Tipping

elaine61

My family and I recently returned from a wonderful cruise on the QE2. We also tipped extra to some crew on top of the automatic gratuity as a special thank you, and had the impression this is the norm?

We did not cancel the automatic gratuities partly because we had heard, as has already been pointed out here, that part of these go to back of house staff such as dishwashers, cleaners, etc, and also (and especially so IMO) those staff who work exclusively in the Lido and other areas where tipping is unusual even they work as hard as those in the main restaurants.

Then what's the point of mentioning it on this board? It has no impact on the tipping policy.:confused:

The point should be clear, if we tip only the guys at the front of the line, the ones who serve us directly, this leaves all the rest unrewarded. Applies on cruise ships and many other locations ashore.

The comment was about tipping generally which sems to be one of the most illogical practices known to man. Like why don't we tip the air stewardess.

David.

Elaine - One other little novelty you will see on Cunard is on the bar bill. You may have opted to pay the $11 per day on your account. When you buy a drink from the bar you will pay an additional 15% and there will be a space on your chit for you to add extra again.

David.

Hi

I am really new to and not sailing till next year, this tipping idea is a driving me mad, I am used to tipping 15% for meals ect, and I dont mind that amount added to my bill each time, I also dont mind the daily tip added to my bill, if all the unseen people get something, i am 100% sure they all add the the smooth running of the ship, and I will give my steward, waiter if good something extra.

I am unsure about tipping cash for say rinks etc on top of the 15% aded and the daily charge.

how many do or dont tip this cash extra, im told 1$ on top when getting drinks etc

There is an interesting article in the Trendwatch area of the Features section of Cruise Critic regarding tipping on cruise ships. The author who is a veteran cruiser explains the difference between a service charge and a tip to recognize good service.

We found the information helpful in preparing for our last trip.

moonshine1 - Everyone has their own way of dealing with the tipping maze, and I think some pax do add extra above the 15% for drinks, though I guess they are in the minority. Personally I think 15% is over the top anyway and in the UK the norm is 10%. And that tends not to be automatically added.

We were dining in Venice a couple of years ago and when the bill came it had an added 17.5% and a box at the bottom, in English, saying " please add tip here" I wanted to write two words on it, the second beginning with O but "She who must be obeyed" would not let me so I just drew a line through it.

David.

Well it's still a minefield!!!!! I don't doubt that there are lots of people behind the scenes who benefit from the Cunard tipping system. Still don't know what my hubby will do about the tips, whether he will have them removed and we will settle directly or wether he will just leave them as they are and let Cunard sort it out!! Just for convenience I would go for the easy option and let it get put on the account.

Elaine

We were dining in Venice a couple of years ago and when the bill came it had an added 17.5% and a box at the bottom, in English, saying " please add tip here"

David.

17.5% on the bottom of the bill if it were in the UK would be VAT - Value Added Tax - a bit like State Sales Tax. I wonder if maybe this might have been the case in Venice too?

My family and I recently returned from a wonderful cruise on the QE2. We also tipped extra to some crew on top of the automatic gratuity as a special thank you, and had the impression this is the norm?

We did not cancel the automatic gratuities partly because we had heard, as has already been pointed out here, that part of these go to back of house staff such as dishwashers, cleaners, etc, and also (and especially so IMO) those staff who work exclusively in the Lido and other areas where tipping is unusual even they work as hard as those in the main restaurants.

:confused: Can you tell me where you "heard" that dishwashers get a piece of the tip that you give? I've worked in restaurants, and dishwashers and kitchen help do not get part of the tips from the diners! If you're referring to a previous quote on here, I think that they made an assumptive statement not a statement based on fact.

Venice (as Mufi says - rip of capital of Europe). To add 17.5% service charge - making it look like a tax (to some). Apart from 17.5% being on the rather high side for 'service', to nickle and dime by making it a 'point five percent' is asking for criticism!!!

And, by puting the words 'Add tip here' insinuating that you almost 'Have to'.

In the extreme, you could order (say) two beers at E3.00 each.

Total E6.00? Not for long.

Sales tax 20.00% add another E1.20

Service 17.5% (on tax?!?!?) E1.26

Total on Bill: E8.46

Add tip here --->>> (you give 10%) E0.84

Grand total E9.30

And then you leave a E10.00 note/bill as you can't be bothered with the change.

Bingo - from 6 to 10.

:confused: Can you tell me where you "heard" that dishwashers get a piece of the tip that you give? I've worked in restaurants, and dishwashers and kitchen help do not get part of the tips from the diners! If you're referring to a previous quote on here, I think that they made an assumptive statement not a statement based on fact.

In fact we don't know if any of the tipping charge is distributed to anyone, and the practices in an on shore restaurant do not have any bearing on the system on a cruise ship. Most passengers assume that the tips they pay go to all the crew and not just selected personel, but without confirmation from Cunard we do not have any idea what happens to them.

David.

In fact we don't know if any of the tipping charge is distributed to anyone, and the practices in an on shore restaurant do not have any bearing on the system on a cruise ship. Most passengers assume that the tips they pay go to all the crew and not just selected personel, but without confirmation from Cunard we do not have any idea what happens to them.

David.

The Cunard brochure states:

During your cruise you will meet many members of our staff in a variety of locations as they provide you with excellent service. Addittionally, many more crew behind the scenes support those who serve you directly. For your convenience, a hotel and dining charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis.....The Hotel and Dining charge will be shared amongst those staff that helped provide and support your cruise experience, including the waiter staff, stateroom stewards, and accommodation staff, buffet stewards and others.

Peter

David,

Would you expect a breakdown? - 0.5% to Cruise Director. 0.25% Asst cruise Director & so on........it would be a very long & tedious list.

It says two things very clearly: 'staff' i.e. not 'crew' or 'deck', and 'helped provide and support your cruise experience'......which sounds like all of the hotel staff to me - and if there are hotel staff are not 'helping provide and support...' I don't know what they are doing there......

Peter

Although partly yes, I was referring to comments mentioned here, for the most part I am actually going by what other passengers had to say whilst we were on the cruise, and also a crew member on board who confirmed part of the auto tips go to Lido staff, etc. I would be very surprised if this isn't how the system works...

Although partly yes, I was referring to comments mentioned here, for the most part I am actually going by what other passengers had to say whilst we were on the cruise, and also a crew member on board who confirmed part of the auto tips go to Lido staff, etc. I would be very surprised if this isn't how the system works...

:( I'd be really surprised if this is how the system works. I can't imagine the sewer guys, laundry staff, etc. will get a cut. I think that the staff might say that if pressed to appease the guest. They could say this because they know that this is what the guest wants to hear! Quite often the tipping policy is one that the staff is told not to discuss. If they say that everyone on the ship gets a cut, it makes the guest happy! They want to keep their jobs.

David.

I think we need to clarify what "staff" we are speaking of on the ship. Tips are tips whether on sea or land! I think that the staff will say what they think the guest wants to hear when they tell us that everyone on the ship get the tips. $11 a day is no great amount of money for the wait staff to receive if it covers all the meals and the room stewards, etc. Don't forget, the waitstaff, room stewards, etc. are way up in the chain. I'm sure the maitre 'd receives a healthy cut of it. That's why other employees aspire to be a waitstaff person, room steward, etc. - tips, tips, tips! I'm saying that the sewer people, dishwashers and similar categories are not going to receive tips!

Archived