Xmas/New Years timeframe on Fantasia...

Evilmuffin

This will be our 5th cruise, 3rd with MSC, but first time during "winter season". We depart from Genoa on 27 Dec and return 7 Jan. Ports are Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Portugal. Just wondering if anyone has ever sailed this area during this time Frame. How cold will it be? Too cold for the outside pools and hottubs? Is the Yacht Club outdoors area open after it is dark? And did you find there was alot of children? I believe School is back in before we are back for disembarkation.

Any hints or tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This will be our 5th cruise, 3rd with MSC, but first time during "winter season". We depart from Genoa on 27 Dec and return 7 Jan. Ports are Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Portugal. Just wondering if anyone has ever sailed this area during this time Frame. How cold will it be? Too cold for the outside pools and hottubs? Is the Yacht Club outdoors area open after it is dark? And did you find there was alot of children? I believe School is back in before we are back for disembarkation.

Any hints or tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know about weather , but for sure you gonna have lots and lots of kids :rolleyes:

Don't know about weather , but for sure you gonna have lots and lots of kids :rolleyes:

The guy at MSC who I did the booking with said that he thought that because School started Prior to our return, there would be less children. Wish MSC would do Adult only Cruises. :mad:

My second cruise with MSc departed on 27th December out of Genoa as part so a repo to Fort Lauderdale. It was snowing and bitterly cold in Northern Italy the day we arrived. It was stormy the forts night with waves bashing against our balcony door on deck 10. By the time we reached Monte Carlo the next day it was much nicer, sunny, around 15-17. We were wandering around with tshirts and cardigans and no coats needed. by Valencia it was even nicer, no cardigans required. The highlight was New Year's Eve in Funchal. I thought I'd need a jacket or at least a wrap over my sleeveless evening dress for the pool party that evening but it was not required at all. I'd packed for a week's cold weather, week not in the Caribbean and a week in between. I only needed the warm clothes for 2 days and had to use the ships laundry as I kept running out of shorts and tshirts. I guess it will be different for you as you'll be heading back to Genoa but may well get some nice days especially in the more Southern ports.

LOL for NY cruise less kids ? i wish )))

You'd be surprised. NY is not a big thing in some parts of the UK, only Jan 1st is a holiday. Scottish schools go back later than they do elsewhere. However, there won't be huge amounts of Brits on a NYC cruise out of Genoa. I'd check school holidays in Italy and Spain to see if what the guy at MSC is saying is true or not.

It is likely to have less kids than Christmas for sure. Suspect the NYC cruises with earlier return dates may have more school age kids.

Spanish kids have holidays until the 6th at least, since that day is a bank holiday in Spain. So they all begin on the 7th, and it does not matter too much to miss the first day of school after a long holiday period since it's usually a quiet day.