How is the food on the Splendor?

samzgirl84

If you have recently sailed the Splendor, what is your opinion of the food on board? I understand that opinions are objective, but I would still be interested.

I was on Splendor this year in June and I thought the food was excellent in Tandoor(Indian food lunch only), very good in buffet and MDR. Dessert in the buffet was not good, in the MDR much better. Actually I really love those sweet soups(peach soup, strawberry soup), I get them for dessert and not as an appetizer. They taste light, refreshing and sweet, in my opinion perfect for dessert.

Oh I forgot definitely go for Brunch, its pretty good too. Brunch is on all the sea days that you will have, and I think its from 8AM till 1PM.

Edited by cruiseelady

We found the food to be as expected, or better. We expected food equal to local (NYC area) banquet hall quality, and for the most part it was better than most weddings we've been to locally.

Breakfast from the buffet was hit or miss. Neither of us ever got anything from the omelet station - that would have improved our liking a bit, probably. I'd call the buffet average.

Brunch in the MDR was excellent. We went two or three times. Everyone in our group loved everything they ordered. Better than diner quality.

Lunch at the buffet was fine. Pizza was much, much better than we expected. So much better. The hotdog/hamburger/fries were meh. Not worth the wait. The deli was very good. Great pastrami sandwiches. My husband loved the Indian food. I don't really like Indian food, so I didn't eat much of it, but what I did eat was good. The rotisserie up on Deck 10 was decent. Good chicken, good mac and cheese. I think there were baked potatoes there, too. The wok station was very good. My sister loved the mexican, as did my cousin. I didn't have it.

We mostly ate dinner in the MDR. Most of it was slightly better than banquet hall quality food. Some of the apps just weren't good, like the gator nuggets were all breading/batter. I hated the escargot texture, but my sister loved it - that was the only thing I really truly disliked.

The steakhouse was excellent, with the exception of dessert. No one in our group of 8 that dined together liked the chocolate sampler or the cheesecake. The apple puff was good. The cheesecake was disgusting. Full of gelatin and fillers. NY Cheesecake or Bust. ;)

Edited by irishnyc

Standard buffet was really awful - avoid the "standard" buffet food and do the "special" items if you're gonna eat on Lido. For breakfast, that means hit the omelette station (even if you want scrambled eggs - you'll thank me:). For lunch, that means hit the Rotisserie, the Tandoor, the Mongolian, the Grill, the Pizza, or the best place (best workers who made anything you wanted) - the Deli. At dinner, just don't eat on Lido.

Room service sandwiches and chocolate cake were as good as advertised - breakfast salmon was good, too (although juice and coffee were subpar - go to the dining room if you want a decent version of either)...

Dining room was good at breakfast and brunch (especially coffee and juice), although there were some hit and miss dishes. Dinner in the dining room had really good and really average days (1st day and a mid cruise day were pretty poor, but there were some all star nights, too) - overall, it met expectations and made me happy (although service can be REALLY slow especially if you are on YTD). If you want opinions on particular dishes, just ask - my party had practically everything on the menu.