Mixed feelings Ruby 11/3-11/8

Reader0108598

We had Any Time Dining and never had a wait. We liked going between 5:30 and 6:00. I can't answer for times later than that. We skipped dessert and coffee all but one night. The early meal time allowed us to see two different shows each night.

Couple of questions:

Did you notice for sure if they had the BOGO at 3 pm and 11 pm? Want to buy my beer that way as it is less expensive than buying the buckets.

karena1

Lines were not bad for ATD, although we only ate there twice.

DH bought a few buckets of beer, did not notice a BOGO for Beer.

I did read the patter dailey, do not recall seeing it there either.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Maybe...but there's also a tendency for people who feel they have had negative experiences to embellish them to the point of ridiculousness...

Just because one does not agree with someone else's opinion no need to diminish that opinion. In the same venue I would not dismiss your opinion that "every thing was good "as that was YOUR experience.

Happy sails !

Reader

Where did I say I was diminishing anyone's opinion? I just stated what the tendency is here on Cruise Critic. If you don't believe me spend some time reading the posts.

Edited by bdjam

Did you have Anytime Dining? Is so, were the lines crazy long? When we were on Ruby in Jan, it did not matter what time you went to ATD the lines were insane. Everyone was complaining about it. We ended up in the buffet 3 out of 5 nights because of it.

I think the lines at Anytime Dining are related to the time that you go. I have found that if I get to the dining room that has been used for early Traditional dining as soon as it switches to Anytime, I can get a table immediately. That means I need to wait until 7:30 for dinner, but that's fine with me. It seems if you decide to go at 6:00 - which seems to be a peak time - you have to wait.

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Where did I say I was diminishing anyone's opinion? I just stated what the tendency is here on Cruise Critic. If you don't believe me spend some time reading the posts.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[I]

"Maybe...but there's also a tendency for people who feel they have had negative experiences to embellish them to the point of ridiculousness[/I]

Sorry but that statement above struck me as diminishing another persons opinion. If I am wrong I stand corrected.

Reader Edited by Reader0108598

[quote name='Reader0108598'][I]

"Maybe...but there's also a tendency for people who feel they have had negative experiences to embellish them to the point of ridiculousness[/I]

Sorry but that statement above struck me as diminishing another persons opinion. If I am wrong I stand corrected.

Reader[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well I guess it depends on how you look at it - is a ridiculously embellished opinion really an opinion? Or is it just a fantastic story?[/FONT]

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well I guess it depends on how you look at it - is a ridiculously embellished opinion really an opinion? Or is it just a fantastic story?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well I guess you are right it depends on how you look at it...

No matter, I wish you happy sails!

Reader Edited by Reader0108598

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think the lines at Anytime Dining are related to the time that you go. I have found that if I get to the dining room that has been used for early Traditional dining as soon as it switches to Anytime, I can get a table immediately. That means I need to wait until 7:30 for dinner, but that's fine with me. It seems if you decide to go at 6:00 - which seems to be a peak time - you have to wait.[/FONT][/quote]

unfortunately that is not true. We went at various times, 7, 7:30, 8, 8:30 and it was nuts no matter what time you went. It was the talk of the ship the 5 days we were on Ruby. Everyone complained about it. And the weird thing about it, when we did wait, once we got in, there were tons of tables open. So obviously they did not have enough staff. One night the head waiter waited on us, b/c no wait staff was available.

I think I have decided to take our formal stuff with us, see how the first night goes, and if it is as bad as it was in Jan, we just won't dress for formal and just go to the buffet instead. I am not eating at 5 or 6, that is way to early. But we do this on all cruise lines and Ruby was by far the worst we have ever encountered. and like I said, it was not just us, you could ask anyone on the ship that had ATD and they all said the same thing - it was horrible.

[quote name='karena1']unfortunately that is not true. We went at various times, 7, 7:30, 8, 8:30 and it was nuts no matter what time you went. It was the talk of the ship the 5 days we were on Ruby. Everyone complained about it. And the weird thing about it, when we did wait, once we got in, there were tons of tables open. So obviously they did not have enough staff. One night the head waiter waited on us, b/c no wait staff was available.

I think I have decided to take our formal stuff with us, see how the first night goes, and if it is as bad as it was in Jan, we just won't dress for formal and just go to the buffet instead. I am not eating at 5 or 6, that is way to early. But we do this on all cruise lines and Ruby was by far the worst we have ever encountered. and like I said, it was not just us, you could ask anyone on the ship that had ATD and they all said the same thing - it was horrible.[/QUOTE]

We were on the 11/3 and 11/8 sailings and had ATD. We had dinner at both ATD dining rooms at various times during both sailings and had a wait for a table for 2 only once and it was so short that by the time we had ordered a glass of wine at Vines, our pager went off before it was served. So I don't thing EVERYONE was complaining nor that it was horrible. We did find service a little better in Da Vinci rather than Michelangelo, but that could have been a factor of the number of guests the waitstaff had assigned for the time.

[quote name='VaCruzers']We were on the 11/3 and 11/8 sailings and had ATD. We had dinner at both ATD dining rooms at various times during both sailings and had a wait for a table for 2 only once and it was so short that by the time we had ordered a glass of wine at Vines, our pager went off before it was served. So I don't thing EVERYONE was complaining nor that it was horrible. We did find service a little better in Da Vinci rather than Michelangelo, but that could have been a factor of the number of guests the waitstaff had assigned for the time.[/QUOTE]

we too were on the Nov 3rd Ruby sailing. No problems getting a table for two at approximately 7:30 PM. Both of us did come home with a cold. Food is a very subjective thing as had been stated many times before. I strongly believe that cruiselines simply cannot compete with a quality restaurant onshore. They are cooking for masses of people. Freshness is a challenge. All meat starts out frozen. I found the food to be just fine. I really don't expect gourmet dining while cruising. We did have some real issues with Sabatini's and I will never go back. I wouldn't even return if it was offered free. Princess has burned that bridge with me.
Regarding the wait to board. I do understand that some things like border services are out of the cruiselines control but they have a vested interest in assuring the passegers have a good vacation experience and should have a voice in staffing requirements Re Border Service. A first time cruiser may never choose a cruise again because of disaster boarding in Fort Lauderdale. A very carefully worded apology after the fact regarding the event might direct frustration in the proper direction. As usual we heard nothing from the cruise staff. All we got was rumors.....

We were on the Ruby starting Nov 8th and thought it was great. Except for a large group that dominated the rear pool area, the ship felt empty. The ship sailed down 800 guests. I thought the Horizon Court food was ample and varied. Princess could learn to use some seasonings though. The shows weren't exceptional but they have been sliding for years. We saw a female singer in one of the lounges and she was excellent. We arrived to embark at 10am and it seemed a little disjointed but we were having lunch by noon. Disembarking, we self assisted and had a 750am time and were outside waiting on our ride by 810. Every trip is different. I don't remember the CD's name but he was as boring as drying paint. The ACD was much better with comedic timing and energy. She was everywheres. Now we just have to wait for April.