Bottled Water Package on Dawn

blufroggirl79

you CAN bring water onboard, unless they've recently changed this. Water and pop (soda)- as much as you like. However if you don't want to drag it with you, there is a package once you board- go to the atrium and they will have tables set up for both wine packages (buy 6-8 bottles and get a 20% discount) and water packages... the more water you buy, the cheaper it is per bottle. They are 20oz. bottles... Aquafina I think. It's not a great price of course, but I don't remember thinking it was awful either.

FYI the ship's water is really good. We ended up buying the 6 bottle package, and just refilled the bottles from the sink and put them in the fridge as needed.

New Orleans will allow you to bring unlimited water and soda on board. What they won't do is allow you to check it as baggage, you must carry it yourself.

There are now three ports that NCL uses that don't allow checking your drinks, New Orleans, Tampa and Bayport in Houston. Take as much as you can carry.

Is it ok if the water/pop is inside a carry-on suitcase?

yes- you can even put it all in a duffle bag just for that- then either use the duffle for the souveniers you purchase, or just fold it up and stick it in the suitcase on the way home. That poster was referring to just sticking a room tag right onto the case of water/pop and checking it without secondary containment- which is allowed at other ports, but not NO, Tampa, or Houston.

I think it was something like $21 for 5-6 large bottles of water. They will deliver them to the room later that day (though the lady let me take one with me at that time).

I always sign up poolside (starboard)

I always bring my own regular sized glass from home so I can have a nice big glass of ice water. Don't mind the little glasses in the restaurants, but there's nothing like a big glass of ice water after coming back on board from a hot excursion!

Does anyone know if there is a bottled water package available on the Dawn? We are sailing out of New Orleans and I read somewhere that we cannot bring water on board with us. I cannot find anything about it on the NCL website.

As others have told, there is a water package available on all ships, although even with the package the bottles are ridiculously highly priced.

Also the onboard water quality.. no, taste, is debatable. Having very clean water here in Finland, we are used to water that has no chlorine taste and because of all the norovirus etc risks while onboard, they do add quite noticable amount of chlorine to the ship's water after it has been filtered/purified to prevent any bacteria and viruses from thriving in the water pipes around the ship. Because of the taste on most ships we don't drink water from the cabin tap (water in bars/restaurants/etc is carbon filtered and doesn't have the chlorine taste).

But even with the chlorine taste the water from cabin tap is technically purer than the water in most factory bottled waters. I'd still always suggest bringing your own water, even in the ports where porters won't allow them to be checked in but are needed to carried onboard with carryon luggage.

Does anyone else notice they retain a lot of water on a cruise? I'm in my 60's, not diabetic but I do take a diuretic. I've noticed after a few days on board my ankles are puffy and legs feel "hard." Research points to desalination process. Not sure if this is truly correct. Wonder if I should be drinking bottled water. Problem is, I'm cheap!

Any thoughts?

Does anyone else notice they retain a lot of water on a cruise? I'm in my 60's, not diabetic but I do take a diuretic. I've noticed after a few days on board my ankles are puffy and legs feel "hard." Research points to desalination process. Not sure if this is truly correct. Wonder if I should be drinking bottled water. Problem is, I'm cheap!

Any thoughts?

Sounds to me like the sodium in the food is causing this. There is a lot of sodium in the food in all restaurants: MDR, buffet and specialty. You cannot get around it, it seems. I retain water on cruises as well, but lose it after 3-4 days at home eating regular food.