How early for Zone 1 on Freedom?

KSUSHAQ

First time cruisers here and we have decided to bypass the opportunity to purchase FTFF on our sailing on the Freedom. We figured we would save a few drink dollars instead. We were wondering what time would one reccomending getting to the FLL port in order to get Zone 1 embarkation? Figured we will have a couple of hours wait time at the port but since this is our first cruise I am sure the wait would be worse at the hotel.

I really varies. My goal is for a Zone 2 card. Haven't been able to get a Zone 1. But we haven't had to wait very long for any of our cruises.

Here are my two unusual experiences:

We usually get to the Ports by 10:30-11:00. Once we got there at 10:30 and had to wait outside in line. The doors to the terminal were locked. We had someone who needed a wheel chair which is why we got there at 10:30. I don't know if there was a delay in Customs, we never found out. But we kept asking for a wheel chair. Finally we were told they were still using them to get passengers off the ship.

At 11:30 the doors opened and we went inside. With only a few people ahead of us, we checked in at the counter and was given a Zone 2 card. I was shocked. The gal at the counter explained to us that Zone 1 cards were for VIPs, and wedding parties. Handicaps would go on right after Zone 1 and before they start calling Zone 2. Which did happen. We were on the ship by 11:50.

On our Freedom cruise, out of Ft Lauderdale, in Jan 2013, we got to the Port at 11:00. Very much later than I wanted. Again only a few people in line ahead of us. But while waiting in line we were handed a Zone 7 card! I was really bummed. While checking in at the counter I asked what happened to Zone 2 cards. I was told they had already been given out. This was only 11:00ish. So we proceeded to find a seat, get ourselves comfortable. I pulled out my Kindle to start to read when they started calling Zone 1 people. Knowing we had a long wait, I just decided, we are here, we are going on a cruise, don't let a number bum me out. When all of a sudden they called Zone 2, a few minutes later they called Zone 3. Finally Zone 7. We were on the ship by 11:35! Wow, that surprised me.

While our short wait, I noticed a few people who came in the door after us, were given Zone 1 cards. So they must hold some back.

This is the second time I purchased FTTF. The first time, we were on the Magic out of Galveston and we were one of the many stuck in the oil spill. Long lines to board the ship. We waited 20 minutes in that long line, before I remembered our FTTF. It was so worth having FTTF. We passed everyone up and was on the ship in no time.

This upcoming cruise in January on the Freedom again, I am anxious to see the advantage of having FTTF under normal circumstances. But we will still get there by 11am.

Also, I will add, if you get there too early, you will have a problem getting a taxi to the port because of all the people getting off needing taxis. On one of our cruises we were told by the taxi company they would not guarantee our early pick up. And the one time we got to the port early, it was a mess with Taxis coming out and a few trying to get in. Cars getting in and out of the parking. Shuttle buses trying to get out etc. No to mention no one was available to help with our luggage. The porters were so busy getting people off that ship. One porter told us to wait and not move. We did and in less than 10 minutes, he came back and helped us.

So I won't recommend any time before 10:30.

• 3 weeks later...

Do remember though that just because you are Zone 1 doesn't mean that you will be on the ship by 10:30 or 11. When we cruised on her, we had FTTF and they didn't start boarding until 11:45 that day. We got there around 10:30 and were the first ones in the terminal. By the time they started boarding, the place was packed...SRO.

I have been through both Miami and FLL. I have always gotten to port around 10am. The problem is if you want a Zone 1 boarding you might want to be there earlier. When I was still in the main waiting room, I could get there at 10 and have a number as low as Zone 6 to as high as one in the 20's.

The earlier you are there the lower the number. The line moves fast when they start calling boarding, so a zone number in the 20's could only take 10-15 minutes. I got there one time at around 11am and encountered NO lines at all for security, check in, to getting on board. I was in the door for security and on the ship in under 15 minutes!!!!!

March 8th Freedom to Aruba. We arrived around 9:50 or so, dropped off luggage and parked in the structure next to the ship.

10:19 posted that we were sitting down in zone 1.

11:26 posted that plat and diamond were boarding.

We boarded soon after that. So if you want zone 1, I'd say try to arrive around 10.

And yeah- FLL was very efficient.