Snorkel-Best Place GC or MX

ten1868

Does anyone have an opinon as to where the better snorkel is, we are going to both Grand Cayman and Cozmel in Oct and we are trying to decide where the better snorkel is as we are limited on the number of tours that we can do. Thanks :eek:

Since Cozumel just had a close encounter with a Hurricane (Emily), I'd lean toward snorkeling in Grand Cayman. It is easy enough to do from shore at Eden Rock. It is just a couple of blocks to the right of where the tenders dock.

There are 2 on site dive shops, http://www.edenrockdive.com/ and http://abanksdivers.com.ky/ Either of these places rent gear. Their web sites also give some good information.

We snorkeled at Eden Rock. Very easy to get to and saw some nice fish. The water was a bit rough and choppy, but not terrible. There were a lot of ships in port that day...at least 6, but there were not a lot of people snorkeling there. I've also heard people talk about cemetary beach for some nice snorkeling. I believe it's on the other side of 7 mile beach. We may try that next time.

We did the western itinerary the week of 7/30/05. Snorkeled at Chankanaab in Cozumel and it was unbelievably good - must have seen at least 30 different kinds of fish. Hurricane Emily affected the botanical gardens there, but not the snorkeling.

We snorkeled in Grand Cayman a couple of years ago from a boat excursion and the water was choppy and cloudy - did not see many fish. Of course, it could have been just that day.

Suzan

• 2 weeks later...

Cozumel is very easy to get around in car. I would rent a car from Alamo (which they will probably give you a jeep) for $28 and head to Dzul Ha, which is along the main road two miles south. No luck there I would go 1/2 mile down to Chakkanaab.

Similiar for Grand Cayman I would hop in a taxi, try one spot, and if it's not good hop in another taxi or walk further down the beach.

The key is that shore snorkeling is hit or miss especially after hurricanes, sometimes coral gets broken up and fish move away, other times debris is washed near shore and fish show up. Also, it can depend on the time of day.

L.A.S.T.

Archived