Breeze cabin 7376 on smoking side!

doglvr616

I am sorry in advance. I know we are not really supposed to correct people but the port side is the left side of the ship as you face the front regardless of which side is actually on the port side. Although you are correct that is how it got it's name. Port is derived from the practice of sailors mooring ships on the left side at ports in order to prevent the steering oar from being crushed.

I'm not sure what you're saying. It's obvious that the port side is left as you face front. I was telling OP that port would be preferred because most of the time it will face the docked area. Thus good to view the area plus watch for pier runners.

Thank You to everyone for your valuable input! The pictures and video were great!! ( We had initially considered going on the Allure or Oasis instead, but when I saw the price difference, at least for Christmas Week, it was difficult to justify!!) The ship looks spectacular!

I did not realize when I booked that the lanai was going to be exposed beneath me....which I actually love. However, we are booked in Cabin #8374 and it looks like we are pretty close to The Red Frog. From the video it appears this area is glassed in along the side as well, which doesn't help to dissipate anything. I love to spend time sitting on the balcony reading and won't mind a little noise that drifts up my way....just smoke! :cool:

I really like the idea of being on deck 8 mid-ship for convenience and buffering from potential noise above and below. And...I have this thing about being on the port side, but may need to reconsider now. Though I doubt sea days will be an issue, with so few smoking areas available, as another poster mentioned, there could be more than a few people partaking on port days. So...what to do....what to do......

Again...thanks for sharing your experiences and advice.

Diane

What to do? Move! If you will be bothered by smoke 3 decks down, yes, move. And yes, all us smokers stay on board so we can smoke on port days.

It amazes me now that there is no balcony smoking, so now it's how one can be bothered by how many decks down:eek:

I'm not sure what you're saying. It's obvious that the port side is left as you face front. I was telling OP that port would be preferred because most of the time it will face the docked area. Thus good to view the area plus watch for pier runners.

Ships don't always dock port side to the pier. The term may have at one time had some reason for left side docking but not in the modern world.

On one cruise we docked starboard side to every dock, it really depends on the tides, currents and winds and the harbor layout, turning and reversing areas and such as to how a captain docks his vessel.

I was a quartermaster (ships navigator) in the Coast Guard and we did a pre docking briefing for the captain and officers before each port, even our home port. We would make suggestions about which side to tie up to but it really depended at that moment we approached the dock as to what the captain felt was the correct choice. And we sometimes had to change at the last minute.

Is smoking allowed on lanai or the promenade under lanai or both?

Another suggestion is to move high and forward like the spa balcony or low like the cove.

So glad to learn Carnival finally joined the ranks of banning smoking on balconies.

So, how many decks high do you need to be? Again, I apologize we no longer can ruin all those vacations because of the balcony bans. We smokers are over it and have alternate plans, so we really don't care if you guys are glad.

So, how many decks high do you need to be? Again, I apologize we no longer can ruin all those vacations because of the balcony bans. We smokers are over it and have alternate plans, so we really don't care if you guys are glad.

As high as it takes I suppose to have no cigarette, cigar or pipe smoke be anywhere we breath. Its that simple.

These smoking areas have been gone for years... Smoking is banned in all public areas now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have not been to a Tim's in Canada for years, but the idea was a good one at the time and might be a good idea on a ship, a sealed specially vented smoking room or plexiglass bubble room on deck.

Heck even the Hindenburg had a smoking room so constructed...

http://www.airships.net/hindenburg-smoking-room