Feeling nickled and dimed - Carnival Inspiration

skierrob

Only on ships without a steakhouse for the Steakhouse experience

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

The $20 steakhouse entree is also on ships with a steakhouse. At least it was on the Miracle a week ago.

Several years ago this was an option only on ships w/o the steakhouse.

This is certainly a generic statement:eek: How will the "cruise operator" impact you?

Anything from service failures, to non-functioning basic hotel accommodations to even... dare I reference... experiences similar to the Costa Concordia.

With the exception of Cruise Critic members, some people are upset when things don't live up to their expectations.

Edited by Disconnections

The last ship I was on that lost all power was the Grand Princess, albeit temporarily. Then the rest of the cruise with a couple of generators broken and cruising slow. Should have seen the angry people line at the Purser's desk. Almost everyone started out with, "Do you know how much I paid for this cruise?" :D

The last ship I was on that lost all power was the Grand Princess, albeit temporarily. Then the rest of the cruise with a couple of generators broken and cruising slow. Should have seen the angry people line at the Purser's desk. Almost everyone started out with, "Do you know how much I paid for this cruise?" :D

Sounds like a weird opening statement. Perhaps there weren't many Platinum or Elite members?

Anyway, I'm sure the cruise operator (Princess) in your example impacted the experience of others. Imagine someone who requires the use of a CPAP machine or other medical aids that need to be connected to A/C power. Do you think their cruise could have been impacted?

Edited by Disconnections

Sounds like a weird opening statement. Perhaps there weren't many Platinum or Elite members?

Anyway, I'm sure the cruise operator (Princess) in your example impacted the experience of others. Imagine someone who requires the use of a CPAP machine or other medical aids that need to be connected to A/C power. Do you think their cruise could have been impacted?

The cruise operator had no impact on my cruise. The generators did.

Yes, if you had purchase cruise air through they would rebook you but if not, you were on your own, although they did provide free phone calls. We drove, so who cares?

I think our compensation was something like $50pp OBC on a future cruise? Merry Christmas. :)

yes somethings may impact the cruise but for the most part the things I see people complaining about are petty little things. I understand where you're coming from with certain things such as CPAP machines and mechincal stuff and those need to be addressed. We had a wonderful time on our last cruise with the exception of the dinning staff one night but we didn't let that impact our cruise experience.

The cruise operator had no impact on my cruise. The generators did.

Yes, if you had purchase cruise air through they would rebook you but if not, you were on your own, although they did provide free phone calls. We drove, so who cares?

I think our compensation was something like $50pp OBC on a future cruise? Merry Christmas. :)

Those generators that impacted your cruise were provided by the cruise operator, Princess. Therefore, your cruise was impacted by a mechanical failure that Princess was to blame for. Preventative maintenance and replacing old hardware goes a long way.

Edited by Disconnections

Those generators that impacted your cruise were provided by the cruise operator, Princess. Therefore, your cruise was impacted by a mechanical failure that Princess was to blame for. Preventative maintenance and replacing old hardware goes a long way.

I wasn't aware that you were the chief engineer on the ship and had that kind of insight.

Ship happens. I have no information that the cruise operator did or didn't do anything to directly cause the generators to fail. The cruise operator is innocent. The eternal pessimist will of course, disagree.

It was another successful cruise like all the rest. They always are. :)

I agree that the up charge in the MDR is ridiculous. I will not be paying it because I refuse to order it. There are some things that should just be and quality food in the MDR all the time is one of those things. Especially when I purposely choose a ship without the steakhouse.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I wasn't aware that you were the chief engineer on the ship and had that kind of insight.

Ship happens. I have no information that the cruise operator did or didn't do anything to directly cause the generators to fail. The cruise operator is innocent. The eternal pessimist will of course, disagree.

It was another successful cruise like all the rest. They always are. :)

Any cruise that brings you back to the dock alive is a successful cruise. Doesn't mean it was a good one.

I agree that the up charge in the MDR is ridiculous. I will not be paying it because I refuse to order it. There are some things that should just be and quality food in the MDR all the time is one of those things. Especially when I purposely choose a ship without the steakhouse.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

That is your opinion and choice and is fine. The included food in the MDR is quality food. The few available extra charge steakhouse selections are strictly optional - just an extra choice. So far, I have tried two of the selections and have not been disappointed, so can speak from some experience.

Are they worth the extra money? That is also subjective. All I know is that while I won't be ordering one of the limited selections every night, I will be ordering occasionally. Especially since two (or I suppose more) people can split without extra charge, as well as order whatever they like from the regular menus.

That is your opinion and choice and is fine. The included food in the MDR is quality food.

Do you consider restaurants such as Applebee's, Chili's and Friday's to serve high quality food? What about Sizzler or Steak and Shake?

Edited by Disconnections

Any cruise that brings you back to the dock alive is a successful cruise. Doesn't mean it was a good one.

I think any day you wake up is a good one, no cruise required, but that's just my opinion.

Personally I think death by cruise would be a good one. Many people die enjoying life. I think most do not.

In general, I like optional expenses that result in lower baseline cruise prices. I'm fine with separate up-charge restaurants because I don't have to even see their menu...and the pasta place serves a great free lunch. However, up-charge food items on the regular menu in the MDR are the one thing I don't like. One of the great joys of cruising is choosing whatever foods I want from a restaurant menu without price being a consideration. I'd rather not see that if I wasn't cruising on a budget I could have a better steak.

That said, I have never had any complaints about MDR food, including the flat iron steak. My husband hates "fancy foods" and anything with any spice hurts my sensitive-taste-buds tongue, so the MDR perfectly meets our needs. Yes, for our family and for the vast majority of our suburban neighbors, all those uncool chain restaurants do offer quality food. And on a cruise we get appetizers and desserts! :D We're the type of people Carnival appeals to. I realize it's not for everyone.

Edited by KatieCharlotte