Can you go into port and leave kids on the ship?

RobinSie

Yes, with zero guilt. We dragged our child to Naples, knowing they wanted to be in the kids club. We didn't feel comfortable leaving him. One of the worst outburst we ever experienced. Had a long time out, went back to the ship and dropped him off at the club. We went back out and had a wonderful kid free walk in Italy!

What does Disney do with the kids if the parents never come back?

It was posted on a cruise site that if the parents miss the vessel, a CM is assigned to take care of the children until the next port, where the parents can rejoin the vessel or plans are made to fly them home.

That is our personal reason why we would never leave the kids on the vessel.....if we missed the ship.

AKK

Correct. You actually agree to this when you sign the kids up for the club, if I recall my legalese...

It was posted on a cruise site that if the parents miss the vessel' date=' a CM is assigned to take care of the children until the next port, where the parents can rejoin the vessel or plans are made to fly them home.

That is our personal reason why we would never leave the kids on the vessel.....if we missed the ship.

AKK[/quote']

That's a great question! I'm looking at videos of the Edge club and I'm wondering if I will be able to pry my 11 year old out of there to go swim with dolphins...

Years ago, when he was two, we dragged him out of kids club on NCL to go to a Luau in Hawaii... how I wished we could have left him there on the ship, he was devastated that we dragged him off the ship for a little Hawaiian culture! I guess two is a little young... 11 is an entirely different story.

That's a great question! I'm looking at videos of the Edge club and I'm wondering if I will be able to pry my 11 year old out of there to go swim with dolphins...

Years ago, when he was two, we dragged him out of kids club on NCL to go to a Luau in Hawaii... how I wished we could have left him there on the ship, he was devastated that we dragged him off the ship for a little Hawaiian culture! I guess two is a little young... 11 is an entirely different story.

You're absolutely right. A luau for a 2 year old.....nope. But dolphins?!!! I wouldn't turn that down, but I'm crazy about them. I guess that will depend on what your child is interested in. :)

As to the original question, as stated by others, you CAN leave them on the ship, but I personally wouldn't.

8 and 10 are great ages for seeing other cultures, and learning things they could report back to their classes in school. Maybe extra credit? We had our kids keep a short journal of their travels, and the awesome thing was reading what they wrote later, and seeing things through their eyes.

Ours were 8 and 11 on our first cruise, in Nassau we went to Blue Lagoon, where they practiced snorkeling among other things. The next year, we took them on catamaran snorkel trips and our son is now a diver. They love it.

I see the situation in a couple of ways. The kids will LOVE the ship and the clubs, so leaving them isn't a horrible thing to do (other than the worry of mom and dad missing the ship, or having some kind of accident, heaven forbid) BUT...if my husband and I wanted to go see things on our own, without the kids, we wouldn't take them in the first place. We just were very, very picky about who we left our kids with, and also very into family time and exploring and learning.