Now we need to pay luggage tags - WOW!

ISABELLA

Always a bummer when things don't go as expected or previously experienced.

We bought the luggage tag holders from cruise critic for our first cruise & have used them since. Really convenient to put them in the pocket & just attach right before you check your luggage at the dock.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

I agree with you that it seems like there are a bunch of extra charges although you can avoid the nickel and dimming for the most part. Some of the cost is just hidden cost of cruising (like gratuities) and other costs are all up to you (shopping, gambling, drinking, eating in specialty restaurants, etc.) I kind of like how people who don't want to do some of these things don't have to pay for them. For example, the cost of cruising would be a lot higher (I'm guessing like $56/day) if all drinks were included :rolleyes:.

All that said, I miss the days when we got documents and tags in the mail and we got to do the traditional "Document Dance". It was a pre-cruise excitement every time that just isn't the same with an auto-email-notification.

All things change and evolve, but I sometimes wonder if anyone working for cruise lines ever goes through the experience. How much could it really cost to send out luggage tags and a small document ($10)?

Still, even with the hidden costs cruising is one of the most cost effective vacations available. I'm glad they've figured out ways to keep the base price low so many people can continue to enjoy it. Where else can someone get a room, entertainment, really great food, and games/etc. for around $80-$150/day. And, you get to be on a ship... score!

Tom

If the shocking WOW factor is high with the luggage tags, wait until you board the ship and see how much cruising is all nickel and diming nowadays!:eek:;)

My luggage is not cloth. It is hard plastic.

I simply print out the luggage tags and cut into nice rectangles and use a 6 inch piece of clear packing tape to affix the tag directly onto my luggage. No chance of it falling off. Very simple, and never need to mess around with porters and filling anything out at the pier.

I just borrow a stapler from the desk of any hotel I am staying in before the cruise. Never had a problem.

Ditto! I was able to do this without a problem (even with a language barrier... charades worked well :D) when I stayed overnight pre-cruise in Barcelona last year. The paper tags are surprisingly "tough" when folded as indicated on the form... little chance of them getting ripped off (IMO).

Melissa

Guest maddycat
Celebrity mailed our tags out last year. Basic balcony cabin.

It's been a few years since we sailed on Celebrity. I'm surprised that they're still mailing luggage tags. That will probably change too.

Simple

Laminate

Punch Hole on both ends

Zip tie

Put on at pier or at hotel if you stay the night before.

Works perfectly and you can carry them in your purse or carryon!

That is what I do, simple and easy. I also type our names on them just to be extra sure they make it to our room ;)

And zip ties are better then twist ties, those can come off easy.

I have them ready to go and put them on before we leave the hotel

Our past cruises we did the "craft project". Printed, folded, and taped the tags at home, then attached them to the bags at the hotel the morning of embarkation.

Optionally, if you're decent with photo editing, you can get something like this: http://www.staples.com/Avery-8665-Clear-Inkjet-Full-Sheet-Shipping-Labels-8-1-2-inch/product_45759?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:45759&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=45759&KPID=45759&kpid=45759&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtvihBRCd8fyrtfHRlJEBEiQAQcubtHNR-irGLEbIxxx32saB69l_cMFQRycIJTxeCEQdJ_caAhk88P8HAQ, set up multiple tags on one sheet, cut, then affix to your luggage. There's 25 sheets in the package. You can put 5 tags on a sheet, so that's 125 tags for <$25. 20 cents a tag!

ISABELLA, seriously I'd get the luggage tag holders that they either sell here on the Cruise Critic store, at Serendipity or at Amazon. Princess hasn't done tags for YEARS, and RCI hasn't for a bit, and i'm guessing eventually Celebrity will follow suit (Celebrity and RCI seem to be making changes to their loyalty, suites and onboard experience kind of neck and neck).

I used to use clear packing tape to "laminate" them. I punched a hole in the bottom and brought zip ties to put thru the holes. I finally just got the tag holders from Serendipity.

May I also suggest you get the LONGER loop length which makes it so much easier to loop onto your luggage.

But on the other hand, ISABELLA, it's inevitable that most of the mainstream lines will go this way, so you might as well be equipped. However, the cruise experience on RCI hasn't disappointed me. In fact my latest RCI experiences have been as good as or better than the SUMMIT cruise where I met the OP.

After being away from the Royal for a few years, decided to sail again. Fill out all info to print my set sail pass and order my luggage tags. Come to find out that now to order luggage tags cost $35, but I was advised that I can print a paper one for free, that can be attached with a tape or staple. Who travels with a staples or a tape? I hope my suite case made it into my cabin with a paper tag.

That is definitely WOW!

been going on for quite a while now. As soon as they announced it, I ordered great plastic luggage tag holders from Serendipitydotcom. They are great. l go to my cruise docs and get to the page with the luggage tag (usually page 17 or 18) and print out my tags. Put my name on them, fold them, put them in the tag holders and attach to my luggage. Seamless and extremely easy.

I would consider Celebrity upscale compared to Royal, even if similar routes are cheaper from time to time. I consider a Carnival/Royal/NCL the mass market lines.

Disney is another beast altogether. For what you pay you should (and do) get tags. Can't fault the experience and service on Disney cruises of course (meaning I'm not complaining).

Celebrity mailed our tags out last year. Basic balcony cabin.

Here is another link her on CC that has the tags for $2.95 each. Not much more for the protective plastic than your tape and they can be reused for multiple cruise and other trips. Also, can be done before you leave so that you just have to attach to your bags. Then, the come off real easy, no need to work at getting them off. I don't see what they big issue is??? Of course IMO.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46

Thanks for the link!

I am sick of messing with the tape and staplers. Price reduced to $9.00 if you purchase 4. I just ordered 8 for $19.00!

This is the arts & crafts project I do for every cruise we go on.

Luggage tag holders courtesy of favors by serendipity.

1nfzisj

Tim

edit: just found out cruise critic doesn't like that website. Start with "favors", make it all one word, and add "dot com/luggage-tags".

Edited by cruisin4kicks

I am sorry for your frustration, but I print out the paper tags and trim them appropriate and put them into my luggage tags and never had an issue! Porters have seen it and been fine with it! My bags have reached my cabins without delay! For me issue resolved!

Not sure how this has been an issue then again I am not a diamond level!

After being away from the Royal for a few years, decided to sail again. Fill out all info to print my set sail pass and order my luggage tags. Come to find out that now to order luggage tags cost $35, but I was advised that I can print a paper one for free, that can be attached with a tape or staple. Who travels with a staples or a tape? I hope my suite case made it into my cabin with a paper tag.

That is definitely WOW!

You can always purchase the wonderfull Cruise Critics Tag Holders :D

ISABELLA, seriously I'd get the luggage tag holders that they either sell here on the Cruise Critic store, at Serendipity or at Amazon. Princess hasn't done tags for YEARS, and RCI hasn't for a bit, and i'm guessing eventually Celebrity will follow suit (Celebrity and RCI seem to be making changes to their loyalty, suites and onboard experience kind of neck and neck).

I used to use clear packing tape to "laminate" them. I punched a hole in the bottom and brought zip ties to put thru the holes. I finally just got the tag holders from Serendipity.

May I also suggest you get the LONGER loop length which makes it so much easier to loop onto your luggage.

But on the other hand, ISABELLA, it's inevitable that most of the mainstream lines will go this way, so you might as well be equipped. However, the cruise experience on RCI hasn't disappointed me. In fact my latest RCI experiences have been as good as or better than the SUMMIT cruise where I met the OP.

So nice to hear form you Sharon.

I didn't think that my simple observation of the change will bring so many comments. I know it is not the end of the world and I am sure I will have a great time. Just, it was strange to me that Celebrity is doing one way and RCI - differently - like I said, I have not sailed on RCI for about 5 years. We will be going on B2B - 10 days on Equinox, following by 5 days on Liberty.

Thank you all for giving your 2 cents.

Agreed!

Just tape em on.They will stay.No need to laminate,put in protective plastic etc.

Thats just way over the top for nothing.After they are folded and thick they wont just pull off easily.You literally have to work at it to get them off

I Agree! They are really thick after you fold them. I put one around the top handle of my suitcase and one on the side handle. Then I place a few pieces of tape at the end of the tags and they hold very well. The luggage is only going from the dock to the cabin. Not far!

Thanks for the link!

I am sick of messing with the tape and staplers. Price reduced to $9.00 if you purchase 4. I just ordered 8 for $19.00!

Super fast delivery and I like that they have the Cruise Critic logo. :cool:

Order here:

Edited by WilsonFamilyNRH

Here is another link her on CC that has the tags for $2.95 each. Not much more for the protective plastic than your tape and they can be reused for multiple cruise and other trips. Also, can be done before you leave so that you just have to attach to your bags. Then, the come off real easy, no need to work at getting them off. I don't see what they big issue is??? Of course IMO.

They came off my bag on first use.

That is definitely WOW!

You can use packing tape to "laminate" them so-to-speak after printing them. If you're staying at a hotel prior to a cruise, they will lend you a stapler. I have done this on all my cruises with Royal and have never had a problem. Cruise Critic sells see-through plastic luggage tags as well. And I have seen see through luggage takes sold at most luggage stores for a couple of dollars.