scooter rental at pier

aprilsp88

Hi,

We're considering renting a scooter to ride around the island if weather is good.

Is it easy to rent a scooter in any of the Tahiti pier, such as Papeete, Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, Rangiroa?

Can scooter sit 2 people?

Thanks,

April

I was afraid you would ask this question. If I were your mother, I would strongly advise you to rent a car, not a two wheeled vehicle. ;) Google 'scooter rental'.

On Moorea, Albert rents small cars and scooters. Make a reservation beforehand. Last time I was there, there was no rental station at the ferry terminal.

http://www.albert-transport.net/location_vehicule_moorea_us.php?nx=LOC

Do NOT rent a scooter, especially not on Tahiti which is a very large island with lots of traffic. Moorea is also exceedingly dangerous and has increasing volumes of traffic which love to force scooterists into the deep roadside gulleys for an early death. Rangiroa is probably OK except there's nowhere to go.

Automatics are widely available on Tahiti, less so on Moorea but they are available.

I have no real information for you on the other islands. We had a combined bus/lagoon tour on Huahine. We stayed in 'town' on Raiatea. It's right at the dock. I like poking around in the local stores to see what the locals shop for. We had a motu tour on Bora Bora. We walked to the beach on Rangiroa.

Important: wear water shoes! (firmly attached to your feet!) The sand is mostly sharp coral.

I wouldn't rent a scooter. It's not just the traffic. roads in some places are just patches of ground up coral they use to repair damage. Rounding a corner into a pothole or one of those repairs can easily lead to a crash and shorten your vacation considerably.