Nov. 11 Public Holiday

tennisbets

Apparently the day we are in port is St. Martin's Day which is a public holiday. I know that shops will be closed. We'd like to go to Mullet Beach. I'm guessing buses won't be available, but will taxis still be plentiful? I know this beach is a fair distance from port, will festivities (parades etc...) be an issue with traffic? Will the beach likely be packed with locals? Just wondering how much our visit will be impacted.......would love to hear from anyone who lives there or has visited on this day in previous years..........thanks!

Yikes!! We will be docked on the same day, Nov 11th.. I guess I'm going to follow this as well, I wonder though if all the shops will be closed? I have heard that the island really depends on the tourists and think being closed on a day when 4 ships are in port would really hurt them financially? How important is this holiday there I wonder..

Sorry for the late response.

It's a Holiday and many shops will be closed, but all of the shops at the Cruise Facility will be open.

St. Maarten's Day may even be just an Official 'Public Holiday' where business can stay open if they pay overtime.

I think buses will run, and certainly taxis.

There will be festivities, including some right there on Great Bay Beach which sound like something I would join in with, and there will be an 'Around the Island' run, that will disrupt traffic for a while, but the two sides of the island switch sides for the major celebration, and this year the big parade will be on the French Side.

There is a big push on island for allowing ALL business to be open on this and other 'holidays'.

gary