just costs pennies and is the easiest and quickest way up there. When you come out the elevator you'll be in a nice square, worth great lookouts over the bay. You'll probably see locals dressed in crinolines there or the next square along. I then went along to the left and cam to another great square with loads of beautiful building and loads of churches and every building was practically a different pastel colour. You may be lucky to see some local young men doing that fighting dance thingy, think it's called Capoeira (sp). Anyway very safe and easy to just wander around there.

Recife you have lot to choose form. it is worth the side trip up to Olinda (Portuguese for oh how beautiful). Lovely little place with fantastic lookouts. Then there are beaches a plenty or the old prison converted into an indoor market. The main civic area has some interesting European architecture - some looks French and some Dutch.

Rio, is amazing but stuff is spread out and depends how long you have in port. I know MDC had a long tour that took in most things and included costs of the cable car up Sugar Loaf and the tourist train up Corcovado to the Christ the Redeemer statue. I had 3 days post cruise so done it all with another lady on the cruise that I'd met online. Queues at sugar Loaf weren't bad, probably only a half hour wait and we spent around 1.5 - 2 hours there. There is 2 journeys up and 2 down, as there is a midway point and station where you get off and then have to get another car up the rest of the way. Corcovado was a completely different story. We got there just after 11am and only waited about 20 minutes to buy our tickets but they were for the 1pm train! We we weren't in a rush, so went to a local cafe for a while and then had an early lunch before returning. At both locations we saw MDC tours arrive and go straight to the front of the queue. I also love just strolling the beachfront from Copacabana to Ipanema then on to Leblon. The beach culture is so fascinating to see. Outdoor schools, gyms, beCh games, you name it all activities go on on the beach. Also like treating myself to a posh lunch at the Copacabana Palace!

Buenos Aires is safe and easy to explore on your own. Was a bit concerned when I was there as it was an anniversary of the falkland War. Apart from a peaceful demo at the government buildings, had no issues at all being a Brit. Do go to the cemetRy at Recoleta. There is so much more to it than just being the resting place of Eva Peron. Central area all round the parliament is nice for a stroll too. You absolutely have to have a steak there! If you are leaving the cruise there and having a post cruise stay, the Mio is one of the most amazing boutique hotels I've ever had the pleasure to stay in. The people who own it are vintners and you have complimentary wine on tap in the room! Rooms are huge too with a giant mahogany hand carved bath in the centre. Completely unique!

Edited by AmoMondo

Thank you so much, the information is brilliant and a great help, I'm sure others beside me will appreciate all the work you have put into your thread. Will be sure to follow it all

No worries. I got loads of help on the South American forum before my trip, so happy to pay back to others. Besides it's fun remembering my trips!

Hi Sharon, Just google rafa torres lopez. He pops up everywhere,facebook, you tube etc. If there are a few people he will do a group tour or just an individual tour. We have been to Rio before, so this time we knew what we wanted to see and he´s arranged a full day tour just for us about 250$. (his shared tours are not so expensive) If you haven´t been to Rio before it an be a bit overwhelming, but the places to see are Christ the Redeemer statueBut there is so much else as well, having a local guide to fit everything in and get you through the traffic is the best way. Manu Peclat is another recommended guide we have used before, again google is your friend to find more info and I´m sure they both have a mention on the South America bit of this board. Have fun planning all the things you want to do and see

Sandy in Spain

Visiting Recife down to Uruguay and Argentina. What currency do I need plus can I buy it before I go from the UK ?

Hi, you can buy Brazilian and Argentinean currencies from some branches of Marks and Spencers before you leave. If they do not have any in stock, they can usually obtain them for you within a reasonable timescale. I don't think that there is a minimum quantity so you could just as much as you think you need. Small denominations of US$ are also very useful in South America

Hi, you can buy Brazilian and Argentinean currencies from some branches of Marks and Spencers before you leave. If they do not have any in stock, they can usually obtain them for you within a reasonable timescale. I don't think that there is a minimum quantity so you could just as much as you think you need. Small denominations of US$ are also very useful in South America

Hi , thanks fir that info, will try them