Internet Access Charges - Any Tips?

cardero

I am taking the 23 day repositioning cruise in Oct. on the Spirit and need to use the Internet for a few hours each of the 23 days. I am scared to even think of the cost for this.

Is there any mega-block of time you can get at a discounted bulk rate or any tips/suggestions? Is it cheaper to bring a laptop and just use the Internet access rather than the computers in the Internet Cafe onboard...?

Some phones are satellite compatible. I suppose they would work mid sea. If you have certain services on your mobile phone (mine is a Sprint Treo 650) you pay $15 per month for unlimited internet (www, Email, etc.) access. We're cruising Hawaii and expect to check our email several times a day on my cell phone. Just a thought

Milt

I am taking the 23 day repositioning cruise in Oct. on the Spirit and need to use the Internet for a few hours each of the 23 days. I am scared to even think of the cost for this.

Is there any mega-block of time you can get at a discounted bulk rate or any tips/suggestions? Is it cheaper to bring a laptop and just use the Internet access rather than the computers in the Internet Cafe onboard...?

What do you need to do for 2 hours a day!

If you are using email the laptop is a must it will save you 100s of dollars. You can produce all your email off line. You need to make sure the laptop is wifi equiped. Logon and send.

If you have a pop3 account or accessing an exchange mail server that allows you to use outlook or outlook express you can download all your mail. Log off produce all your replies, log on and send saving hours of expensive time.

Also look ito internet cafes in the ports and free wifi hot spots.

Best deal onboard $.40 per minute - at 2 hours per day for 23 days that is $1104 :eek:

I had a similiar situation on the NCL Sea on the 15 day repositioning cruise. If you sign up for one of the time packages on the first day of the cruise there are "perks" (such as additional minutes) and if you're a Latitudes member it's a few more minutes.

They were also running "happy hour" specials on port days where the internet time was half price. This worked fine with or without the package.

I purchased the 250 minute package, used the specials and checked my work email daily. Had time to spare and let my teenager daughter burn it up chatting with her friends!

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

It is scary to think I could burn that much of a hole in my wallet, but my business is Internet based and I need to be online each day to take care of a few items in addition to email...so any other tips to save money is very appreciated.

my bf used the internet almost everyday for his work. When we told the internet person he had already purchased 5 of the $100 blocks of time, the internet guy gave him an additional 150 minutes. So I guess it can't hurt to ask. ;)

my bf used the internet almost everyday for his work. When we told the internet person he had already purchased 5 of the $100 blocks of time, the internet guy gave him an additional 150 minutes. So I guess it can't hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks! It is great to hear that they have the flexibility to take mercy on you at the Cafe.

I found it interesting to learn that the internet cafe staff are not NCL employees. They all work for MTN (Marine Telecommunications Network). Not that it's relevant, mind you, but I think they may have more flexibility in decision making.

I found it interesting to learn that the internet cafe staff are not NCL employees. They all work for MTN (Marine Telecommunications Network). Not that it's relevant, mind you, but I think they may have more flexibility in decision making.

Thanks; I just emailed them directly to see if they had a "super size" access package they could sell me before boarding. I will update this thread when I hear back.

Archived