How formal is formal?

xcell

Sorry but I don't understand the concept of anyone "feeling" overdressed or underdressed. Be comfortable in your own skin and dress in the style you like as long as it's within the guidelines or current practice is my suggestion. Don't sweat what others do in either direction but enjoy the fact that they are also comfortable and happy.

Clothes, the cost of your wristwatch or how many carats of diamonds you wear do not equal class ( despite what advertisers or the De Beers corporation have conditioned you from birth to believe). Manners, open mindedness, empathy, tolerance and following guidelines do. So if it states a jacket then wear one. If your prefer a tie, a dinner jacket, a tux then that cool as well.

I agree completely... I have never been bothered by what people might or might not think of me or how I'm dressed!

And I can say what someone on the table next to me is wearing has zero affect on how I enjoy my steak or cruise! I choose not to wear a tux or tie as I'm not comfy in either but I do wear a jacket to fit into celebrity's current dress code... :D

I will add one more thing. On board in any dinning room the cruise line is the host is it not?

If the host is OK with letting you in with whatever you wear then I don't see why it would it anyone else's (who are not the host but mere guests) business what you are or are not wearing.

Guidelines are general advice if I understand correctly and differ greatly in meaning to mandatory rules.

Yes there are guidelines but their interpretation is up to the host.

Edited by woodyren

I will add one more thing. On board in any dinning room the cruise line is the host is it not?

If the host is OK with letting you in with whatever you wear then I don't see why it would it anyone else's (who are not the host but mere guests) business what you are or are not wearing.

So true. On my last cruise they let gentlemen in in jeans and long sleeve shirts with no ties on formal night and as long as they are admitted no one should really care what they are wearing and in no way should it impact someone's cruising experience and if it does, then maybe they should eat somewhere else.

As far as feeling overdressed. On my last cruise, I wore formal gowns and there were probably maybe 10 other women who did the same, everyone else was in cocktail dresses, everyday dresses, beach dresses, etc. I felt way overdressed for the occasion. When one goes to a dinner, event, etc., you want to fit into the same dress standard as the majority of the others, or at least I do. It would be like coming to a black tie wedding and being the only one in shorts and flip flops, while everyone one else is in a long formal gown.

And you are so correct, Manners, open mindedness, empathy and tolerance are all things one should have and in having them, one should not pass judgment on others because they don't dress like they do or dress the way they want them to or have the a different opinion as they do or like different things then they do.

And quite frankly shame on RCCL for not enforcing it because if they're going two ask for to formal nights then it should be ""formal night" not ""kind of formal night"" because then no one knows what to wear!!

Wow. Life must be tough if you are incapable of reading a guideline asking for advice and making a decision based on what you like rather than one based on worrying about what some (imaginary in most cases) snob on the next table thinks.

Edited by woodyren

"Can I just wear a shirt and tie on formal nights ...... no jacket?" YES

"Will they let me into the MDR?" PROBABLY

"Will I be following the dress code on the website?" NO

And for goodness sake, for all those who say something like, "its your vacation, you paid for it, do what ever you want" ....... it reminds me of the woman who wore her robe and nightgown every morning to the buffet, or the large guy with his speedo at the pool, or the couple about 5 rooms down from us who hung a clothes line out on their balcony and hung their underwear out to dry ....... its their vacation let them do what they want .....

So true. On my last cruise they let gentlemen in in jeans and long sleeve shirts with no ties on formal night and as long as they are admitted no one should really care what they are wearing and in no way should it impact someone's cruising experience and if it does, then maybe they should eat somewhere else.

As far as feeling overdressed. On my last cruise, I wore formal gowns and there were probably maybe 10 other women who did the same, everyone else was in cocktail dresses, everyday dresses, beach dresses, etc. I felt way overdressed for the occasion. When one goes to a dinner, event, etc., you want to fit into the same dress standard as the majority of the others, or at least I do. It would be like coming to a black tie wedding and being the only one in shorts and flip flops, while everyone one else is in a long formal gown.

And you are so correct, Manners, open mindedness, empathy and tolerance are all things one should have and in having them, one should not pass judgment on others because they don't dress like they do or dress the way they want them to or have the a different opinion as they do or like different things then they do.

There's a difference in being open minded, tolerant and acknowledging that everyone is entitled to his opinion than actually agreeing with whatever someone thinks and does and valuing all opinions equally. If one sails through the world without making judgments on a whole variety of issues, it would be rather foolish. There's a reason for the term "good judgment". When someone uses the phrase "there's no right or wrong", it makes me wonder how they get through life with nothing to guide them in making choices.

In any case, there's no reason to be rude or confrontational and I've never seen anyone behave that way on board.

It's very simple, there are guide lines to follow. Are there exceptions? I'd say yes, for the person who's lost all they're luggage. Or the disabled child "like mine" who physically can't wear formal. But to the average Joe who simply "doesn't want to" then eat else where. No man has to wear a tux, a suit is fine. Live a little. Step outside of your Nike box. And I bet it would make your partners day! [emoji126]

I have not seen any enforcement of the jacket requirement on my last three cruises. They were in the Caribbean, Bermuda and Europe. My husband always wears a tux, but Indon'tnthink fir much longer.

Frankly, I'm ready for Celebrity to be smart casual at all times. I loved the elegant days when everyone was dressed formally everywhere on the ship for the entire evening. Now it looks ridiculous to see people walking around the ship on formal nights, some in tuxes and some in shorts and tee shirts.

I don't think there is any possibility of things going back to the way they used to be.

You can wear what you like - would you adhering to the dress code of "formal" no. Will they let you in the MDR - maybe, maybe not or they may hand you a "loaner" jacket.

If you want room service, the buffet, Blu or a speciality restaurant - those do not require formal but you'll find that many people in Blu and specialty will be formal.

The vast majority of Celebrity's clientele will dress to the code or dine in appropriate areas.

My partner and I dress for formal nights because that is what the dress codes asks for. Since we like the Celebrity "vibe" we try and do our part to foster it on formal and non formal occasions. Just another point of view.:)

My partner and I dress for formal nights because that is what the dress codes asks for. Since we like the Celebrity "vibe" we try and do our part to foster it on formal and non formal occasions. Just another point of view.:)

Us too, I love the only opportunity I get these days to dress up, and to see the DH in a tux, I don't understand the male reluctance to wear a tux as it is about the only male dress that can make almost any male look like James Bond:D

Guidelines are general advice if I understand correctly and differ greatly in meaning to mandatory rules.

While I believe that if you are requested to dress a certain way, the polite thing to do is comply.

On the other hand, I don't think it is appropriate for a host to criticize a guest's attire. And certainly not refuse admittance to the dining room That would not be polite.

If someone chooses to ignore the dress code, I really do think it is best for everyone to "not notice". Kind of like the Emperor's new clothes.

It's very simple, there are guide lines to follow. Are there exceptions? I'd say yes, for the person who's lost all they're luggage. Or the disabled child "like mine" who physically can't wear formal. But to the average Joe who simply "doesn't want to" then eat else where. No man has to wear a tux, a suit is fine. Live a little. Step outside of your Nike box. And I bet it would make your partners day! [emoji126]
Shirley, a question to you. Do they now not allow the woman in the daytime dress in on formal night, how about the one wearing the beach maxi dress or the one in the daytime pantsuit, because to be honest there is a huge amount of women who are wearing these on formal night. They do let them in, so if they are letting in all these women who don't abide by the dress code, why is everyone so hard on the men for their attire. Shouldn't the fashion police be looking at everyone?

I work in a professional office that requires suits and ties for the men and suits or professional dresses for the woman. On the other hand, my husband runs our construction company. It's nice to see him in a tux once in awhile. It's also nice to pick up the photos of formal night, we world not have that otherwise.

"

And for goodness sake, for all those who say something like, "its your vacation, you paid for it, do what ever you want" ....... it reminds me of the woman who wore her robe and nightgown every morning to the buffet, or the large guy with his speedo at the pool, or the couple about 5 rooms down from us who hung a clothes line out on their balcony and hung their underwear out to dry ....... its their vacation let them do what they want .....

Lets have a poll.

What would annoy you most on a cruise?

a) A woman who wears her robe to the breakfast buffet.

b) A large guy wearing speedos at the pool.

c) Someone's knickers hanging on the line in a cabin 5 rooms away.

d) Some busybody who worries about everyone else's business/dress etc and spend the cruise criticising them or complaining to others about them.

There is only one of the above that would have ANY affect on my fun at sea.

Edited by woodyren

Lets have a poll.

a) A woman who wears her robe to the breakfast buffet.

b) A large guy wearing speedos at the pool.

c) Someone's knickers hanging on the line in a cabin 5 rooms away.

d) Some busybody who worries about everyone else's business/dress etc and spend the cruise criticising them or complaining to others about them.

There is only one of the above that would have ANY affect on my fun at sea.

If I make the effort, why can't you? I think it's an insult to the fellow passengers who make the effort. Formal nights are part of the cruise tradition, one of the few traditions left, sadly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like a lot of things... Things change with time and maybe formal nights are becoming less interesting to a lot of new & Existing cruisers... Dress codes are being relaxed all over the cruse industry and they can only be because of one thing... The paying public are wanting the change...

I would rather spend an evening with someone that wasn't wearing a tux/formal gown but looked comfy then someone that wore a tux/dress and looked/felt like they couldn't wait to take it off...

If I make the effort, why can't you? I think it's an insult to the fellow passengers who make the effort. Formal nights are part of the cruise tradition, one of the few traditions left, sadly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because I/we don't go on holiday to please you...

I certainly wouldn't be going on holiday thinking...

"I hope that person I've never met or would likely choose not to ever meet is happy with my dress choices!"

lets have a poll.

A) a woman who wears her robe to the breakfast buffet.

B) a large guy wearing speedos at the pool.

C) someone's knickers hanging on the line in a cabin 5 rooms away.

D) some busybody who worries about everyone else's business/dress etc and spend the cruise criticising them or complaining to others about them.

There is only one of the above that would have any affect on my fun at sea.

😂😂😂