If you were to snorkel in just 1 place???

jkw2765

We will be traveling with my 74 & 75 year old parents in a couple of weeks. They have said they are going to get in the water-not water people-in just one port. I want it to be the best experience it can be for them! This will be their last long trip and only opportunity in this part of the world. You can imagine my surprise when they showed me the snorkeling equipment they had gone out and bought. SO I need help in choosing the place for them to get in the water.

We are traveling to Lifou, Vila, Port Denarau, Suva, Savusavu, Dravuni Island and Noumea. In order of your preference based on your experience, please give me some input. THANKS so much for your time and help!:eek:

We will be traveling with my 74 & 75 year old parents in a couple of weeks. They have said they are going to get in the water-not water people-in just one port. I want it to be the best experience it can be for them! This will be their last long trip and only opportunity in this part of the world. You can imagine my surprise when they showed me the snorkeling equipment they had gone out and bought. SO I need help in choosing the place for them to get in the water.

We are traveling to Lifou, Vila, Port Denarau, Suva, Savusavu, Dravuni Island and Noumea. In order of your preference based on your experience, please give me some input. THANKS so much for your time and help!:eek:

Your parents seem very enthusiastic about their vacation. Here is what my experience was- I hardly ever swim, I know how to, but prefer walking & viewing the water rather than going in. I had the same outlook & took to snorkeling and looked forward to the excursions....LOVED IT!!! In hind site I should have booked more...If they have any physical ailments the water is very soothing.

I cannot recommend a particular snorkel excursion for your itinerary but don't rule out that they will totally enjoy the experience and want to go on several tours. I recommend they each buy an inflatable snorkel vest (Amazon) they will be able to float for hours!

I have only been to one port on your list - Lifou - it has great snorkelling. Not at the main beach but another spot which is short walk up from the wharf. You need to pay $15AUD pp to the locals to snorkel there but there is lots of coral and plenty of fish to see.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you are still looking for advice or not. If you want a tour, we used Aquanature in Nomea and it was FABULOUS!!! aquanature@canl.nc

The boat they use was wonderful, the equipment was great the guides were first rate (they took my reluctant 6 year old and had him sit on one of the guides backs). We saw wonderful fish and tons of turtles. (even a small shark as we were getting back on the boat. This was the highlight of our 15 day cruise! But it is all day. We did 3 50 minute snorkeling sessions. We docked at the lighthouse island and you could bring a lunch or buy it from Aquanature.

If you just want to snorkel from the beach, we were so lucky to see two sea turtles just snorkeling from shore in Lifou. but besides them, not a lot to see.

From your list we swam at Dravuni Island on the 16th Nov, absolutely fabulous , its a tender ride to the pontoon wharf and its straight onto the beach, very safe beach, warm and clear water, lots of fish if you snorkel, take reef shoes, lots of shade under the palm trees