Car rentals

Daydaes

We are going to be in Kona, Hilo and Kauai next month. When we get off the cruise ship are there shuttles that will take you to a rental place? Or do we reserve the cars in advance? Last time we did this cruise, we met a great couple on board and they let us share the rental costs. I can't assume it will be the same this time. Do we really need a car at these ports? Are there shuttles or cabs to take us to the beach and or/towns?

If you're going to rent cars, definitely reserve them in advance. Suggest using this company which is often recommended here and is a broker for the major car rental agencies in Hawaii.

Click on the name of the port that you'll be in, then look at the shuttle arrangements beside each brand. By clicking on the brand you'll be directed to the rental agency's website and a discount code will be included.

Cabs are expensive in Hawaii; you'd only want to use one for a short distance, which isn't going to get you to very interesting places. I think there's a shuttle in Kahului that takes you to Hilo Hatties ... not sure about the details though.

Probably the best idea would be to do some more research ... determine what you want to do and see and then work out the best option for getting there. I think it would make a difference in the quality of your vacation.

Edited by Susan-M

We are going to be in Kona, Hilo and Kauai next month. When we get off the cruise ship are there shuttles that will take you to a rental place? Or do we reserve the cars in advance? Last time we did this cruise, we met a great couple on board and they let us share the rental costs. I can't assume it will be the same this time. Do we really need a car at these ports? Are there shuttles or cabs to take us to the beach and or/towns?

Each rental agency has shuttles at the piers to get you to their office, but you are supposed to have a reservation before you get on the shuttle, so reserve in advance.

I think The big island, Hawaii may be the exception to this rule, so do some further research on that. I seem to recall discussion about a rental place at a walking distance hotel which is faster than the outlying airport location. We did not rent a car there as we toured in Hilo with Mary Lou's Tours and in Kona we just took a cab to the meeting place of our tour.

You could sign up on your Roll Call and inquire if someone wants to share a rental, but there are so many things to do, it might be difficult to find someone who would have the same ideas as you. And rentals are so cheap, around $40 or even less a day, not sure it would be worth it for the tiny bit of savings.

In Kauai, you can walk a couple blocks to Kalapaki Beach with shopping and the Mariott with a Dukes restaurant right on the beach. And there are two free shuttles that run pier to that location all day if you don't want to walk. Otherwise you will need a car or tour. The office is 5 min away by shuttle. Kona has good shopping right at the port. In Hilo, you will probably want to see the volcano, so a rental or tour is needed. I don't recall anything near the port you could walk to.

Most attractions in the islands are easily doable on your own with rental car. Less expensive than booking a tour and you can go at your own pace and see what you want to see.

Edited by punkincc