Charo - Cuchi-Cuchi on the Regal Princess

SassyLeslie

DH and I are are on the Regal Princess inaugural Caribbean Nov 6th sailing. It has been an awesome trip. With the cast of the original Love Boat sailing with us, the wonderful weather, this exquisite and elegant ship, last night we were graced with a performance by Charo! WOW, she did not disappoint. Passion, energy, laughter and just pure fun is how I would describe her performance. She is a true STAR! I dele like I have come full circle, watching The Love Boat as a teenager and now sailing on her newest ship, watching one of it's greatest stars. Thank you Princess, you did not disappoint once again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I are are on the Regal Princess inaugural Caribbean Nov 6th sailing. It has been an awesome trip. With the cast of the original Love Boat sailing with us, the wonderful weather, this exquisite and elegant ship, last night we were graced with a performance by Charo! WOW, she did not disappoint. Passion, energy, laughter and just pure fun is how I would describe her performance. She is a true STAR! I dele like I have come full circle, watching The Love Boat as a teenager and now sailing on her newest ship, watching one of it's greatest stars. Thank you Princess, you did not disappoint once again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on a cruise several years ago and Charo was the star performer. In addition to her coochi coochi act, she also delighted us with her classical guitar side. She said that her coochi act is what pays the bills, but the classical pieces is what entertains her. I hope you got to hear her play the guitar for the classics.

Edited by Treven

Charo has always been great.. She is an extremely smart woman - diametrically opposite from the "ditsy" stage persona she created for her television and stage performances.. Her beauty, unique personality, and "cuchi-cuchi" phrase catapulted her to fame in the 60s and 70s.. But her pure unabashed TALENT and serious devotion to her craft is what surprises people most when they see her live.. Most importantly, in my view, she's always been known to be a genuinely warm, friendly, approachable person offstage.... a real class act.. I've always loved her.

Rick

Edited by Rick-cruiser

FYI' date=' she is 63, not 73. Born in 1951.[/quote']

FYI Charo's date of birth is 1/15/1945. 69 years young. Well at least thats what's on IMDB.com

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

1] Vicki L. Ruíz and Virginia Sánchez Korrol (eds.), Latinas in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia (2006): "Maria Rosario Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza, known popularly as Charo or the "cuchi-cuchi" girl, was born in Spain on January 15, 1942. Charo had a judge change her legal birth date to 1952." See also the wire story, "Charo Sheds 10 Years", Associated Press, 4 November 1977: "The Spanish-born singer swore in an affidavit filed in federal court Wednesday that she was 26. Her Spanish passport said that she was 36." The amended declaration gave her birthdate as January 15, 1951 in Murcia, Spain. This would have made her 15 when she married Xavier Cugat, and a scant 13 when she was initially engaged

Who cares how old she is ! I spent a great deal of time with her at the Naming Ceremony and she was funny, gracious, energetic and plays a mean guitar. It was a pleasure getting to know her ---however old she is or isn't she rocks !!!

Who cares how old she is ! I spent a great deal of time with her at the Naming Ceremony and she was funny, gracious, energetic and plays a mean guitar. It was a pleasure getting to know her ---however old she is or isn't she rocks !!!

You're right. My friend who is still on board said the same thing.

We had the pleasure of having Charo (and she does lip-sing most of her songs) on a prior RCCL Mariner of the Seas cruise a few years ago. Also, the Ventriloquist Ron Lucas and Yakov Smirnoff also performed on past cruises. Many have been Vegas or Branson regulars in the past and resurrect their careers ion cruise ships. The duo Siegfried and Roy started on cruise ships before their Vegas run. So there is a history with certain classic entertainers and cruise ships. If you are lucky to get them, it is certainly nostalgic.

Edited by Oren

We have seen Charo perform several times here in Las Vegas in the Showroom at the Southpoint Hotel and agree she puts on a fantastic performance. DH even got a "hug" when she came out into the audience! Her CD Charo and Guitar has some great music on it.

WOW...what memories! My very first cruise was on Princess, some 30 yrs ago and Charo was the entertainment for one evening, and we were chosen to sit at the table in which she was a guest. It was so hard to eat dinner, because she kept us laughing through out the meal. Can't imagine how old she is now.

Originally Posted by GatorDoc

Excellent 3 day getaway/sampler. However, it sure looked like some lip-syncing was going on.

That happens with the Princess singers and dancers, too.

Have you ever tried to sing and dance at the same time? Tough! Really tough!

Excellent 3 day getaway/sampler. However, it sure looked like some lip-syncing was going on.

I thought the same thing. In the video if you watch when she stops playing, the guitar(s) continue to play making it look like she's the one playing. Regardless, she does a good job at entertaining. I do remember her from the 70's and haven't heard anything about her since.

Originally Posted by GatorDoc

That happens with the Princess singers and dancers, too.

Have you ever tried to sing and dance at the same time? Tough! Really tough!

We usually sail on the "little girls" and it's very obvious that the dancers are lip-syncing. Their microphone headsets are nothing more than props, and the backup singers are on the backing track. The lead singers are the only ones really singing. I don't have a problem with this other than I wish they'd give up the pretense. And yes, it is very hard to sing and dance at the same time.

The band is also playing, but they are playing along with prerecorded music to fill out the sound. The headphones the band uses are for listening to the click track.