Email price reduction question?

kbh2

We are booked on Dream in March 2015 under early saver. I received an email this morning about upgrades/ onboard cash etc. When I go thru the booking process it shows a price for same category it has this special

National Cruise Vacation Week Sale. The price is $40.00 more for 2 people than we paid.

$50 non refundable onboard credit per stateroom

50% non-refundable reduced deposit (reserve your cruise for up to $150 less per person)

Free 2 category upgrade (value up to $40 per person)

Offer expires October 13, 2014

Great Vacation Guarantee

So my question is

1.The $50 onboard credit would be good

2. Deposit is a non issue because it is already paid

3. 2 category upgrade- nice option but we do have 3 ocean views booked all together so will they move us all together? We have aft ocean view rooms now.

So what would those of you do that know something about the pros and cons and the process?

It also says for new bookings only so are we even eligible for this?

Edited by kbe2

I would call Carnival and ask them. Count the OBC as part of your price. I did that and got it on the sale last week. Plus Carnival does too. They actually denied a price drop because the OBC kept my current price lower.

with the 2 category upgrade you can keep your rooms, but pay for a category 2 below your category. what is your room category? as long as you are not the lowest category it should help reduce your price. when you fill out the price protection form make sure you click OBC and not room upgrade. if you fill the form out before making your final payment it will just reduce the amount you owe. if you paid the cruise off then you would get the amount in obc.

Yes, you can submit and should get... Though, they will charge you $20 more.

Also, in regards to losing the OBC, you will lose it if you agree to the price change. When I did this on Saturday, they told me this and I told them to just stick with what I had since in the overall price (including OBC), I would be out $10.

Go onto the Carnival website and do a mock booking to see what you can change to. And if better, give them a call and see what they say. BTW, after "resubmitting" my price drop today, was approved in 15 minutes.. YEAH!!!

It does not look like there is any availability for 2 upgrades doing a mock booking so what do they do in that instance? I have a call in but had to leave a voicemail for the carnival rep to call me back

Well after talking to rep I decided to go ahead and submit request. Looks like our fare will go up 40 but we will get 50 in onboard credit. So we are $10 ahead in each cabin. Only $10 but money is money as far as I am concerned. I will let you know what the outcome is...

great... just keep watching... but realize the $50 is now part of your fare cost and must be factored in for any future price cuts.

A lot of people forget this! I am trying to explain it to the family travelling with us... but it gets confused to newer cruisers.

great... just keep watching... but realize the $50 is now part of your fare cost and must be factored in for any future price cuts.

What does that mean exactly? Add $50 to my fare? If so I may get more reductions...

I just had it explained to me by Carnival on Saturday when there was a different price drop but the OBC caused it to still be cheaper with the current price. Then this new sale came out today and had a higher price than Saturday but included the OBC... YEAH!!!! :)

What does that mean exactly? Add $50 to my fare? If so I may get more reductions...

Let's assume you have 1 cabin under the National Cruise week fare and you've got a $50.00 OBC..... next month there is another sale with price drop. In order to change, the new fare must be MORE THAN $50.00 cheaper than what your current fare because you lose the $50.00 OBC (assuming the new fare offer doesn't also have a $50.00 OBC).

Edited by QTPieRye

Let's assume you have 1 cabin under the National Cruise week fare and you've got a $50.00 OBC..... next month there is another sale with price drop. In order to change, the new fare must be MORE THAN $50.00 cheaper than what your current fare because you lose the $50.00 OBC (assuming the new fare offer doesn't also have a $50.00 OBC).

So you can loose your onboard credit and basically be back to same price I originally booked?

So you can loose your onboard credit and basically be back to same price I originally booked?

Yes... let's say you find a fare $50.00 cheaper than what you paid for your cruise with the $50.00 OBC. You would break-even and gain nothing because while your cruise fare is reduced, you lose your OBC.