Corkage fee?

MaiTaiMary

I pack my own corkscrew as we usually drink the wine on the balcony. Every now and then that carry's over to dinner and we bring the glasses with us. Sorry I don't have more to add on the actual corkage fee, I'm sure someone will add to the discussion at some point with their experience.

For those of you who have brought your own bottle of wine or champagne into the MDR (that your brought aboard in your carry-on), were you charged a corkage fee?

What about in the steakhouse?

Thanks. :)

Our most recent experience was just last month on the Pride. In Davids Steakhouse, we WERE charged the corkage fee, however no corkage fee all cruise in MDR, i think we went through about 5-6 bottles of wine(small group, we all brought a bottle). However this is what we've experienced on our last half dozens cruises, seems they are pretty firm charging the fee in the steakhouse, but not the MDR.

On our 2 TA's over the last couple of years with a larger groups, we probably went through a few dozen bottles of wine in the MDR and not charged the fee. Some suggest on the TA's, it's a "carry over" from a more relaxed attitude towards alcohol coming from Europe...made sense to us...especially when were able to bring several bottles of wine onboard before and during those TA's, but we also ate in the steakhouses on those TA's, and they charged us each time.

On our most recent cruise we were charged a corkage fee in the MDR. As it was the last night and we weren't going to carry the wine off, we paid it. However, I was surprised to be charged $15, but didn't complain.

As it turns out, $15 is now correct, per the cruise contract.

For those of you who have brought your own bottle of wine or champagne into the MDR (that your brought aboard in your carry-on), were you charged a corkage fee?

The two times I took my wine to the MDR I asked about the corkage fee and was told by the waiter/waitress that as long as the Matre'd didn't say anything, he/she would not charge me. The one time I took a bottle to the Steakhouse, I was charged. MDR charges $10 and the Steakhouse $14.

The two times I took my wine to the MDR I asked about the corkage fee and was told by the waiter/waitress that as long as the Matre'd didn't say anything, he/she would not charge me. The one time I took a bottle to the Steakhouse, I was charged. MDR charges $10 and the Steakhouse $14.

Last time we were charged $14 in the Steakhouse, but it looks like it is now $15 wherever.

In the ticket contract:

" A $15 USD corkage fee per 750ml bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room or in the Steakhouse. "

Enforcement varies by maître d'. Some are lax, some enforce it to the letter.

Keep in mind the corkage fee has nothing to do with the cork and who, what, when, where, or why pops the cork. A corkage fee is charged by a restaurant to patrons bringing their own wines to a meal. The corkage fee is usually minimal and is considered a convenience charge to the restaurant for opening and serving wines from outside their offerings. So yes, technically, if you had a real stickler of the policy, you could be charged a corkage fee for popping the cork in your cabin and bringing a couple glasses to dinner.

I've only been charged once in the past few cruises where we brought wine aboard. This past cruise, the head waiter made a comment on the first night about "he would be applying the corkage fee". I stopped the lighthearted banter, put on a serious look, and softly commented "you've got to be kidding me". We immediately went back to friendly interactions. Lo and behold, no corkage fee was charged.

I don't mind a corkage fee in the cases where they chill the wine for you, or swap the bottle with one of theirs that's already chilled. But, I have a hard time with $15 for simply taking out a cork, especially when it's not charged consistently to everyone that brings on a bottle.

Now we even bring a corkscrew with us. I may just start opening wine in the room before heading down to the MDR form now on. We'll see...

Enforcement varies by maître d'. Some are lax, some enforce it to the letter.

Keep in mind the corkage fee has nothing to do with the cork and who, what, when, where, or why pops the cork. A corkage fee is charged by a restaurant to patrons bringing their own wines to a meal. The corkage fee is usually minimal and is considered a convenience charge to the restaurant for opening and serving wines from outside their offerings. So yes, technically, if you had a real stickler of the policy, you could be charged a corkage fee for popping the cork in your cabin and bringing a couple glasses to dinner.

All correct except for the last sentence. Carnival only charges the corkage fee if you bring a bottle of wine to either the MDR or specialty restaurant. There is no rule on Carnival for charging a corkage fee anywhere else on the ship.

All correct except for the last sentence. Carnival only charges the corkage fee if you bring a bottle of wine to either the MDR or specialty restaurant. There is no rule on Carnival for charging a corkage fee anywhere else on the ship.

I understand, that is why I said opening the bottle in your room and taking a couple of glasses to consume in the MDR or specialty restaurant with dinner. The policy language states "consumed", not bringing a bottle. Hence, a stickler of the policy could charge you the corkage fee for simply bringing into the MDR and consuming a couple of glasses of wine you did not purchase not board. However, Carnival rarely enforces this and goes with bringing a bottle since they really do not have the time to look and see if you purchased those glasses of wine at one of the bars before entering the MDR or specialty restaurant.

"However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $xx corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $xx corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse.

Rarely charged in the MDR, always charged in the Steakhouse.

I too was charged a corking fee in the steakhouse on the Freedom. Can someone explain to me what the purpose of corking fee is if the bottle is already open? What am I missing?

Did you also bring your own steak to the steakhouse?

The fee is for allowing you to bring it in the first place when they have wine to sell you. Carnival allows you to bring a bottle on the ship to be consumed in your stateroom.

Did you also bring your own steak to the steakhouse?

The fee is for allowing you to bring it in the first place when they have wine to sell you. Carnival allows you to bring a bottle on the ship to be consumed in your stateroom.

No smart a$$ I did not bring my own stead!:rolleyes:

I also did not bring the wine on the ship, I ordered it from bon voyage.

No smart a$$ I did not bring my own stead!:rolleyes:

I also did not bring the wine on the ship, I ordered it from bon voyage.

The wine you ordered from bon voyage should not have been charged a corkage fee anywhere on the ship, the corkage fee is to cover the lost profit from you not ordering a bottle from the place, same in any restaurant anywhere, I have seen it be anywhere from $10 to $30 and some upscale places just flat won't let you bring in your own wine. I know that NCL used to or maybe still does let you bring on board all the wine you wanted, you just had to pay them $15 per bottle to do so when you boarded, and then no corkage fee after that.

The wine you ordered from bon voyage should not have been charged a corkage fee anywhere on the ship, the corkage fee is to cover the lost profit from you not ordering a bottle from the place, same in any restaurant anywhere, I have seen it be anywhere from $10 to $30 and some upscale places just flat won't let you bring in your own wine. I know that NCL used to or maybe still does let you bring on board all the wine you wanted, you just had to pay them $15 per bottle to do so when you boarded, and then no corkage fee after that.

Yes, on NCL you can bring as many bottles as you like and you pay the corkage fee before boarding the ship. it is still $15 per 750ml bottle.