Chankanaab Park? (Cotton? Anyone Else?)

Rowan555

We were planning to go to Mr Sanchos when we hit Cozumel, but now I'm considering Chankanaab. My son is very much into history/archaeology, but at 4 and 6 my kids are not ready for the long drive and long walks involved with the Tulum tour and other ruins tours. I'm thinking Chankanaab might be the perfect combination of beach/gardens/history that my kids would enjoy.

Any opinions on doing Chankanaab instead of one of the "regular" beaches? Also, do they have their own website? I have searched and just get review sites.

I had read on these boards that Chank would be closed for a while due to hurricane damage. Maybe they'll be open by the time you arrive. As something of a history buff myself, I have to say that the archeology/history at the park was interesting, but all reproductions. It was a nice place to spend the day when we were there last year, but if you want to expose them to some true ruins, wait until they're able to physically handle a trip to some of the better sites.

We went and did Dolphin Discovery at the Park, they have there own website. We did the Dolphin Encounter. The kids 5 and 10 loved it. If you do it, wear water shoes, you stand in the water on a metal walkway. Also, take bug spray, I was bitten by some huge mosequitos. The sea lion show was just okay. We did not walk around the park, it was very hot the day we were there. There is a beach right next to the Dolphin Discovery place and the kids got in the water there for a while before our Dolphin Encounter. We did not go to Tulum for the same reason.

Chankaab Park is excellent and there are lots of places to walk and enjoy the tropical environment. There is a small Mayan ruin area as well. The snorkeling there is outstanding. We loved the tiki huts but the beach area is limited though there is one. The rest is basically a man-made beach but it doesn't grade into the water. There are large, granite blocks that you step down on to get into the water for snorkeling but you can walk in by the beach area. YOu'd just need to swim over to the snorkeling area. We loved Chanakaab Park and last year decided to go to Paradise Beach. They are two totally different places but both wonderful. Also, I belive the admission fee for Chanakaab is $12 per person and they don't take credit cards for admission. You can rent snorkeling equipment from two places and both were the same price two years ago. There were lockers in the changing/bathroom area but believe I read that has now changed. We left our valuables in the locker but left our bag with towels, camera, etc., right by our chairs and had no problem. Everyone else was doing the same thing. Enjoy!

It's great. I have been twice. There were free chairs with covers. There is a good restaurant on site and a gift shop, small museum, ruin reproduction in a shaded area. Beautiful lagoon. You can watch the dolphins even if you do not pay extra for the show.

I was at Chankanaab Park in 2003 and did the dolphin swim. I'm going back in 37 days and doing it again! I just loved the dolphins.

After we do our swim, we are thinking of going to Mr. Sanchos.. Chankanaab was very nice, but I want a little more "lively" and with the DJ, etc. I think Sanchos may be for us!

Have a wonderful time!

if i were traveling with children, this is one spot that i would take them to...they are too young to appreciate Tulum, but the scale of the "ruins" in this park is perfect for them to get a brief introduction...and there are other activities that can keep them occupied and interested (and beach boy servers for the mommy)!

Hey Rowan! Here's another site you might look at:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches Just scroll down to Chankanaab and click on.

I've been there twice, and absolutely love Chank! I think, for your two little ones, it won't matter that the 'ruins' are replicated. They would enjoy being there much more than one of the long treks to the actual ruins. The botanical gardens are lovely. The loungers on the beach under the palapas are oddly shaped but plentiful.

The little beach area would be perfect for your children....very shallow, and they can see teeny tiny fish in there. This the first area you see, and it's kinda like a little cove. Nice. The other beach area is huge, and is on a craggy shore, perfect for snorkeling with the reefs right there.

I had lunch at the al fresco restaurant, just past the 'little beach'. The food was wonderful, and I thought the prices were good. Last time, I had a quesadilla, salsa and chips, and a margarita - all for $7.50. They have strolling mariachis, and the view is fabulous from any table. Also - waiters will come to you on the beach for drink orders, but they're not pushy. I paid in cash, so not sure about credit cards.

On one trip there, I was bothered by flies, but on the other trip, I wasn't. So, maybe just take some Deet or something, just in case.

Y'all will be able to see the dolphins performing even if you don't do the encounter. There's a wooden 'sidewalk' at water's edge where you can stand and watch. I have some wonderful footage I took with my camcorder.

There are a few shops there, and a sealion and parrot show the kiddies might like. Lots to do and see - and I WILL return to Chankanaab on my next visit to Cozumel!:)

i went to chank park in jan 2005 and did the dolphin swim then had my 1st snorke exper. there. and to say the least it is my most fav. place to go i will be going back in sept. even with the 12 fee to get in it has everything you can imagine.

We visited the park in March. I thought it was a nice place for the money -- the fake village was a nice attempt, and the 10-year old with us thought it was pretty cool. I found the food to be overpriced, but the Bahama Mamas were tasty :). Well worth the entrance fee, but if you're looking for a "Tulum experience" you will likely be disappointed.

Not at all - I would be happy at Mr Sancho's or Paradise Beach. My 6 year old is very into pyramids, ruins, and all things historical right now, so I was leaning towards Chankanaab to give him that taste of history while still getting the beach experience too. I don't care about Tulum one way or the other, but we'll definitely take the kids when they're old enough to appreciate it and not be distressed by the long drive to get there, and the amount of walking.

Archived