Size of outdoor spaces

dirtworker

Ive not been on Oasis sized ships so the only other larger ship Ive been on is the Explorer. In looking at the photos posted here from different people, it looks as though the main pool area is no larger than a much smaller ship. I know there is the solarium and I believe another outdoor pool near the bow, but on a warm, sea day, where most everyone is outside and usually near the main pool area, it seems the pool area is really not very big for 4200 people.

Obviously it is what it is but just wondering if any of you have this perception of the outdoor spaces being too small due to the other bells and whistles this ship has on the upper decks.

Edited by dirtworker

I agree that the top pool deck looks to have limited space. The seaplex does appear to take up plenty of room up there. Too early to know but I hope there is not an issue with finding lounge chairs available. This was a big problem on the NCL Breakaway. Between their fee based adult pool area forward, the slides and the rope course aft, the space left in between to accomodate loungers is very small. All great features so I guess you can't have the best of both worlds. I'm a little more confident though that RCL built the design to avoid such crowding issues and that the pictures are deceiving.

I think the ships appearance is a bit deceiving. The SeaPlex hasn't taken any space away from the pools. The FlowRider and RipCord appear to be squeezed into a very tight spot not much larger than the Freedom class FlowRiders had. The SeaPlex then occupies the space normally used by the majority of the sports deck (basketball court, rock wall, etc) as well as the entire Viking Crown Lounge. The North Star is also not taking up any space since it sits above the one pool and the loading area occupies what normally would be the sky bar. Where all the space went was reallocation of the pools. if you remove the indoor pool that space is huge. The indoor pool appears to be at least on par with the normal main pools if not larger (I believe larger). They then have an equal size space outside that they divided into a slightly smaller than normal main pool and IMO a small H20 Zone. Beyond these two spaces though you also have a fully glassed Adult Solarium in the front which would normally not be used by pools. So if you actually look at the pool space the Quantum class appears to be maybe 20% more than Freedom class. The problem is knowing if people will use the Adult Solarium when it's warm (they appear to on Oasis class) and will opening the indoor pool be enough to keep people using it every day of the cruise. It's the indoor pool that we really don't know about. Based on what I saw on the Grandeur the answer is no, the Adult Solarium was packed on cold days but empty on warm days even though the outside pool was packed and the indoor one was the ships adult only pool. We'll just have to wait and see. Quantum's pool is much larger and the walls are glass so it should feel much more open and get more sun than the tiny opening above a Vision class pool so that may be enough of a difference.