Price Drop -Carnival wont help

nm951

we booked about 2 weeks ago and chose the option where you save $ and let Carnival choose your room. 3 of us got a guarenteed OV for $135 for the 1st 2 and $99 for the 3rd. The other Booking was 2 guaranteed INT for $125 each. We got our rooms assigned yesterday and we are on deck 7 Empress.

Today those same gaurenteed rooms are $100 for the guarenteed OV and $93 for the gaurenteed INT.

I called my PVP and after speaking with her manager she couldnt do anything. She told me to call customer service. I did and the only thing they could do for me is for and additonal $20 per stateroom , the can offer me $50 OBC and drop us down to deck 4 Riveria. This doesnt make sense to me. Why would I have to pay additional when the rooms are cheaper right now???

In case you don't know it, Carnival has different types of rates. The ONLY rate where you get to match prices AFTER final payment is Early Saver. This is where you book at least a few months before sailing and pick your own room.

You booked a rate that does not allow you to get anything back if prices drop. You can, in some cases, upgrade if a room category above yours drops below the rate you paid.

Otherwise you get what you bought. Think about it like if you buy a shirt at Sears and 3 weeks later it goes on sale. Would you expect them to help you and refund the difference? Sorry, thats the way it is.

I completely understand your frustration. During the Halloween sale, other people going on our cruise were posting about getting pretty significant OBC's. One of the cabins I booked dropped over $300 with the sale. I called Carnival and was told we were not eligible. I called my PVP the next day and talked with her. She doubled checked for me, and confirmed we were not eligible. She said she could upgrade the cabin from interior to ocean view. Great. Then when she tried to do it, the system rejected it. She went and checked with someone and they told her, it was not allowed.

I just made a note to pay more attention to the exact policy of the fare I book next time. The reality is, I thought the fare I paid was fair when I booked it.

There are a lot of different rates, each with different rules for price reductions and upgrades.

Here is a page that explains many of the different rate types, to give you an idea.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

Try to put behind you until you book next time.

Enjoy your vacation.

Edited by Domino D

Domino D that was very kind of you to post the link to the different rates. Hopefully some folks will take the time to read it. However after reading these boards for a few years it amazes me how people will plunk down their hard earned cash and have no idea what they agreed to.

Carnival is so difficult to deal with on price drops...I having trouble even though it isn't time yet for final payment. I am so disgusted with them..

I disagree. I've never had an issue when dealing with price drops. I think the problem is the amount of people that do not understand the rules that accompany the fare they booked.

I disagree. I've never had an issue when dealing with price drops. I think the problem is the amount of people that do not understand the rules that accompany the fare they booked.

Another like. I've never had a price drop rejected. You need to understand what you booked, and what drop you're asking for.

Blue ribbon for this one! Travelers need to be savvy and aware of what they are agreeing to. We sail in a month and I just got some OBC because I booked Early Saver. You take a chance in having a penalty if you cancel, but for us, it has been worth it.

Just because you find a lower price does not mean you qualify for it. CCL is easy to deal with for people who understand how price drops work.

Go Jeff Gordon

People are making random statements without knowing any facts other than they booked something 2 weeks ago;) Is it the November one on their list or another one? If it's that one, then it's paid in full and not ES, that's why no reduction.

People are making random statements without knowing any facts other than they booked something 2 weeks ago;) Is it the November one on their list or another one? If it's that one, then it's paid in full and not ES, that's why no reduction.

Absolutely, people want to ask questions without giving full details, and others want to answer without knowing the full details.

Go Jeff Gordon

Exactly. I've never had a problem either since I don't waste time asking for what I know I don't deserve.

The OP stated they booked the GTY cabins in the Halloween sale. So with that, they are not eligible for price drops if they are after the final payment date.

Although I agree with you, they did not state the Halloween sale. And we do not know which cruise they are talking about, so we do not know if they are past final payment or not. All info is not available. If it's the November cruise, then yes, not eligible.

Go Jeff Gordon

Another, I booked one rate that didn't allow price drops and now carnival is bad since they won't give me the price drop threads. Read the terms of your fare and know what your are booking before complaining.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Would you spend time complaining to an airline if you bought a ticket this week and the price drops next week? The answer is "no". The price you pay today is the price you pay. There isn't any future negotiation with the airlines.

Unfortunately the cruise lines have created their own monster by offering different fare codes (sale prices, military rates, resident rates, early saver, past guest, friends and family, etc.). Some allow for price protection, most do not. It is extremely important that you understand which fare code you are being booked into whether it be from a PVP, a TA, or making the reservation yourself.

Cruise Critic provides a tremendous amount of valuable information. However, people read all the time about being able to receive price drops, OBC and cabin upgrades and simply assume that it will apply to their reservation. This simply isn't the case. Everyone should do their homework before making a reservation (especially at the time of final payment). Carnival, like many companies, offers "teaser" rates to draw attention to their company. Just like the vast majority of people do not purchase the car at the price advertised in the newspaper (a budget basement priced car without the features most people would want / need) the same holds true for buying a cruise vacation.

Caveat Emptor.

Although I agree that OP may not be eligible for any price drops because of the fare that they purchased, I don't blame them for not knowing this. More often than not, the rules are buried in the fine print. And booking through an agent (whether directly with Carnival or a travel agency) doesn't guarantee that that agent will take the time to inform the customer what the rules are before they put a credit card down.

Many of us that frequent Cruise Critic are a bit more savvy about the different rates, categories and the fine print that goes with each. But the vast majority of the cruising public has NO clue. Carnival has so many rates, sales and promotions that even my PVP can't keep track of which is which, and he's been there 10 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Would you spend time complaining to an airline if you bought a ticket this week and the price drops next week? The answer is "no". The price you pay today is the price you pay. There isn't any future negotiation with the airlines.

Actually the answer should be yes, depending on the airline. Some airlines will give you a credit for the fare difference if prices drop. Not a refund, but a credit that you can apply towards a future flight within the year.

So, there are different rates, and the rules vary from one airline to the other, just like with the cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app