Identification Documents

BigPaul26

We are cruising to Mexico in October and I have a question about identification. We were planning on bringing birth certificates and drivers licenses. My wifes drivers license has two additonal letters on the first name then what is on the birth certificate. Has anyone recently gone through something like this and was it a problem?

Paul

I am not sure what you mean by extra letters but generally if it is a form of the same name its not a problem ie. marian and marianne. In the past things like this where routinely overlooked. 99.44% it won't be an issue. The rules now are more complicated and more open to intrepretation. If you want to be a 100% sure get the drivers license reissued or get a passport.

Hi Paul, I am thinking it has something to do with the state of issue. It will probably not be any trouble. Birth certificate and drivers license will work until the end of year and then all will be requiered to get passports. They are expensive but last 10 years. Have a great trip.

Passports are only $40 or $50 (I can't remember which) for 10 years! That's not too expensive for anyone who travels for the peace of mind it gives you!

Hate to tell you this but the cost of passports has gone way up. I think at the moment it is running about $97 to get one. Still worth it for 10 years of travel.

Sorry, posted before you could edit.

Archived