Why such a discrepancy in pricing?

tarheelmjfan

I have been researching private tour companies for our stop in Ocho Rios. I find it odd that some of the recommended guides start their tours at $35 per adult & some have their tours starting at $80. :confused: Are some of the guides that much better than others? We want to get the most for our money, but also want to make sure that we're getting the best tour possible. Thanks :)

May depend on what is included in the tour. Most guides seem to start out at $35.00. $20.00 for the guide for the day or 1/2 day and $15.00 for Dunns River Falls admission. The $80 guides may have more stuff planned or included. They may include admission to river tubing ($20) and other things like that. Ask what the tour includes. Most guides I have seen on these boards all seem to be around the same price for similar offerings. We used Peat Taylor and he was $30 for the day with DRF included (before admission price increase).

Thanks for the info. :) I'm still a bit confused though. :o We have booked the Falls & Tubing tour through Phil Lafayette for $55/ person. Another highly recommended guide advertises this tour:

TUBING ON THE WHITE RIVER

Tube down a fun river. Not white water, but exciting as well as safe. Enjoy a hike on the jungle trail, swim in their private lagoon. It is like something out of a Disney movie.....

Shopping and a stop at our better art galleries are included in the day.

$90 per person

$100 including Dunn’s Falls

I'm just wondering what makes one tour $45/ person more than the other. What does this tour offer that the other doesn't? I don't want to miss anything incredible. :o Thanks again :)

That's a very good question. I do know that some tours go higher into the mountains so you are on the river longer. I am not sure that is worth $45.00 pp more. Our river tubing experience was about an hour or so or just under. WE had a great time and we could go to the Pottery factory or Fern Gulley or for lunch or any of that. We opted to go back to Couples Resort to show our friends whom we were traveling with. We then returned rather early and spent the rest of the afternoon at Margaritaville and shopping.

I am not sure what this other place offers that the others don't.

it may also depend on whether or not it is a group tour or tour just for your group. When we used Peat Taylor, we shared the van with others who were not in our group. When we used AZ Jamaica Planners, it was just our family--they really customized the tour for us and did exactly what we wanted.

I don't know why the difference in price. We just got back from our cruise and went on a tour with Phil Lafayette. The tour was great!!! and worth every penny...actually, I think it was quite a bargain for what we did. Dunn's falls, tubing, and Ocho Rios highlights in a very comforable small van/bus with about 15-20 people total. We originally weren't going to do the tubing. About 2/3 from the tour did the tubing and the other 1/3 didn't. At the last minute we decided to go tubing after all, and it was a blast!!! so glad we did. Tubing was about 45 minutes to 1 hour. I think we were the first group to arrive at Dunn's falls since there was no one around but staff. We had the climb to ourselves and I noticed that by the time we left, the crowds were arriving. We really enjoyed going early and missing the crowd. The cost without the tubing was $35 and with the tubing was $55. We met with Phil's tour at around 8:00 and got back to the ship at about 2:30 or so. Don't know what more a more expensive tour would be able to offer... This one was just great.

We didn't stop at any art galleries that were mentioned in the more expensive tour....but that just doesn't seem to be worth an extra $45.

Archived