How far in advance to book apt. rentals?

JenMJM

Our first visit to Europe will be next October. We have the cruise booked, and we know we want to stay 3 nights in Rome before and then take a train to Venice to stay 3 nights after the cruise. We are going with another couple and want to rent apartments in both cities. I have a pretty large list of interesting properties that meet our criteria, but I don't know at what point I should really start narrowing down the two lists and send out booking inquiries.

Is a year too far ahead? Should I wait until our flights are booked next year (which could be in May or June)? Thoughts, please, from anyone who has been through this process:confused:

I haven't rented in those cities, but have often rented self-catering vacation rentals (self-catering is a British term, but useful for searching Italy rentals due to the large number of Brits that vacation there, so is also used by Italy renters). Personally, I don't think a year out is too soon to send some inquiries for information - the best/most popular properties often are rented months in advance, so at least showing your interest at this point is useful. The owners might not have their final pricing set for next year, but you can at least get a basic idea of pricing.

We have rented 2 apartments in Rome and have our 3rd booked for next April.

We have also rented in many other locations…….

A year is definitely not too far out to book. The best apartments will book early and fast……. you can always tell the "favorites" by looking at the calendar on the booking website (sleepinitaly, vrbo etc) Some people return year after year and stay in the same apartment, sometimes for a month or more…….

I would not hesitate to begin dialogue with the owner/booking agent now. Usually once you decide and book it, the price will be set out on the contract and will not change.

We LOVE staying in apartments in Rome (havent stayed in one in Venice) besides giving you more room you can save a TON of money over a hotel.

Hope you are looking in the historic city center……. you can walk to everything !

Our favorite area is Pantheon/Piazza Navonna.

Hope you are looking in the historic city center……. you can walk to everything !

Yes, we definitely are! There are several absolutely amazing properties in Rome and a couple in Venice (in terms of beauty, architecture, functionality, and location) but lots of other great plan Bs and Cs, too.

I'll start narrowing the list over the next week or so and send out some feelers. Thanks so much for the feedback!

I have rented several apartments, and do a lot of research before booking.

Things that I look out for:

Good central location for walking.

Check out the area on Google Maps street view to see how the area looks.

Study the photo's carefully. I pay careful attention to bathrooms, look for upgraded shower or bathtub.

If need 2 bedrooms, make sure they are actually 2 full size rooms. Many second bedrooms are a small room with single bed, or bunk beds.

If 2 bedroom, I always look for 2 bathrooms.

See what floor, remember the floor is one more than we are used to, so 1st floor is up one flight of stairs.

Elevator...there are many apartments on the 4th, 5th floor (5-6 flights of stairs) where there is no elevator in the building.

Air conditioning if its at time of year you may need it, many do not have AC.

Read reviews, see about noise problems. I try to avoid places with no reviews.

Look for non-smoking apartments if you are sensitive to smoke odors.

Make sure lists WIFI if you are going to use it.

Call me crazy but we leave in 3 weeks and I booked Tuscany & Rome apartments pre-cruise & Barcelona post cruise in April 2013! Eighteen months ahead of time to get the apartments we wanted.

Read lots of reviews & as we are traveling with another couple we wanted 2 separate bedrooms & 2 separate baths. It had to be non smoking & near the main attractions.

We also rented for 2 nights in each location which also limits the potential apts as most want 3 nights or more.

I have stayed in contact over the past 18 months with each place. One had a very minimal deposit 40€, one had about a 50% deposit and one was 1/3 initial, 1/3 60 days out & balance upon arrival.

We've rented thru VRBO in the past and have always had good luck in the US.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you find an apartment that you really like don't wait to book because it might not be there when you do go to book. I booked mine a year in advance. I have rented two apartments in Rome from Rental in Rome and they were very easy to rent from and their apartments are very nice.

So far, I have followed every single piece of advice given - only picking ones with (recent) reviews, 2 full bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, location on the map, wifi, washing machine, etc. So glad that I was already doing the right things for the past several months:)

I found an apartment on Rental in Rome that I love, and most of the other options are from VRBO or AirBnB.

Thank you, all, for your advice and thoughtful replies!

So far, I have followed every single piece of advice given - only picking ones with (recent) reviews, 2 full bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms, location on the map, wifi, washing machine, etc. So glad that I was already doing the right things for the past several months:)

I found an apartment on Rental in Rome that I love, and most of the other options are from VRBO or AirBnB.

Thank you, all, for your advice and thoughtful replies!

Ripetta25

Sleeps 6 2 baths ancient building with incredibly modern European apartments

I booked thru venere.com but you can also just go to Ripetta 25 website

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have rented 2 apartments in Rome and have our 3rd booked for next April.

We have also rented in many other locations…….

A year is definitely not too far out to book. The best apartments will book early and fast……. you can always tell the "favorites" by looking at the calendar on the booking website (sleepinitaly, vrbo etc) Some people return year after year and stay in the same apartment, sometimes for a month or more…….

I would not hesitate to begin dialogue with the owner/booking agent now. Usually once you decide and book it, the price will be set out on the contract and will not change.

We LOVE staying in apartments in Rome (havent stayed in one in Venice) besides giving you more room you can save a TON of money over a hotel.

I've used VRBO once (Puerto Vallarta) and airbnb twice (PV and Barcelona). I like the airbnb website better.

What web site do you use for Rome?

I've used VRBO once (Puerto Vallarta) and airbnb twice (PV and Barcelona). I like the airbnb website better.

What web site do you use for Rome?

The last two I used Sleepinitaly.com

She worked with us last year to find just the right apartment since we had my mother in law with us who can't do stairs….. one or two but thats it. Many buildings have an elevator but usually with stairs before you even get to the elevator….. she found one with 2 steps :D

So I used them again for our upcoming stay next April even though that is not an issue this trip.

I forget who I booked our first apartment through - it was 2011 and I am doing good to remember what I had for dinner 3 nights ago :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciated the responses to my post. Taking your advice, I payed attention to details (and bathroom photos) and found two great places that I booked today. One is in Rome 2 blocks from the Pantheon, and the other is in Venice on a canal in the Dorsoduro neighborhood.

Thanks again!