Salalah port agent info

sterri

Trying to find out specific info about Salalah port agent,specifically contact name and phone number. We have booked a private tour and the guide has informed us he cannot pick us up at the ship unless he gets permission from the port agent. So for Oceania has not been cooperative inproviding this information. I can't think of why not, as it is clearly listed on the port review placed in everyone's cabin the night before. If anyone out there can help with this, we would greatly appreciate it.

012446.jpg I get the feeling that your Guide may be yanking your chain a bit, because the cruise port in Salalah isn't exactly thriving. It is unlikely that there are more than two or three Port Agents operating there, and in an environment that small, everybody usually knows everybody else, and what jobs they did and did not get.

That said, if Oceania wasn't forthcoming, it usually means that they are still "in negotiations" with one or more of those Agents, but haven't signed the contracts yet. This often happens in seldom used Ports, and if they haven't signed somebody up, you can't get blood out of a stone.

In any case, the ship can't sail without an Agent being assigned for each Port, so if you insist on taking this task on, give it a little time, or ask your Travel Agent to check back with the Cruise Line periodically.

Edited by StanandJim

012446.jpg I get the feeling that your Guide may be yanking your chain a bit, because the cruise port in Salalah isn't exactly thriving. It is unlikely that there are more than two or three Port Agents operating there, and in an environment that small, everybody usually knows everybody else, and what jobs they did and did not get.

That said, if Oceania wasn't forthcoming, it usually means that they are still "in negotiations" with one or more of those Agents, but haven't signed the contracts yet. This often happens in seldom used Ports, and if they haven't signed somebody up, you can't get blood out of a stone.

In any case, the ship can't sail without an Agent being assigned for each Port, so if you insist on taking this task on, give it a little time, or ask your Travel Agent to check back with the Cruise Line periodically.

Thanks much for your reply. Perhaps there is not yet an agent contracted with, which is why they cannot give me a reply. I'm sure our guide knows there are several agents and wants to approach the correct one for authorization. As for having my chain yanked, I doubt this as I have read from numerous sources that the taxi drivers in Salalah are quite protective of their territory near the port Gate regarding tourists. Our guy said that if he drove up to the port in his company vehicle he would most likely be harassed. Having experienced the tenacity of taxi drivers in some ports, I believe it.This squares with everything I've read about that port. I will take your advice about waiting until closer to departure time. There certainly should be in agent contracted with at that time.

Unless the security situation changed from this spring, there were plenty of taxis and guides inside the small port, right by the disembarkation stairs. No issue on returning to ship.

Could be they had obtained clearance beforehand but, again, the security atmosphere was not as amped up as it was in any number of other ports (India for example). Perhaps many of the Yemeni and Omanis present knew each other or there was vetting before they were allowed entrance.