OCD Planner's Mah-valous Mediterranean Adventure on Serenade of the Seas

ace1zoe2

More of the Duomo Facade and the Bell Tower:

IMG_2413_zps2aba1eb3.jpg

IMG_2420_zps76d78b07.jpg

IMG_2422_zps776fb5f8.jpg

Notice the people at the top of the Dome. By climbing the dome (for a fee) you get wonderful views of Florence.

IMG_2423_zpsf876fe46.jpg

For even better views, with less wait and cost, you can climb the bell tower of the Duomo.

IMG_2424_zps47ad6149.jpg

Another shot of the Bell Tower:

IMG_2430_zps17eba399.jpg

The Baptistry was "undercover" and going through some restoration while we were there... this would be the first of many sights that would be "undercover" during our trip.

Palazzo Vecchio:

IMG_2433_zps90191b07.jpg

Fountain of Neptune:

IMG_2435_zpsf8cf791b.jpg

The David replica which is outdoors. To see the real David you would visit the Accademia for 8 euros per person plus a 4 euro fee per person. It is best to pre-purchase tickets for this museum or you will spend hours waiting in line. Just make sure you purchase ticket through the official museum site so that you aren't paying a mark-up to a middle man. Rick Steves shows the official site as: firenzemusei dot it

IMG_2438_zpsb380f6bf.jpg

Ponte Vecchio Bridge:

IMG_2458_zps81835549.jpg

There are people actually living *on* the bridge?

Raxter,

I'm not sure about that... we didn't actually go on the bridge as it is all jewelry & shopping from what I had read... and I'm not a shopper. Maybe someone else will comment if they know for sure.

Cindy

IMG_2462_zps375551ed.jpg

IMG_2463_zps62ce5b20.jpg

IMG_2464_zpsfd978da9.jpg

After the duomo we wondered around the area near the Uffizi museum and took in the free art outside. Here we saw Amerigo Vespuci who was born in Florence in the 1400's and who is the namesake for America.

IMG_2456_zps32574a62.jpg

And Donatello:

IMG_2450_zps7d15c6e2.jpg

This was the area that all the statues are in. Each was set back in an enclave and they were all great works of art available to the public at no charge.

IMG_2452_zps3bbce493.jpg

IMG_2453_zps70a1a8e2.jpg

IMG_2449_zps3570d897.jpg

IMG_2448_zpsc2d4aa86.jpg

IMG_2444_zpsec1f2732.jpg

After touring by foot the majority of the day, we stopped in a small restaurant off the main square and had dinner. Then we made our way back to our Villa for the night. We finally arrived back around 10:30pm Rome time... we had been on the ground for 15 hours and had already seen and done a lot. However, we had been up since 6:00am the day before so we were running out of energy quickly and needed some sleep.

By the time we were "home" for the night we had waked 7.52 miles!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I am the SEE-EVERYTHING-I-CAN-SEE-WHILE-I'M-THERE-AS-I-MAY-NEVER-BE-HERE-AGAIN type traveler. My hubby, not so much... he likes built in rest time... I always tell him that he can rest when we get home!

So, according to plan, we were up at 5:45am on our second morning and walking out the door at 6:15am. We were headed to Pisa, Italy a short 2 hour 20 minute drive away. We had purchased tickets to climb the Tower of Pisa at 9:00am when they became available about 3 weeks before leaving home for 18euro pp. We arrived in Pisa, located the parking area, parked and went to pay the meter... to find it accepts coins only! We have NO coins, only bills. It is early in the morning (8:20am or so) and nothing is open, there is no change machine.

Finally a shuttle bus pulled in to park and folks started unloading grills, food, etc. I worked up the courage to approach them and ask if anyone had change for a 10euro note. Unfortunately (and with my luck!) they spoke no English and I did not speak their language. We eventually decided they may have been Dutch. At some point I said "coins" and they figured out what I needed... it took about 8 of them to come up with 10 - one euro coins. I thanked them profusely and we were off to purchase our parking ticket.

We walked about 5 minutes down a side walk that lead to the entrance to the Field of Miracles. We could see the top of the tower from the parking lot and when entered the gates there it was!

Everyone had said that I would be disappointed when I saw how small it was... they were wrong! I was amazed as we approached at the extent to it leans and the fact that it is still standing after all these years.

IMG_2477_zps37144f13.jpg

IMG_2484_zps23b7b7de.jpg

This was the next "undercover" sight - the Cathedral. Our ticket to climb the tower included entrance to the cathedral as well but there was a mass going on at the time we were there so we just took outside pictures instead.

IMG_2478_zps743f0019.jpg

IMG_2489_zps057009dd.jpg

The Baptistry:

IMG_2490_zps7d247e82.jpg

About 8:45am we lined up to take the first climb of the day to the top of the tower. Debbie had a larger purse and backpack so they asked us to store them at the office. It was a quick 10 minute trip to the office to store the bags (for free) in a small locker which you placed your own items inside, then you were given a ticket to claim your items after your tour.

At precisely 9am they started allowing people inside. You are allotted 30 minutes to ascend and descend the tower. Entrance to the tower:

IMG_2482_zps71c9746e.jpg

There are 294 steps to the top. The steps are VERY worn, especially on the side that leans the most, you are literally leaning in to the wall as you climb. Because the stairs have been worn smooth, in places they are slick. I was very careful going up but even more careful coming back down.

Notice how the steps are worn in the middle at the beginning:

IMG_2497_zps24abf91f.jpg

As you go around and around on the side that leans the stairs are worn to the side and you lean against the wall:

IMG_2498_zpse378ab7d.jpg

There are places along the way that you can step in to a look-out point and let others pass you if need be. When I finally reached the top, I took a well deserved break to catch my breath!

IMG_2505_zps7fe09326.jpg

The view from the top:

IMG_2504_zpsb73bdd14.jpg

Other views from the top:

IMG_2506_zps00cc1260.jpg

We went up inside the bell tower portion and almost immediately the bells started playing. It was extremely loud to be right next to these huge bells. They played on for probably around 5 minutes. It was a neat experience that we didn't expect, we just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

IMG_2508_zps0e0179e6.jpg

IMG_2511_zpsba2bae1a.jpg

Then came time for the trip back down. I took it slow and steady!

IMG_2513_zps339d7809.jpg

The view from the bottom looking up into the tower:

IMG_2514_zps03772ab2.jpg

The Cathedral is huge. The detail of the building and doors are amazing. This set of doors are metal and the dimension on the panels is really neat.

IMG_2521_zps75d72f39.jpg

IMG_2523_zps68dc2712.jpg

IMG_2528_zps4b4d977e.jpg

IMG_2527_zps1c91b86c.jpg

The entire Field of Miracles is a walled site:

IMG_2532_zps267e0044.jpg

To purchase tickets and avoid standing in line you can visit the official website beginning 20 days ahead of your visit. You pick from 30 minute time slots. You may visit the Baptistry, the Tower, the Cathedral, the Opera Museum, the Sinopie Museum and the Monumental Cemetery. The Cathedral is free to enter with a free coupon which you pick up at the ticket office. If you purchase a ticket to any of the other attractions then the Cathedral is included on your ticket, no need to stop for the free ones.

For 2014 the prices were as follows: 1 monument for 5euro, 2 for 7euro, 3 for 8euro, 4 for 9euro. Tickets to climb the tower were 18euro per person.

The official website is: http://www.opapisa.it

www dot opapisa dot it

Around 10:30 we set out for the Frattoria Montecchio Winery located in San Donato in Poggio deep in the heart of the Chianti region of Tuscany. It was about an hour and 15 minute drive from Pisa to the winery.

We took the toll road to make it quicker. At the initial stop you receive a ticket and when you exit the toll road you insert the ticket into a machine which tells you the amount you owe. You then feed the machine coins or bills and it will make change for you.

IMG_2547_zpsb40bc62b.jpg

Another thing that I was really surprised by was the number of tunnels there are in Italy!

IMG_2548_zps2414d311.jpg

We arrived 20 or so minutes early for our 12:00 appointment. There were olive groves right next to the parking area:

IMG_2549_zpsd29d537e.jpg

Views along the way:

IMG_2551_zps4ab9c811.jpg

Main building of the winery:

IMG_2550_zpse78a1ccc.jpg

Just wondering if anyone is out there following along? I see there are several recent Med reviews and maybe that is the difference this time. In past reviews there have been lots of questions, responses, etc. but I sort of feel like I'm talking to myself this time :)

At any rate, I will continue on and hopefully pick up some followers along the way. I'm currently on day two and we will board the ship on day 5 so if that is what you're waiting for it's coming up soon!

You would prefer more pictures, less pictures, more narration, less? Hopefully, someone will see some information that will help them with future cruise plans at least.

Cindy

We arrived at the winery around 11:40am for a noon lunch/tour reservation which I had made on line several months before. We were greeted and told that they were preparing lunch and that we could take a look around the main building while we waited. Debbie & I used this time as a picture taking opportunity.

This is an old barrel that they have cut down & made in to a display. Notice that it is oval - not round like the barrel you normally see. Also it is huge compared to the oak barrels.

IMG_2552_zps7e9d5517.jpg

On the outdoor patio they had little bistro tables that you could sit and drink wine in the warmer months. Notice all the terra-cotta... I'll tell you about that a little later on.

IMG_2555_zps496a61b9.jpg

The tasting room and decor:

IMG_2557_zpsbabc36d0.jpg

IMG_2558_zps66ad949a.jpg

The dining room with original ceilings and floors:

IMG_2560_zps660037de.jpg

We were on the same ship with you. It is fun to see what you did after following your plans on the meet and mingle thread. Love the pics!

We thought the ship was wonderful and a great way to see so many ports--would love to see what your thoughts were as it was our first time to Europe!

Reading and enjoying the photos.:)

Thanks for commenting Bob. Glad you are enjoying the photos.

Definitely following. Beautiful pictures.

Thanks for following along & letting me know there is someone out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the same ship with you. It is fun to see what you did after following your plans on the meet and mingle thread. Love the pics!

We thought the ship was wonderful and a great way to see so many ports--would love to see what your thoughts were as it was our first time to Europe!

Thanks for taking time to read my report. We loved the ship as well. We did have one major blip along the way but got it all worked out in the end.

This was our first trip to Europe by cruise ship which allowed us to visit a lot of different places in a short period of time.

Our daughter lived in London for 4 years so we visited there twice with side trips to Paris & Edinborough, Scotland.

This will end up being quite lengthy since I'm only on day 2 of 16 but I will enjoy re-living every minute of our time there!

The drive to Siena was a short 30 minutes. The hardest part was finding parking while staying out of the ZTL zones. Most of the walled towns are limited zone traffic areas and no non-resident traffic is allowed. The signs are camera equipped and I had read that most people don't realize they will be ticketed for entering the area. We tried to be VERY careful and are praying that we don't receive any surprise tickets in the mail!

Following! GREAT report so far...I'm on page 1 by the way.

Mary

totally enjoying it all! Your photos are amazing-such detail; and you have a great writing style. Looking forward to the next 14 days of your trip.

Haha yep, I hear you, me as well :p Great review and superb pics!!

Following along... Thank you

Following! GREAT report so far...I'm on page 1 by the way.

Mary

Thanks guys! Now I'm feeling the love ;)

Plan to post more at lunch then again tonight.

At noon our lovely host came to take us on a private tour of the property which lasted about 45 minutes. She spoke wonderful English with an Italian accent... I could listen to her all day.

First we went outside behind the building we had been in to see the Villa which was built in 1768. The current owners purchased the Vineyard in the 1970's and returned it to it's grand state which you see today.

IMG_2573_zps8b5f5d89.jpg

IMG_2571_zps01e78789.jpg

IMG_2575_zps4f304651.jpg

A small church attached to the side of the Villa:

IMG_2596_zps5e9f84d1.jpg

Entrance to the Villa (I believe this is a private entrance as we entered from the side in front of the Cellars):

IMG_2593_zps5414d547.jpg