Ebola Healthcare Worker Quarantined on Cruise Ship

LauraS

It is very interesting that both Belize and Cozumel turned the Carnival Magic away and would not let the ship's other passengers come ashore, and then Carnival takes its time getting back to Galveston. I wonder if Carnival's decision not to return to Galveston early is to give U.S. officials time to decide how the ship's passengers should be debarked, especially in light of the new U.S. Ebola Czar appointed today. Will the U.S. require any health follow-up of the ship's passengers (other than the 2 people that are confined to their cabins)? It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I certainly hope everyone on the ship is healthy.

It is very interesting that both Belize and Cozumel turned the Carnival Magic away and would not let the ship's other passengers come ashore, and then Carnival takes its time getting back to Galveston. I wonder if Carnival's decision not to return to Galveston early is to give U.S. officials time to decide how the ship's passengers should be debarked, especially in light of the new U.S. Ebola Czar appointed today. Will the U.S. require any health follow-up of the ship's passengers (other than the 2 people that are confined to their cabins)? It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I certainly hope everyone on the ship is healthy.

The ship wasn't turned away in Belize. It called on that port as normal, minus at least two passengers.

As has been stated in the article above, and by Carnival, and on the news... the ONLY passengers that weren't allowed to disembark in Belize were the lab supervisor and her travel companion.

By the time they return to Galveston, the 21 day incubation period for the worker that had been IN THE AREA of a specimen will be over, and the point will be moot if she continues to be without any symptoms.

The ship wasn't turned away in Belize. It called on that port as normal, minus at least two passengers.

It was widely reported in the media this morning that no one was allowed to disembark in Belize. One such example:

“We have also have confirmed that the Belize Coast Guard has been deployed to prevent anyone from leaving the ship; including the Belizean pilot on board.”

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/10/17/texas-based-carnival-magic-cruise-ship-stuck-at-sea-with-4633-passengers-and-dallas-healthcare-worker-with-ebola-symptoms-belize-refuses-port-entry-belizeans-saying-sink-ship-armed-belize/

From ABC News:

"The passengers on board were not allowed off in both Belize and Mexico out of fear about Ebola. This is the view from the ship Friday morning off the coast of Mexico."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-scare-creates-utter-panic-caribbean-cruise-ship/story?id=26276019

It was also reported in the media this morning that there have been documented cases where the Ebola incubation period exceeded 21 days. So I guess you can believe what you wish.

Edited by winddawn

The worker isn't quarantined. It is voluntary isolation and there are NO symptoms.

All but two passengers visited Belize as normal.

It is much ado about nothing.

If the CDC recommends additional screenings I'm sure there will be but is unnecessary.

As others are posting that is 100% false as no one was allowed off the ship. And I give Belize full credit for taking this action.

Much ado about nothing is the thinking that will get more people infected than needed.

As others are posting that is 100% false as no one was allowed off the ship. And I give Belize full credit for taking this action.

Much ado about nothing is the thinking that will get more people infected than needed.

The media is 100% false. The guests WERE allowed to disembark and visit Belize save for the two in isolation.

The others and you are wrong.

A Carnival spokeswoman, however, said the ship made its scheduled visit to Belize Thursday. “Passengers were free to disembark there for the day other than the guest and her traveling companion who are in voluntary isolation,” she said.

I have checked the roll call of the Oct 12 Magic cruise and nothing mentioned so far.

But they are posting on the Internet

HooferMom replied on Fri Oct 17, 2014 at 07:07 PM

The ONLY port we missed was Cozumel. When walking around the ship and going to activities, it appears that only about half of the passengers are out and about. Many people are staying in their cabins and ordering room service. I have finally been able to get a chair on Serenity!

The worker isn't quarantined. It is voluntary isolation and there are NO symptoms.

All but two passengers visited Belize as normal.

It is much ado about nothing.

If the CDC recommends additional screenings I'm sure there will be but is unnecessary.

Voluntary isolation? Are you certain of that? Because that would mean the individual who might have been exposed to the Ebola Virus in the lab and her cabin mate are under no obligation to remain in the cabin.

Edited by Salacia

It was widely reported in the media this morning that no one was allowed to disembark in Belize. One such example:

“We have also have confirmed that the Belize Coast Guard has been deployed to prevent anyone from leaving the ship; including the Belizean pilot on board.”

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/10/17/texas-based-carnival-magic-cruise-ship-stuck-at-sea-with-4633-passengers-and-dallas-healthcare-worker-with-ebola-symptoms-belize-refuses-port-entry-belizeans-saying-sink-ship-armed-belize/

From ABC News:

"The passengers on board were not allowed off in both Belize and Mexico out of fear about Ebola. This is the view from the ship Friday morning off the coast of Mexico."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-scare-creates-utter-panic-caribbean-cruise-ship/story?id=26276019

It was also reported in the media this morning that there have been documented cases where the Ebola incubation period exceeded 21 days. So I guess you can believe what you wish.

I would change my news sources immediately. The ones I read and watched never issued this misinformation. Just an assumption, but someone must have misunderstood what a tender port is, heard the ship never docked, and drew an incorrect conclusion.

Or not.