How strict is Celebrity with "Formal Wear"

pepsicruiser

Has Celebrity relaxed its ideas of having to wear formal wear on "formal evenings"? We haven't sailed Celebrity yet so excuse me if it sounds like an odd question. How about dining on formal evenings in specialty restaurants..is formal required in there also. TY

Formal is still Formal on Celebrity. You will find a mix of tux, suits, and sport coats, along with those who just don't give a damn. :rolleyes:

In specialty restaurants, there will also be a mixture of the same, except smart casual is accepted.

You will get a wide range of answers on this and I suggest you check out the sticky thread at the top of the page for more information.

However just to stick to the non-debatable facts:

1. Specialty restaurants are smart-casual and above every night

2. Formal wear is only required in the MDR

3. Shorts are not allowed in any restaurant at night.

Edited by gek

A table next to us was very casual on formal night - as in slacks and Hawaiian shirts - Maitre'D and waiters were their usual friendly selves.

So perhaps it depends on who is running things?

Either way, I figured it means Celebrity is going more "Freestyle" a la NCL on certain things.

A table next to us was very casual on formal night - as in slacks and Hawaiian shirts - Maitre'D and waiters were their usual friendly selves.

So perhaps it depends on who is running things?

Either way, I figured it means Celebrity is going more "Freestyle" a la NCL on certain things.

This is going to be our first Celebrity cruise, and to be honest we are looking forward to the two dress-up nights.

NCL has strict rules for their MDR in the evenings, but as we discovered, it is NOT enforced at all.

One night, we decided to share a table instead of waiting for a table for two.

We were dressed up since it was one of their "dress up or not" nights.

We ended up at a table across from a couple wearing dirty t-shirts and old jeans.

While we understand not everyone dresses up for dinner, we expected at LEAST clean and neat - and adhering to the basic rules for the MDR in the evening.

We hope that folks going on a cruise will pick a cruise to suit their own tastes. If you don't like getting dressed up at all - don't pick a cruise that has two formal nights.

Or, if you do choose that cruise, eat in the buffet for the formal nights so you don't have to get dressed up.

We enjoy dressing up a bit - and are looking forward to a couple of formal nights.

Edited by DinaS

Has Celebrity relaxed its ideas of having to wear formal wear on "formal evenings"? We haven't sailed Celebrity yet so excuse me if it sounds like an odd question. How about dining on formal evenings in specialty restaurants..is formal required in there also. TY

Hi Pepsicruiser,

In case you haven't noticed, we now have one "Sticky" thread dedicated to Dress code discussion. Please repost your question here : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2113872

Thanks very much. This thread is now closed.