What voltage is it aboard jewel?

alfies_my_baby

Yes two pronged, round pin, 110volt ac was the answer I got when Iasked

So my brittish straightners wont work .........aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhh.

Ive U.S ones but the two prongs are straight??!! Wont I be able to use either?......... I'll be a frizz head all holiday? NOT attractive! :mad:

Go and buy an adapter, its what I did. Cost around £5 to £7 depending how fancy they are. I bought mine at Boots the Chemist and I know that they are widely available. (Argos, Woolworths and other shops have them, if you can't find them, the staff will point you in right direction)

Old Gadge, it is the typical US outlet [one round pin with the 2 straight pins], 110v. There is only one outlet too. This can cause a problem if you are like me and need a battery charger for the camera, laptop to download the photos, the hair tongs etc. But I have a US 4 strip extension, the most useful thing I think I have ever bought for cruising. No need to take a hair dryer, the incabin one is good.

Old Gadge, it is the typical US outlet [one round pin with the 2 straight pins], 110v. There is only one outlet too. This can cause a problem if you are like me and need a battery charger for the camera, laptop to download the photos, the hair tongs etc. But I have a US 4 strip extension, the most useful thing I think I have ever bought for cruising. No need to take a hair dryer, the incabin one is good.

I had 4 outlets plus internet in my deck 8 cabin. Granted they needed hunting down...one where the kettle is stored, one on the dressing table (not the one with hairdryer on), one with the TV plugged into and one under the TV shelf next to the internet plug.

I meant to say one outlet on the dresser for general use. The TV & kettle plugs are for them and would be awkward for using for other things. I didn't notice the internet bit, though it would have been somewhere, I wasn't bothered with that:)

One dresser plug is mighty stingy. I did try and find a 240 outlet, didn't fine one, but neither did I spend too long looking. I recall on Dawn the hoovers were run off 240v from plugs out in the hallway, perhaps the same on Jewel and Alfies mb could stand out there straightening the hair... LOL.. odd really as a lot of ships have both types of outlets for use. The best are those with 2 of each euro & US on the dresser. People are going to use elec and stringing everything into one outlet isn't good, but not a problem.

I do like the NCL tea/coffee facilities, wish more lines would take the hint. Only P&O, I can think of offhand. Although I do prefer the cappuccino machines in the garden Cafe, it's nice to have in cabin facilities when 'undressed'.

This one is in Argos, its at the higher end of the range, but they do have cheaper versions...

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3801&productId=153192&clickfrom=image

Does this act as a current convertor then so my 240 v devices will work too?

Sorry if thats a silly question!! :confused:

Does this act as a current convertor then so my 240 v devices will work too?

Sorry if thats a silly question!! :confused:

Yes, you plug the adapter into the plug onship and your appliance into what is a normal 240v plug hole at the other end of the adapter, the adapter changes the current itself. There are full instructions inside the box that the adapter comes in. :)

If unsure the staff will explain it to you and when you get it home you can get used to using it, its very simple to use and each section works all over the world, not just on ships. Its a brilliant little device.

I meant to say one outlet on the dresser for general use. The TV & kettle plugs are for them and would be awkward for using for other things. I didn't notice the internet bit, though it would have been somewhere, I wasn't bothered with that:)

One dresser plug is mighty stingy. I did try and find a 240 outlet, didn't fine one, but neither did I spend too long looking. I recall on Dawn the hoovers were run off 240v from plugs out in the hallway, perhaps the same on Jewel and Alfies mb could stand out there straightening the hair... LOL.. odd really as a lot of ships have both types of outlets for use. The best are those with 2 of each euro & US on the dresser. People are going to use elec and stringing everything into one outlet isn't good, but not a problem.

I do like the NCL tea/coffee facilities, wish more lines would take the hint. Only P&O, I can think of offhand. Although I do prefer the cappuccino machines in the garden Cafe, it's nice to have in cabin facilities when 'undressed'.

I actually unplugged the kettle from its shelf and used the dresser outlet for that, put my phone charger via adapter on the original kettle outlet and had the one under the TV for the alarm clock to make sure I got up early on the disembarkation day.

Yes, you plug the adapter into the plug onship and your appliance into what is a normal 240v plug hole at the other end of the adapter, the adapter changes the current itself. There are full instructions inside the box that the adapter comes in. :)

If unsure the staff will explain it to you and when you get it home you can get used to using it, its very simple to use and each section works all over the world, not just on ships. Its a brilliant little device.

Thanx for that Gold, i've ordered one!

No frizz thank goodness!!! :D

Thanx for that Gold, i've ordered one!

No frizz thank goodness!!! :D

Excellent, I have had two of them for years and they are brilliant IMO, very easy to use and tiny to pack too. One of the few indispensible items I have found. :)

Thanks for the advice. My daughter is going to Canada next Saturday to study ay Laval university in Quebec City and she cannot survive without her hair straighteners. She was going to buy a pair out there but this adaptor from Argos should solve the problem.

We are going on the Jewel 21st Oct and afterwards travelling to Canada to meet her. I have just bought an adaptor (not a voltage converter) and it has 2 flat pins for US/Canada. Are you saying that I will need a different adaptor for the Jewel. What about hotels in NY/Canada? Sorry I'm a bit confused as I'm sure I used a 2 flat pin adaptor when I was last in NY.

Elaine

Thanks I'll go out and buy an adaptor from Argos.

We had no problem on NCL Wind using 2 pin straight but I guess Jewel is different for some reason. Do wish they would tell you what type of pins they use on each ship. It's so confusing.

Elaine

Thanks I'll go out and buy an adaptor from Argos.

We had no problem on NCL Wind using 2 pin straight but I guess Jewel is different for some reason. Do wish they would tell you what type of pins they use on each ship. It's so confusing.

Elaine

You can get the adapters in many shops/chemists such as Boots and Woolworths.

I agree that a little bit of uniformity would be very useful. The adapter from Argos and other shops has several combinations that can be used according to the different systems in use where you are staying abroad/on ship.

When we travelled on the Dawn last week, I was most impressed to find an British type plug socket at 220volts, at the base of the mirror on the Dressing table. This was in a balcony cabin but I assume they were all the same.

My first reaction was to assume that they are fitted to all subsequent ships and I must ask Goldryder if they had them on the Jewel.

I always carry separate adapters for continental and US plugs as ships often have both in the cabins.

I always take a power strip as plugs are often fitted at tabletop level making it impossible to fit chargers which are bigger than the plug and hang below the surface. Using a multiblock allows several chargers to be used at the same time.

1891586233_Resizeofplugs.jpg.e0726575ea0b07b2ba881574dc5e9a73.jpg

You'll notice in North America that many buildings built before 1970or so have only two flat prongs without the round prong underneath. Every building built after 1970 or so has the two flat prongs and the round prong underneath. While many household appliances come with the three prongs, many electrical items today still have only the two flat prongs. Just plug them in and forget about the round prong.....

You would think someone would have standardized these plugs worldwide. But each country did what was best for them when the electric age started a long time ago.... These adapters come in handy.... but watch the current and the wattage, especially for Americans going to Europe....and Asia....

Archived