Cunard Trivia 3

loubetti

Again, no Google!

This will be one with old and new questions.

1. Aquitania, of 1914, often referred to as "ship beautiful", had a major modification made to her bridge early on. What did Cunard do to it and why was it done?

2. Queen Mary 2 has her Diesel engines located in the engine room (down low). However, she also has two gas turbines (think modified airplane jet engines). Where are these engines located?

3. Many years after her scrapping in 1950, the bell from Aquitania was placed on which Cunard ship, and where was she placed on board?

4. While designing and building QE2, and before christening the ship, Cunard had a designation for the ship, and it was NOT the ship yard number. What was this designation / name, and why was the number they used what it was? I believe that early on they had a lounge on the ship using this name, and that might have what later became the officers wardroom, but I could be wrong.

Again, no Google!

This will be one with old and new questions.

1. Aquitania, of 1914, often referred to as "ship beautiful", had a major modification made to her bridge early on. What did Cunard do to it and why was it done?

2. Queen Mary 2 has her Diesel engines located in the engine room (down low). However, she also has two gas turbines (think modified airplane jet engines). Where are these engines located?

3. Many years after her scrapping in 1950, the bell from Aquitania was placed on which Cunard ship, and where was she placed on board?

4. While designing and building QE2, and before christening the ship, Cunard had a designation for the ship, and it was NOT the ship yard number. What was this designation / name, and why was the number they used what it was? I believe that early on they had a lounge on the ship using this name, and that might have what later became the officers wardroom, but I could be wrong.

You might be thinking of the observation lounge which was on upper deck below the wardroom and accessed from Stairway A. This room was removed and the galley extended many years ago, but you could still see where the windows used to be.

You might be thinking of the observation lounge which was on upper deck below the wardroom and accessed from Stairway A. This room was removed and the galley extended many years ago, but you could still see where the windows used to be.

Nope, note close. This change is so obvious externally, and remember that I mentioned the bridge...

Strictly from memory:

AQUITANIA's bridge was raised on deck higher, I assume for visibility.

Never knew her bell was saved, have to pass on that.

QM2's turbines are located behind her funnel.

736 was the yard number for QE2, and as originally built she had a "736 Club" which I believe was a combination nightclub and coffee shop which became the Queens Grill in the early 70's refit.

Misread the QE2 question, 736 has already been discussed.

I think you are referring to "Q4", Q1 and Q2 being the original QM and QE, Q3 being the first design for QE2 as a three class ship, then finally Q4 being the two class version ultimately built.

Not sure of any room on the ship named as such. If there was, it was gone before my first sailing aboard in 1979? Or not a public area.

Can anybody play this game?

If so, here is a question: What was the employment title on the Cunard Line for the direct decendent of Czar Nicholas of Russia ?

Hint: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/david-chavchavadze-cia-spy-with-russian-royal-roots-dies-at-90/2014/11/08/ddd65f86-5ec6-11e4-9f3a-7e28799e0549_story.html

Edited by Salacia

Okay, some correct answers were given.

Aquitania's bridge was raised one deck to improve visibility.

QM2's turbines are beside the funnel.

No one said where Aquitania's bell was later displayed, so that remains an open question.

The answer and reason for "Q4" was absolutely correct, as "Q3" was an aborted project for yet another old style ocean liner.

Yes, I recall now that the observation lounge was removed for galley expansion.

Thanks all for having fun with this! :)