Drink Package on Independence of the Seas

karyn1582

Hi there! We are taking the family on the Independence of the Seas - Western Caribbean in June 2015. We were contemplating getting the drink package. We are only 2 days at sea, 1 day at the private island, 2 full days at port (11-7pm) and one day at port from 8-4pm. We are not planning on getting wasted by any means as we will have 2 6 year olds and a 12 year old. But we do like to enjoy a few cocktails. I just wondering if the Beer/Wine ($45/day) package is even worth it?? Any input??? Thanks!!::o:D:)

Hi there! We are taking the family on the Independence of the Seas - Western Caribbean in June 2015. We were contemplating getting the drink package. We are only 2 days at sea, 1 day at the private island, 2 full days at port (11-7pm) and one day at port from 8-4pm. We are not planning on getting wasted by any means as we will have 2 6 year olds and a 12 year old. But we do like to enjoy a few cocktails. I just wondering if the Beer/Wine ($45/day) package is even worth it?? Any input??? Thanks!!::o:D:)

Here's a good list of the drink menu:

http://cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

You can use it to determine how much you will spend each day if you bought drinks without the package.

• 4 months later...

Our youngest son will be two months shy of 21 when we cruise. He would like to enjoy a few drinks while on board. A glass of wine at dinner and a beer or two by the pool. How strict are they on enforcement?

Our youngest son will be two months shy of 21 when we cruise. He would like to enjoy a few drinks while on board. A glass of wine at dinner and a beer or two by the pool. How strict are they on enforcement?

He won't be able to buy any drinks himself as his sea pass will note that he is under drinking age.

If you purchase a drink and give it to him and get caught you could be removed from the ship.

You agreed to these rules.

He will be able to drink in port.

Just got back from Independence so here's $0.02 from me.

I got DW an Ultimate Package as her Christmas Gift, we were GS so much of my drinking was done in the CL.

DW noted it put less pressure on worrying about how the bills for the drinks would add up through the trip. No harm, no foul learning that Coke and Vanilla Vodka didn't cut it. Also, she had the freedom at dinner-- be it MDR, Chops or Giovanni's-- to ask the waiter to simply not let the wine glass go empty.

Labadee was a mixed bag because I think our cabana waiter wasn't cut out to be a professional bartender. She wanted Zinfandel and we finally got that straightened out with "it's the pink one." My guess is if you personally visit the bar at Labadee, probably not as confusing a deal.

Also, during the cruise she probably actually had to sign a printout ¼ of the time, if that, and when visiting bars she frequented enough to where the bartenders remembered her they'd ask if I wanted a drink even though I didn't have a package. I can't say I took them up more than 2 or 3 times over the course of the week, so I tried to keep with the spirit of the spirit rules. Also, these bartenders were tipped during the course of the trip and with a little something extra on the last day. Some have claimed/been worried that bar service had declined since the packages became so well-promoted. We really didn't see anything different than prior trips. Some bars were always better than others, and we came back to the ones that took care of us. Plaza Bar was our favorite.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

This statement in the Royal Caribbean "guest conduct policy" seems to contradict the "21" age minimum to consume alcoholic beverages. Has it just not been updated?

"No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest

under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes

ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is

responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid

potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they

are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Royal Caribbean

International cruise vacation."

This statement in the Royal Caribbean "guest conduct policy" seems to contradict the "21" age minimum to consume alcoholic beverages. Has it just not been updated?

That was part of a larger statement. The 18 is mentioned because some homeports do allow for drinking for 18+. I think that statement is saying no one under 18 will be allowed, anywhere.

Here are the two statements I found:

From the alcohol policy:

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

From the conduct policy:

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Royal Caribbean International ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Royal Caribbean International ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Royal Caribbean International may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Services or refer to the Cruise Compass for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Royal Caribbean International cruise vacation.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

• 2 weeks later...

I was 18 when my now husband and I started going on cruises together (I'm 26 now) He was 26 at the time and bought me plenty of drinks. I never got out of control and the ships officers clearly knew I was underage by me swiping in to get into the club and my hole punch on my card. As long as he's responsible, they won't be going around asking for your Seapass cards.

I agree with Derrick. If you take the chance you cold end up looking for a flight home from some foreign port. I personally don't think it's worth it for a few drinks.

• 3 weeks later...
Here are the two statements I found:

I know this is off topic but where can I get that trip counter thing you have above the countdowns in your signature? Thanks

Hi. Look at the top of any page, under the "Cruise Critic" box. Below will have links for various things, look for one that reads "countdown counter". Click that and follow the steps. Mine seems to be broken today and you can't see my upcoming cruises!

I was just on Enchantment of the Seas last week. I purchased the Premium drink package for my husband, and the royal replenish for myself. A complete waste of money on myself. I drank a total of 6 drinks on my package. I'm not a huge soda drinker, and thought I'd drink frozen coffees and fruity drinks... yeah, the frozen drinks were a joke, poorly made and poorly served. And it was so hot they started to melt as soon as they were made. Same thing with the ice coffees. I just didn't get my money's worth in use. Now for my husbands package, we got our money's worth and more. He was so cool with the bar tenders they never had an issue giving him more than one drink at a time. Plus he has a unisex name which meant I could take his card and get a drink occasionally. Even without that, if you don't drink a lot, it's not worth it. There's plenty to drink onboard for free - the windjammer and cafe's have lemonaide, iced tea, hot tea, coffee and water. Take a bug gulp type cup with you and use that.

Please keep in mind I have only ONE cruise under my belt. But when we just cruised they didn't seem to hold up the rules a lot. My husband was only told once that he couldn't get more than one drink. He always got two when he went up which is cool as it sometimes takes a while to get served. I would imagine that your son wouldn't be able to buy the drinks for himself, but if you or his father bought them, no one is going to be walking behind you monitoring WHO is drinking the drink. I would just wait to get onboard and see how diligent they appear to be. You can always buy the drink package onboard, you don't have to buy it before hand.

Drink packages are worth if for me. It's not worth it for my wife. So, I buy it, and my wife pays for her own drinks, which is about one every other day. When you get a package, you no longer think about it.