How to Help Someone That is afraid of "the water".

lindabelll

Oh my Gosh that's what I was thinking too. All the hustle and bustle getting there, she'll probably be blowing her whistle through the whole thing out of sheer terror! Don't tell her about rogue waves.

Just Kidding....

She may really like Cozumel, and you just walk off the ship. Tell her she can get a great picture of the ship/s from the shop area.

Have a wonderful time, and please post when you get back about how it went.

Ms B

I was thinking more along the lines of "This is where we need to go and what to do if the ship is SINKING" :eek:

I was thinking more along the lines of "This is where we need to go and what to do if the ship is SINKING" :eek:

I guess I shouldn't like "the picture" should I.....

I shouldn't laugh, but I am...I think it's the only time during the cruise that she'll even be aware of the possibility though.

Once she sees the ship she'll be overwhelmed with the size and all of the activities and people. She won't give the water a second thought. ;)

PAXIL - the great anti-anxiety pill!:)

I'm a fan of anti-anxiety pills and valium or ativan might be great suggestions. Paxil, however, must often be taken for up to two months before reaching it's full effectiveness --- it's not a short-term solution, more for chronic anxiety and depression. An instant result from Paxil would be the placebo effect in action.

About the Muster Drill ...

If you go early to the Muster Drill, your position is all the way against the side of the ship, which might be good for your Aunt. You never see the railing, and there are plenty of people all around who are laughing, joking, blowing on those really dirty whistles that are never washed, etc. :)

If you go later, you're more towards the front, near the railing, which won't be bad, since you're still in port and any water she'll see shouldn't be scary. If she's nervous about the crowds, go later to the drill to avoid the feeling of being "hemmed in" by several rows of people.

And, as suggested earlier, one or two "frou-frou" drinks go a long way toward changing your perspective! ;)

Have a wonderful cruise!

I don't get you guys. My husband has such a fear of heights that he can hardly cross a big bridge in a car, yet he is retired from the USAF, 20+ years, many of which he spent as a flight engineer, logging THOUSANDS of miles between the US and southeast Asia and back.

Joy, I am terrified of heights . . . always have been. Can not drive over the Bay Bridge to the Eastern Shore (tremble when going over any bridge for that matter), will not walk out on to a balcony that is more than one story high and even looking out a window of a high rise apartment building makes my palms sweat. But . . . I was a flight attendant for over twenty years and loved it.

Saw the movie, "High and The Mighty" when I was six years old and all I ever wanted to do was fly. Got my pilot's license in 1964 when I was 17, applied to United Airlines when I was 19 (to be a pilot) . . . of course, in "those days" . . . I was told . . . we don't let "girls" fly our plans but you might want to check down the hall . . . they're interviewing girls to be stewardesses. What can I say . . . they didn't let me fly their planes but they did let me fly "in them" from 1966 to 1987. :D But I'm still afraid of heights!!!! :eek:

ladyc - I loved your story! We had a rather difficult journey across the Bay Bridge ourselves. He wouldn't let me drive, and I was afraid he was going to have a seizure the whole way across while he drove. This is a man who used to sit it in the open doorway of a helicopter with his feet hanging out. Hey - I have plenty of my own phobias -- who am i to judge?:D

ladyc - I loved your story! We had a rather difficult journey across the Bay Bridge ourselves. He wouldn't let me drive, and I was afraid he was going to have a seizure the whole way across while he drove. This is a man who used to sit it in the open doorway of a helicopter with his feet hanging out. Hey - I have plenty of my own phobias -- who am i to judge?:D

Joy, you are too funny! My son is a Coast Guard helicopter pilot at Air Station Miami and he too is not fond of heights!!!! Thank goodness he doesn't have to sit in the open doorway of his helicopter (he lets the rescue swimmers do that). :p

I used to be able to ride over the the Bay Bridge when my former husband drove (my son and I would sit in the back seat with our eyes closed). Now, I can't even do that. Makes me so mad because I love the Eastern Shore.

By the way . . . I graduated from Duquesne Law School in 1999 . . . love Pittsburgh!

About the Muster Drill ...

If you go early to the Muster Drill, your position is all the way against the side of the ship, which might be good for your Aunt..............

If you go later, you're more towards the front, near the railing, which won't be bad, since you're still in port and any water she'll see shouldn't be scary.

Not all muster drills are conducted on the outside decks. I've been to a few that are, but mostly the ones I've gone to are in one of the lounges....so it may not be a problem.

Thanks again, one week from today......yeah!
My DW can't swim so she was petrafied of the water!! When she pulled up to the docks she could not beleave how all that metal stayed afloat!!!! As soon as she got on all fear was GONE!!!! Could not beleave it I kept asking her how she was doing, I think I was more nervious than her.. I love the sea but I wanted her to have a good cruise and good first time!!! To say the least she is hooked and loves to cruise now!!! Look at the monster I created!! Our last cruise she actually jumped into the ocean (on an excursion) to snorkel!!!!!:eek: She can't swim,, she had a life preserver on, but, I was a wreak!!!

Once on the ship magical things happen!!!! :)

Relax don't worry be happy Ja Mon 26_30_2v.gif

Archived