Water Package available or needed?

BlessedAZWife

FYI: We are currently experiencing a diesel fuel odor in the ships drinking/shower water. Yes you heard that correct. I have a water bottle full of stinky diesel water that came out of my faucet in the bathroom. Now it comes and goes and it started right after our delay out of Puntarenas due to “Technical Difficulties” connected? not certain. I encourage those boarding in Ft Lauderdale to just be aware (not freaked out). I did bring a case of bottled water on board and for me, a none issue. However, if you can get bottled water before boarding and then slap a luggage tag on it, id probably do it.

This came from MTJSR who is doing a Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess. I wonder how often this can happen? I would hate to have to brink my own bottle water on but for piece of mind I will. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone had bloating issues with drinking the tap water on board? I've taken a Carnival Cruise in the past and had issues with bloating since they used desalinization to purify it, and still had a fair amount of salt in it.

There have been other threads on this over the years. Yes, some say they cannot drink tap water onboard ship without ankle swelling or bloating, or only can drink it in limited amounts. Others say they have no problem with it. The desalination (at least on some ships) seems to remove some, but not all, of the excess sodium. I personally have noticed that it can vary from cruise to cruise and ship to ship.

Ship drinking water can be local tap taken on in port, or processed onboard (desalinated and purified) sea water, or both. I was on a California/Hawaii RT cruise years ago, and noticed that midway across the Pacific the onboard water went from tasting "normal" to quite salty. I figured that was the point at which the port-acquired tap water ran out, and the desalinated water began being used.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I was on a California/Hawaii RT cruise years ago, and noticed that midway across the Pacific the onboard water went from tasting "normal" to quite salty. I figured that was the point at which the port-acquired tap water ran out, and the desalinated water began being used.

You can also usually tell by how 'slippery' the water feels in the shower.

The water made on board has minerals added back into it, but it

is still much softer than most bunkered water.

You can also usually tell by how 'slippery' the water feels in the shower.

The water made on board has minerals added back into it, but it

is still much softer than most bunkered water.

Interesting! I've never noticed this before, but I'll pay more attention to it in the future.

FYI: We are currently experiencing a diesel fuel odor in the ships drinking/shower water. Yes you heard that correct. I have a water bottle full of stinky diesel water that came out of my faucet in the bathroom. Now it comes and goes and it started right after our delay out of Puntarenas due to “Technical Difficulties” connected? not certain. I encourage those boarding in Ft Lauderdale to just be aware (not freaked out). I did bring a case of bottled water on board and for me, a none issue. However, if you can get bottled water before boarding and then slap a luggage tag on it, id probably do it.

This came from MTJSR who is doing a Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess. I wonder how often this can happen? I would hate to have to brink my own bottle water on but for piece of mind I will. :(

I was on that cruise a few cabins down from MTJSR and didn't experience any water issues, not disputing MTJSR's experience, just cautioning not to extrapolate too much.

I bought some bottles of water in Mexico then refilled them the rest of the cruise. I need to get a bottle to travel with.

I hate all the bottled water packages that are offered on some lines. Just such a waste for the environment.

I think the tap water is drinkable, but it is often lukewarm. On our Star cruise this month the tap water (and shower) were always really hot (you could almost make tea with it). So, we just loaded up bottles we'd already consumed and put them in the refrigerator (more like a cooler) and then later in the day they were ready to drink. This plan worked great and we only had to carry on two bottles rather than packing around a whole case. Water is always available at meals and in bars as well.

Tom

If Princess can make money by bottling their tap water and selling it, they would. :)

We have the steward bring a bucket of ice at bedtime. Fill our water bottles with the ice and place it in the fridge. The next morning we have cold water and then we add more ice. We usually have water all day. No problem with the water on Princess at all.