Volendam Cabin/Bath Renovation?

JennAngel9

Hi All,

We are looking at taking a family cruise with our parents next summer and I want to make sure I get my in laws a room with a bathtub-- however, when I looked at deck plans for the Volendam on HAL's site it says: "NOTE: C-category staterooms become shower-only after December 22, 2014." Is there a major renovation planned? Is it for C-category staterooms only or all categories below C (i.e. all Oceanview cabins?)? I think we would be happier overall on Volendam than Noordam (they have the same itinerary) but don't want to pay to put them in a nicer cabin with bathroom if it won't be nice by next year!

Also, if anybody has pics of OV baths on the Volendam class ships they would like to share or direct me to, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hi All,

We are looking at taking a family cruise with our parents next summer and I want to make sure I get my in laws a room with a bathtub-- however, when I looked at deck plans for the Volendam on HAL's site it says: "NOTE: C-category staterooms become shower-only after December 22, 2014." Is there a major renovation planned? Is it for C-category staterooms only or all categories below C (i.e. all Oceanview cabins?)? I think we would be happier overall on Volendam than Noordam (they have the same itinerary) but don't want to pay to put them in a nicer cabin with bathroom if it won't be nice by next year!

Also, if anybody has pics of OV baths on the Volendam class ships they would like to share or direct me to, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

The Volendam is going for dry dock in December, so changes could be coming.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1169

If I read this correctly, it is just the C category staterooms that will become Lanai staterooms and have walk in showers. Feel free to correct me if I don't understand. I'm actually curious about booking Lanai category for us, but don't seem to be able to do it on HAL's site for a cruise departing next September.

Yes, a number of outside cabins on the Volendam are being converted to having shower stalls. I don't know what percentage of the outsides are involved. We greatly prefer (actually, now require) cabins with the shower stalls. The tubs are small in the first place (not really conducive to a luxurious soak) and the sink vanities are considerably larger in the cabins with the shower stall. I'm 5'4" and the top rim of the tubs is above my knee. That alone makes it more difficult to enter and exit. Also, the bottom of the tub is noticeably higher than the bathroom floor which adds to my problems. I think the shower only bathrooms are actually "nicer" than the tub ones. ;)

The Hotel Director who told us about the renovations did say that 'some' of the bathrooms were being converted. I got the impression that a few on the Volendam had already been done (sort of an example). I meant to ask him to clarify what I understood but the conversation diverted to something else. I may be mistaken as to where he saw the new bathrooms, but he did stress that they were VERY nice (what else could he say ;)).

Anyway, the bathrooms will be done when the Volendam goes into dry dock. You'll probably have to wait until January to see actual pictures of the redone bathrooms.

The rim of the tubs are lower on the Noordam. Those are easier to get in and out of when showering.

If the cabins getting the shower stalls are only those being converted to Lanai cabins, we wouldn't book those anyway. Those cabins are smaller than the inside cabins on the same deck. They are the reason we note "do not upgrade" on our reservations. The outside cabins on the lower decks are larger than the Lanai cabins.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Yes it is just the C grades which are changing, but make sure you are looking at a current deck plan as some cabins have already been reclassified. The C grades are the more central ones on main deck and the lower prom ones are now D's. It is the D's not the C's therefore that are becoming lanais. We have booked a C for next month because of mobility problems we wanted to be nearer centre elevators and we like main deck. The lanais for the D's and the change to showers for the C's happen at the beginning of December when Volendam has its refit in Singapore.