Hi everyone,

I am very new to cruising and have never been before, my husband booked us on the independence of the seas for a mini cruise on the 25th October 2014 this trip was booked for my 40th birthday and it will be myself, my husband and my two teenage children.

If anyone could give us tips on anything we would be really greatful.

The things I'm really not sure on is:

What to do when we checkin,

Drinks package or not? If so would you have to have the full days you are on the trip?

We are booked in for the 8:30pm dinner will we still be able to get to see the shows? How do we get tickets for the shows?

What clothes would be best to take?

Sorry for all the questions am so excited

Thank you :confused

Regarding online check-in, you provide all of your identification, passport, emergency contact, and online charge account info. Once you do this, your check-in at the cruise terminal takes only about 5 minutes.

Welcome and happy birthday.

Sailing out of Southampton is easy. We normally park in the car park right next to the dock and walk through. It only takes a couple of minutes.

As you are on a 3 night cruise you won't need too much.

First day and last day are casual. Jacket and tie should be as formal as you need to get if you wish to dress.

Seeing as you are in port each day, comfy walking shoes and layers are good. I know the weather is pretty hit and miss this time of the year.

Check in is easy.

If you have a large case just print and attach your luggage tag and drop off on way in. Southampton is set up that if you are using a further away shuttle car park you can drop cases as you enter next to the ship. There are people that give directions as you enter the port area.

As you enter the terminal just have your set sail pass out and passports ready as there will be people on hand that will look at and direct you to the correct check in.

If you do drinks package then yes you need to buy for every day. I normally only get for itineraries that have a few sea days. Port intensive we are not on the ship enough to fully utilize and get value for money from. Windjammer has basic coffee, tea etc as does cafe promenade. Iced water and several other cold offerings are also available like iced lemonade or fruit punch in windjammer.

Shows there are normally two seatings, two accommodate both dinner times.

Only shows that need reservations are ice shows. Look at cruise compass as you board to find out where and when to get. Queues may be long so get there early.

No tickets needed if sailing Grand suite of higher.

Hope that helps:D

Hi everyone,

I am very new to cruising and have never been before, my husband booked us on the independence of the seas for a mini cruise on the 25th October 2014 this trip was booked for my 40th birthday and it will be myself, my husband and my two teenage children.

If anyone could give us tips on anything we would be really greatful.

The things I'm really not sure on is:

What to do when we checkin,

Drinks package or not? If so would you have to have the full days you are on the trip?

We are booked in for the 8:30pm dinner will we still be able to get to see the shows? How do we get tickets for the shows?

What clothes would be best to take?

Sorry for all the questions am so excited

Thank you :confused

Check in - do this online at rcl under your reservation, then when you get to port all you will need is your passport, your set sail pass and the credit card you want to use for your onboard expenses.

Drink Package - I don't know much about the drink packages - I usually purchase the wine and dine which is really purchasing bottles of wine for dinner - maybe someone else you here. I do know that you have to purchase them and it is purchased for your entire cruise. You can not purchase them by day.

8:30 pm dinner - usually there is a show at 7:00 pm which is for this dinner selection and another one at 9:00 pm which is for the 6:00 pm dinner selection, so yes you will get to see the show. No tickets are required for the theatre shows although on the larger ships Oasis and Allure you might need to reserve a show time - for the ice show look in the cruise compass the daily paper and it will tell you how to get the ice show tickets.

Clothes: I take 1 pr of black pants - 1 black skirt and multiple tops to mix and match for the formal and business casual/casual dinners - other than that shorts, swimsuits, t-shirts - your husband maybe a shirt/tie for formal with a jacket - business casual and casual - slack and polo or shirt with or without tie is just fine. Or if you really want to you can go formal with tux for him and a dressy cocktail dress for you. If you like really casual then you can partake of the Windjammer buffet and be very casually dressed for dinner, no swimsuits.

If you need anything else, just ask and someone will answer. Have a great cruise. You know you will be hooked - right. :D